Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What's the best way to get Paint Codes for Spyders/Rykers?

SpyderDeb wants to have her Spyder painted. A color she likes was on the after-market panels for a Ryker in a Turquoise color. I say was as they were only available in 2019. She worked with her dealer and found the paint codes to be 313C but the painter doesn't recognize that color. Apparently, the code is PMS or Pantone Matching Systems, which is used primarily for print and non-metallic colors. Without a panel in-hand, is there a better way to get a usable paint code?

Thanks!
    Wayne
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-07-2024 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    SpyderDeb wants to have her Spyder painted. A color she likes was on the after-market panels for a Ryker in a Turquoise color. I say was as they were only available in 2019. She worked with her dealer and found the paint codes to be 313C but the painter doesn't recognize that color. Apparently, the code is PMS or Pantone Matching Systems, which is used primarily for print and non-metallic colors. Without a panel in-hand, is there a better way to get a usable paint code?

Thanks!
    Wayne
    IMHO I would just choose a color that comes close to what She likes ..... BRP uses WATER based paint which isn't as sturdy as Automotive paints .... good luck ...Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-07-2024 at 01:31 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Mike! That's good to know.
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Mike! That's good to know.
    a professional car painter should be able to get you the best paint for the Spyder ..... make sure they know that BRP paint is waterbased .....Mike

Spyder Garage

I believe all the automotive paints are water base this day and age. Strict rules and regs. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2024 at 01:12 PM.
    2022 Spyder RTL- Chrome , Larger brake pedal Deep Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rhino1 View Post
    I believe all the automotive paints are water base this day and age. Strict rules and regs. I could be wrong.
    You would be correct sir. Most modern automotive and powersports paints are water based acrylic polyurethane enamel. Mostly due to environmental concerns.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

https://www.colorrite.com/ these guys may help
    Don't get mad at me if you don't like my answer.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all who responded. I called Axalta/Nason, Glen Mills, PA, and was totally impressed by their customer service agent, PJ. He communicated well (English as a first language), he took the time to listen as I explained I was a non-paint-professional, and then made recommendations. Bottom line: we got to a local Nason distributor (Car Colors, Mineral Wells, TX) and secured the color she was looking for. Color names are marketing and industrial designer-derived terms, therefore ambiguous. Color numbers are a way to communicate technical color information, although not universal. But seeing the color first-hand made the match! We are very satisfied with the interaction with Axalta and Nason! Let the paint party begin.
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rhino1 View Post
    Not all. However, most if not all production line painting Is. In production lines when it comes to certain primers, and color base coats, they are water borne, but on the "basecoat/clearcoat" process a solvent based clear is still used as its durability is not matched by water-borne (clear coats) topcoats.
    Looking at my own solid green 2023 Spyder, my guess is, it is a single component paint, i.e. no clearcoat. The paint is very soft, i.e. scratches easily.
    Furthermore, its mil-thickness is quite thin. I have not had a chance to probe into the metallic paint Can Am offers. It may have a clearcoat over it.
    I've been painting yachts, boats, motorcycles, vehicles, on and off-road for a solid 50 years, and I can tell you that such painting (due to government intervention) has gotten quite complicated.
    That stated, there are water borne coatings out there in the alkyd-based world which are incredibly tough but are more of an industrial nature like military vehicles.

However, bottom line from my own experience, for a nice durable, glossy finish, my money is on solvent based products.

Go to an automotive supply who mixes paint (most Napa Auto Parts do) and ask to see their color chip books. Most have volumes of colors. Pick one out.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; Yesterday at 07:43 PM.
    2023 Sea2Sky

Spyder Garage

Forgot to mention. My green 2023 Sea2Sky is not paint.
    The plastic "is" the color through and through.
    I assume this is the case for all Spyders, & Rykers?
    2023 Sea2Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoatFixx View Post
    Forgot to mention. My green 2023 Sea2Sky is not paint.
    The plastic "is" the color through and through.
    I assume this is the case for all Spyders, & Rykers?
    Only the black is through molded. Other colors in the PC/ABS allow used in the molding will color-shift in the injection molding process, making it hard to match colors between suppliers. On the 5 F3 models we've owned, even the pearl white was painted over black plastic base. The best paint on any consumer motorcycle is from Harley-Davidson (well, except for the denim-finish crapola that is on some of them). All of the gloss finished have been clear coated.

The painter, Aaron Smith, Weatherford, TX, is nearing completion of the paint. The Nason paint being applied is solvent-based.
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

Only the black is through molded. Other colors in the PC/ABS allow used in the molding will color-shift in the injection molding process, making it hard to match colors between suppliers. On the 5 F3 models we've owned, even the pearl white was painted over black plastic base. The best paint on any consumer motorcycle is from Harley-Davidson (well, except for the denim-finish crapola that is on some of them). All of the gloss finished have been clear coated.

The painter, Aaron Smith, Weatherford, TX, is nearing completion of the paint. The Nason paint being applied is solvent-based.
    Interesting.
    As noted, my 23' "Green Shadow" is through molded. Proven by my stealth carve out of a piece of it with a razor knife.
    2023 Sea2Sky