Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I always wanted to ride a bike, my older brother had one when I was a kid but had an accident that laid him up a while, so I never acted on my interest until, at turning 50, I decided "If not now, when?" and bought a new Honda Shadow and went to learn to ride it. 14 years, about 200,000 km and three bikes later (Yamaha 1300 v-twin, Harley Dyna and Yamaha Venture) I was reaching the point where low speed maneouvering was really starting to be difficult and after a couple minor incidents that COULD have been much worse, I decided I either had to find a solution or give up riding. I have a couple riding buddies with spyders and they encouraged me to think about making the move... and so glad I did!! Only a couple thousand clicks in so far, but it has been such a relief to see that I can have as much fun as on 2 wheels... and feel more confident that I won't fall over in a parking lot again!!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'm 71 now but 4 years ago felt 2 wheels a passenger and lots of luggage was getting a bit too much for my knees and physical strength, saw a spyder at a local rally and thought what a good idea, saved up and bought a 2014RT, as I rode out of the dealer with it I thought, this was not made by a motorbike manufacturer, sometime later when I came to service it I was right, nothing about the build or build quality made sense, yes I agree it's fun to ride and i've put 30,000 miles on it in 3 years, but any small job I want to do on it is a real headache. my goldwing 1500 is now triked and I'm thinking why didn't I do this in the first place, while the spyder has never let me down but I find it a bit uncomfortable without an airhawk even with a comfort seat and I'm only 5ft 4in. My 24 year old goldwing makes more sense, is more comfortable even without an airhawk, doen't have the up to date entertainment system that keeps wiping my settings every time I mute the sound. Would not buy another Spyder. Even the simplest jobe like replacing a headlamp bulb is an ordeal and every part is so expensive considering how badly made it is.
    Sorry BRP impressed with the idea but not impressed with the quality.
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rugercharger View Post
    to the spyder community. i guess i just had it with the motorcycle publications and general motorcycle 2 wheel community and their rants about profiling spyder buyers as people who cant ride a 2 wheel motorcyce, or dont have good balance on two wheels or are just intimidated just thinking about it.
    I agree that the 2 wheeled community is unreasonably biased against the Spyder. It is because they want to preserve the illusion that 2 wheels are the ultimate ride and that nothing can compete or compare. They are wrong. But it is because they aren't interested in the facts. When you don't have an argument. The only thing left to you is a rant.

I purchased a Spyder back in 2007 because Lamont told me to. He was surprised because I've made a habit of NOT doing what he tells me to do. It keeps our relationship interesting!

When I first got my Spyder I hated it. I mean it was as bad as any purchase I have ever made. And I've made some bad ones. I was not mad at Lamont. I was mad that I'd finally taken his advise! But I was committed. 1- because I had over $15K invested. And 2, because Lamont was out riding me on his Spyder, (his delivered a month before mine did). I was trying to keep up with him, and I couldn't do it. I told him to take it easy on me! He said: 'I am taking it easy on you'! So, I had to stick with it. And I am glad I did.

I could then, and I still can ride 2 wheels. Same with Lamont. Both Lamont and I had M109R's at that time. I love riding 2 wheels! But I also love riding my Spyder. The experience is different, of course. But my Spyder is every bit as much fun to ride as my M109R. And that is saying a lot! I've had a lot of great motorcycles over the years. And my all time favorite 2 wheeler is the Suzuki M109R I now own. They are both a blast to ride! Just a different blast.

My brother, a current FJR rider, has given me a lot of grief about riding an 'Old Man's Trike' ever since I got my Spyder. He just came out to visit me in late October. I now have a Ryker and I offered to go riding with him. He on the Ryker, me on my Spyder. We took a 1 hour ride through the mountains near me here in Greeneville, TN. He was impressed and said, though he missed leaning, he really liked the Ryker.

