Spyder Garage

Default What do you do for Gas Splash on plastics?? New bike - damaged paint!

Hello...

I'll assume other Can-Am Spyder owners have splashed some gas on their Spyder when filling it up?

I had a gas splash while filling up and I cleaned the fuel off within 15 seconds... I even washed it off the right-hand service panel and wiped it dry with a microfiber towel.

2hrs later... I saw, what you can see in the pic.

Dang!!... is this normal for Can-Am painted plastics? Fugh. Only had the Spyder for 2 weeks now.

The paint is jacked. It wrinkled and cracked near the thumb screw, and deep stained it everywhere else the gas touched it. Used a DA polisher on it too. No success.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The black access panels are a pain in the butt. I just ended up spray painting mine due to all of the scratches and blemishes it was getting.

I used a Behr interior/exterior metallic blue from home depot. Prep by cleaning with alcohol; cover the latch with petroleum jelly using a qtip so the paint does not stick to it.

Then spray about 4 light coats about an hour apart. Clean the petroleum jelly off the latch with a dry qtip making sure not to get any on the painted surface.

After a couple days of curing and a nice long ride to get some heat under it and bake it in, soak it with some graphene wax and buff it out.

Pretty much bullet proof now against minor scratching and blemishes as compared to the standard paint. If you are worried about paint being permanent you can always go with some plastidip spray and just peel it off when you don't like it.

Also a lot cheaper at $9 a can compared to the $40-$50 that some websites want just for access panel decals.

With the way your panel is cracked it may be good to sand it down and prime it before going to the painting steps so you get a nice even coating.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 04-17-2024 at 03:19 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I keep a shop towel in my F3 Limited's "glovebox" specifically for gas pumps in case they don't have paper towels. I always wrap the nozzle in something as I remove it to keep from splashing residual fuel on the bodywork.

Spyder Garage

I always take a folded-up paper towel and place it under the nozzle when I fuel up just in case of a burp/overfill.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

That damage is crazy from just a gas splash. Very surprising that your paint is that soft. I knew Spyder's had soft paint but that is ridiculous.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    That damage is crazy from just a gas splash. Very surprising that your paint is that soft. I knew Spyder's had soft paint but that is ridiculous.
    .... I've actually used gas to remove , grease , tar etc. .....paint looked fine afterwards .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; Yesterday at 02:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

I put black microfiber 'wrap' on both access panels. Keeps marks from happening AND I like the look better than the shiny paint....presents a nice contrast and will not streak or spot.
    2020 Spyder F3-T

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That damage is crazy from just a gas splash.
    Yea, from the pattern of damage it looks like a pretty good amount of gas was splashed on it and it ran over to the side.
    It had to be a good bit to get the paint to crack. I have had drops hit the tank and panels and never had that happen with wiping it off right away.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; Yesterday at 02:06 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I'd guess that it ended up do bad cos the paint is so new - he's only had the bike for 2 weeks, and the story is that these modern water-based paints take something over a month of exposure to sunlight for the paint to properly harden!! Some paint guru's even say THREE months!!

So don't wash it; don't spill gas on it; don't let any birds crap on it; and don't let any bug splatter stay on it either; not for at least that first month (or three!) after un-crating!!

Sorry, that probably doesn't help you too much now, Les... But for whatever it's worth down track, or for anyone else...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!