Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Harbor Freight 63397 motorcycle lift - high enough for sway bar install?

Hey all,
    Thinking of updating my 15 year old Fleet Farm motorcycle lift for something a bit more modern. My current one is still capable of lift the Spyder up around 14". I'm looking at the Harbor Freight aluminum 63397 lift. I'm wondering about it in regards to swapping out my OEM sway bar. This lift comes with extensions to gain an extra 2" of lift. This allows a max lift of 19". Is the 19" lift, along with the sway bar ground clearance enough to remove the sway bar? I'd position it forward to lift up only the front wheels, with jack stands on hand. Most importantly, would it be stable? I might have access to aluminum ramps and a truck bumper if need be. Thoughts? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I used a similar lift. It did not go high enough for a single lift and do the job. Himm. Some say - Improvise - adapt ...
    So I lifted in stages. I had some 4"x4" blocks 'bout 10" long. I lifted the F3. Blocked under all 3 tyres.
    Dropped the lift. Applied several blocks on the lift; and did it again until I had enough height.

It's really high and I wouldn't be happy with it just on the lift, with no blocks under the tyres. Yes, I had quite a few blocks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 10:22 PM.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do not believe you will get it stable enough with the aluminum jack and rear wheel still on the ground. If you are determined to salvage the OEM sway bar, best use the ramps and pickup.

When I changed mine out for the Ultra 3 pcs, I raised the Spyder up aprox 14" with stands under all 3 wheels.
    Unbolted the OEM bar, let it hang down to the floor, and 5 seconds with the gas wrench (torch), all done.

Your call. Bill
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 10:22 PM.
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

You need the extra height, even that one doesn't go high enough as is for a sway bar removal. Make yourself a scrap add-on lift platform out of some OSB and scrap 2x6's or so, like this:

20220606_205234.jpg.

I do all the wrenching with the Spyder sitting on Jack Stands and with the jack stabilizing, break all the nuts and bolts loose, then jack it up and drop the bar out. If you're putting in one of the old fashioned Sway bars, put the new bar in before letting it down. If you're putting in Baja Ron's Ultimate three piece bar you can just lower it back onto the jack stands and install.

20220606_205441med.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 10:24 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I have this lift and must say it is just "OK". When it is fully extended the Spyder is quite rocky and tends to lean to one side.
    It will not raise the bike high enough to change out your sway bar (first hand experience) not to mention it will be in the way.
    Gary
    2017 RTL Asphalt Gray Metalic
    1987 BMW K75s

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have that lift and like it when used in combination of some jack stands once you get it up, but for the one piece bar I just put my ramps on the back of my truck and that was able to get the spyder high enough to get the bar out.
    Make sure to use safety chains with the ramps and attach them to the truck so they don't slide out on you. Also make sure your tires line up on the very inside of the ramps when you go up on them to give the clearance needed on the sides to get the bar out.

IMG_20210917_131110559.jpg
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 01-21-2024 at 05:54 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Think I'll go the ramps route Thanks all

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Think I'll go the ramps route Thanks all
    If I had a truck and ramps available I reckon I would have carefully given that a crack as well.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I have that lift and like it when used in combination of some jack stands once you get it up, but for the one piece bar I just put my ramps on the back of my truck and that was able to get the spyder high enough to get the bar out.
    Make sure to use safety chains with the ramps and attach them to the truck so they don't slide out on you. Also make sure your tires line up on the very inside of the ramps when you go up on them to give the clearance needed on the sides to get the bar out.

IMG_20210917_131110559.jpg
    I have done several in a similar way. Did all the nuts and bolts on lower blocks, and friend showed up for a couple minutes to swap the bars.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

The ramp/pictures show the correct way. Don't run the ramps up to a tailgate. Their supports can fail. DISASTER!!!!!
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Another vote for the ramps and rear of truck. I also would not use the ramps off the tailgate. In fact, I backed my trailer onto a set of car ramps (to get it higher), then I put some 6' ramps on the rear of the trailer. Just remember to tie everything off, ramps, spyder, etc.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Ramps for me too. If you put your mind to it there are other ways you can safely support the ramps to get the height you need.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Did this just last week or so. Lots of safeties: ramps, straps, floor jack, wheel chock. Stable as can be.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    I used a similar lift. It did not go high enough for a single lift and do the job. Himm. Some say - Improvise - adapt ...
    So I lifted in stages. I had some 4"x4" blocks 'bout 10" long. I lifted the F3. Blocked under all 3 tyres.
    Dropped the lift. Applied several blocks on the lift; and did it again until I had enough height.

It's really high and I wouldn't be happy with it just on the lift, with no blocks under the tyres. Yes, I had quite a few blocks.
    I have that exact lift. It is not high enough as it sits. I ended up adding a couple of boards and was able to then remove the sway bar.

Spyder Garage

I'll likely buy this lift once it goes on sale to replace my current antiquated one. I'll still use the ramp method for my sway bar swap.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

For me the actual bar swap took less time than getting it into a good position to access it.

BTW. You hear stories about stuff and what a difference they make.
    I have done many things to quite a few bikes. I had a smile on my face within 100m of my test ride.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

I changed mine off a set of car ramps. Worked for me, yes you can't have a dance under there, but it worked for my old iron.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I used 84" long 2500 lb rated ramps tied to the rear bumper of my Ram 3500 with four (4) 2000 lb straps. I also used jack stands under the middle section of the ramps to prevent drooping. Also chocked the rear wheel with 4x4 lumber once in position. Worked very well and was for sure very safe. Due to height of the truck I had about 24" of clearance, so lots of room... YMMV
    Last edited by WRCLVR; 01-25-2024 at 08:33 AM.
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back at dealer shop until screen errors , heated grip errors and now ABS errors showing up at the shop are FIXED )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 7 months of owning....)
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 4 inch brake pedal extender SlingMods Phoenix Orange black wheel edition

Spyder Garage

Just cut it. I made the old swaybar into a nice prybar.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kamper View Post
    Just cut it. I made the old swaybar into a nice prybar.
    What did you use tool wise to cut the bar?

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I changed mine off a set of car ramps.
    This. Just get all of the bolts removed, then use a car jack to lift one side to slip the bar out and the new one in. That part takes about two minutes. The other side will still be on the car ramp. Then let it back down and put everything back together. Completely safe and works a treat.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

I used an automotive floor jack, raised the spyder up about a foot, let it rest on jack stands under the lower control arms, dropped the jack, added some 2x4 wood blocks on the jack cradle and raised the spyder to give me 24" of clearance, then raised the jackstands, Kind of a nuisance, but it's a one-time thing.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Just browsing FB market place and came across the HF 63397 lift listed for sale 20 miles from my house. Great shape for $100. Cool 😊

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Just browsing FB market place and came across the HF 63397 lift listed for sale 20 miles from my house. Great shape for $100. Cool ��
    Maybe you should have stopped and purchased a lottery ticket on the way back home.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue