Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Non-painted gloss black parts - any tricks or finishes to stop them scratching easily

As I was reassembling SpyderDeb's '23 F3-L after a full body paint, I noticed that the nacelle around the gauge cluster and front speakers, as well as the covers over the rear speaker covers, are not painted. Rather, they are as-molded plastic: ABS/PC in a high-shine, diamond polished mold will yield that surface. But they scratch just looking at it.

Anyone have any tricks or finishes they apply to make those pieces more scratch resistant? Detailing sprays and elixirs don't seem to have the "body".

Wayne

Ps: The front glove box lid (over the gauge cluster) is also in the same situation.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2024 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

The only thing I can think of that will have any resilience is PPF. But those parts sound tricky to cover and you may have a hard time finding a shop willing to give it a go... Or you can DIY it with a heat gun for pliability and a LOT of patience....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I know exactly what you mean about the scratching on those black glossy pieces. Just wiping the dust off was enough to show scratches. I found a product that seems to help. It is meant I'm sure to restore the black appearance to black bumper and side trims on cars and trucks. It is called GX-3 Plastic Restorer by Cristal Products. I found it at my local Walmart. I can't attest to the long term protection abilities but it does seem to make those fine scratches disappear. I spray some into a soft rag, rub it onto the finish, let it dry to a haze, then buff lightly with a microfiber towel.
    IMG_0221.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found a hand rubbing compound (Harley-Davidson Scratch & Swirl Remover) and a good carnubu wax product (also left over from my H-D days) worked to mostly fix the light scratches and put down a slick coat that also served to minimize the remaining very light scratches. Part of the issue is nature of the beast with gloss black anything, part due to the inherent soft nature of the as-molded ABS/PC materials, and the last part due to the high surface energy of the parts that retains dirt and crud on the surface.

The surfaces are too complex to attempt to wrap, even with a thin PPF.

Anyway, it's way better than it was and time to ride it!

Thank you for your replies!
    Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    I found a hand rubbing compound (Harley-Davidson Scratch & Swirl Remover) and a good carnubu wax product (also left over from my H-D days) worked to mostly fix the light scratches and put down a slick coat that also served to minimize the remaining very light scratches. Part of the issue is nature of the beast with gloss black anything, part due to the inherent soft nature of the as-molded ABS/PC materials, and the last part due to the high surface energy of the parts that retains dirt and crud on the surface.

The surfaces are too complex to attempt to wrap, even with a thin PPF.

Anyway, it's way better than it was and time to ride it!

Thank you for your replies!
    Wayne
    I just ordered a carbon fiber cover from wrap my spyder to cover the switch cover lid. It goes all the way up on those thin sides. I watched the install video and it looks doable. Our 23 RT had a raccoon explore our spyder one night last summer in Stanley Idaho. He left a scratch on it as well as the small scratches from normal wear.
    2023 RT Limited , Red/ black