While it is true that the Spyder offers an alternative solution to those who will not, or cannot ride 2 wheels. This is not the Spyder's only attribute. So, it is also true that the Spyder has gotten an undeserved reputation as being an old man's, woman's, fearful, person who can't ride 2 wheels anymore, alternative to the real thing. But in fact, it holds its own in the fun, excitement and enjoyment aspect with its cousins, the 2 wheeled machines. It's a shame that so many have foolishly removed themselves from the awesome possibilities of owning a Spyder.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-08-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

My last bike was a Honda Valkyrie and I loved it! Unfortunately back surgery slowly took the fun away for me. It was a very heavy bike and although I loved it it wasn't really safe for me to drive. After selling it I thought that was the end. As some of you can probably relate to, It got to the point where I would start hating every bike I saw after that. Of course It was jealousy, but made for some miserable summers. Saw a group of Spyders riding one day and said "I want one!" Since I have always liked riding something different (I had a Honda in Milwaukee!) and the fact that when I talked about getting one some bikers I know cut them down (even more incentive) I purchased my 2018 RTL and haven't looked back!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post

My last bike was a Honda Valkyrie and I loved it! Unfortunately back surgery slowly took the fun away for me. It was a very heavy bike and although I loved it it wasn't really safe for me to drive. After selling it I thought that was the end. As some of you can probably relate to, It got to the point where I would start hating every bike I saw after that. Of course It was jealousy, but made for some miserable summers. Saw a group of Spyders riding one day and said "I want one!" Since I have always liked riding something different (I had a Honda in Milwaukee!) and the fact that when I talked about getting one some bikers I know cut them down (even more incentive) I purchased my 2018 RTL and haven't looked back!
    Way to go! That's the way to do it!

We had a very nice couple here for some time. Their story went something like this.

They started out on a Harley and rode with a group of fellow Harley riders. They really enjoyed riding and the people in the group. But the wife never felt quite secure on the back. So they started looking around for something that suited them better and they both liked the idea of getting a Spyder. After test riding an RT, they were sure. They ended up getting an RT, and they both loved it. But there was a problem. The Harley group that they'd grown to love gave them a lot of grief about their new Spyder. Thinking the negativity would subside with time, they hung in there for awhile. But sadly, things did not improve and they finally decided to cave, sold their Spyder and purchased another Harley so they could fit in again.

It's hard for me to see a group like that as being real friends. Sure, you might rib a guy some about a new ride. But seriously folks. If you ride what you want. What is the harm in letting the next guy do the same without giving them grief about it?

I am sorry. But frankly, I just don't get it.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-08-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

We had a very nice couple here for some time. Their story went something like this.

They started out on a Harley and rode with a group of fellow Harley riders. They really enjoyed riding and the people in the group. But the wife never felt quite secure on the back. So they started looking around for something that suited them better and they both liked the idea of getting a Spyder. After test riding an RT, they were sure. They ended up getting an RT, and they both loved it. But there was a problem. The Harley group that they'd grown to love gave them a lot of grief about their new Spyder. Thinking the negativity would subside with time, they hung in there for awhile. But sadly, things did not improve and they finally decided to cave, sold their Spyder and purchased another Harley so they could fit in again.

It's hard for me to see a group like that as being real friends. Sure, you might rib a guy some about a new ride. But seriously folks. If you ride what you want. What is the harm in letting the next guy do the same without giving them grief about it?

That is crazy! My brother had a V65 magna the same time as I did. His friends gave him a hard time too (probably because they couldn't keep up!) He is now in his 3rd Harley (still looking for a good one?) and doesn't ride any of them as much as he did his Honda. They will even go to Daytona Bike Week and have their bikes trailered there and back. I think they just go to bring back the T-shirts.
    I feel the same way as you, I will ride with anyone, and if your friends tell you what you have to ride they are not worth it!
    Friends don't let friends ride Harleys

Spyder Garage

That attitude is all to common around here. I live 45 miles north of Amarillo, Tx. The HD dealership there is extremely successful and the local HOG chapter is one of the largest in the nation. Most of the HD owners around here have the attitude of, "if it's not a Harley, it's not a real bike." I've listened to that kind of stuff for a very long time here since I started riding in 1968 on Hondas. When I made the transition to BMWs, the hostility/jealousy only got worse. Now that I have the Spyder RT, it is even worse. Funny thing is that when I invite one of the naysayers to get on their real bike and try to keep up with my pretend bike, they never want to go--wonder why?

Of course there are a few HD owners who don't buy into that crap, but they are few and far between in this neck of the woods.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

There`s something special about bikes. The riding, the farkling, the looking at the bike while in winter storage and longing for spring. I bought my first bike after University with one of my first paycheck. A red Honda 350 or 400. The day I picked it up I had to ask the salesman to explain to me how we are supposed to ride these things. After 5 minutes in the parking lot, off I went. No clue I could kill myself on these things. Sold it a few years later and waited until my fifties to go back. I started to lurk this site after my crash in 2008 on my BMW R1200GS. Five BMW`s and 2 Honda`s later, I bought a 2018 F3L. I liked it right away, just two minutes into my demo ride. Now my wife has started to ride with me and she is enjoying it. Life is good on a Spyder.

Be safe

J
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    That attitude is all to common around here. I live 45 miles north of Amarillo, Tx. The HD dealership there is extremely successful and the local HOG chapter is one of the largest in the nation. Most of the HD owners around here have the attitude of, "if it's not a Harley, it's not a real bike." I've listened to that kind of stuff for a very long time here since I started riding in 1968 on Hondas. When I made the transition to BMWs, the hostility/jealousy only got worse. Now that I have the Spyder RT, it is even worse. Funny thing is that when I invite one of the naysayers to get on their real bike and try to keep up with my pretend bike, they never want to go--wonder why?

Of course there are a few HD owners who don't buy into that crap, but they are few and far between in this neck of the woods.
    Not all Harley riders are so biased, of course. Some are quite accepting of anyone who rides anything. But it seems for many, that something happens to them when they swing their leg over a Hog. Somehow, their entire attitude changes at that moment. They won't wave, they won't even look. I know it bothers some. But I don't let their negativity drag me down. I love riding and I'm not going to give another rider the power to damage my enjoyment.

I always wave. If they don't wave back I figure it's their problem. Not mine. I smile and ride on. Besides, maybe they were clutching, had their eye on something else, who knows. I've not waved for those reasons myself. But never to dis the other rider.

I am not quite sure what causes some to turn into haters. And it's not only Harley owners. Some high end riders (BMW, Ducati) and sport bike riders have this same problem. It doesn't have to be that way and I do what I can to be friendly. I'm more interested in finding people who share my riding style than what they ride.

Spyder Garage

I bought my spyder to start the transition from 2 wheels. Knees, hips, ankles, etc just ain't what they used to be. The "wave" was mentioned a couple times. Interesting that when I drive my Star 1300 I get about 95% people wave back. Road the spyder the other day. You guessed it, about 20% waved back. I honestly don't care what anyone rides. I still wave and agree with Ron. Ride safe all!

PS. The more I ride the RT the more I like it.

Spyder Garage

I'm a healthy 62 year old rider, who has been riding since age 12. In my riding time, I have owned 25+ motorcycles. My first experience with Spyders was when I sold motorcycles at a multi line dealership after retiring from my career job. I had fun riding the RT Spyders, but they just weren't my style. The F3 line came out just as I quit the selling gig. Fast forward to this year, and I got a bug to look into the F3 line closer. At that time I owned a 2016 Triumph 800 Tiger XCx and a 2009 H-D FLHT, both bought new. I knew I wanted the F3-S. After getting a nice trade quote for my Tiger, I pulled the trigger on my F3-S. It was going to be my play toy. Then I bought Shad luggage and a Madstad windshield kit (20" light gray/14" dark gray), and it now has become my day in/day out rider. This thing is a hoot ! A couple of riding buddies have ridden it, and they see what I see in it. I'll be adding a Dynojet PV3 over the winter, along with my already drilled/K&N air box mod and cat delete pipe to boost my oomph. I also have bought an upgraded swaybar to add over the winter. A buddy/I went down to the Ozarks the first week in October and it was a blast !! My buddy thoroughly enjoyed it on a brisk ride thru some twisties. Gonna be taking it to the Rockies in June and Sturgis in August next year. The H-D won't be neglected, but it won't get as much attention as it used to

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Not all Harley riders are so biased, of course. Some are quite accepting of anyone who rides anything. But it seems for many, that something happens to them when they swing their leg over a Hog. Somehow, their entire attitude changes at that moment. They won't wave, they won't even look. I know it bothers some. But I don't let their negativity drag me down. I love riding and I'm not going to give another rider the power to damage my enjoyment.

I always wave. If they don't wave back I figure it's their problem. Not mine. I smile and ride on. Besides, maybe they were clutching, had their eye on something else, who knows. I've not waved for those reasons myself. But never to dis the other rider.

I am not quite sure what causes some to turn into haters. And it's not only Harley owners. Some high end riders (BMW, Ducati) and sport bike riders have this same problem. It doesn't have to be that way and I do what I can to be friendly. I'm more interested in finding people who share my riding style than what they ride.
    I always think about how many people are riding bikes they didn't even want (or couldn't afford) just to try to fit in? Peer pressure is tough

Spyder Garage

Default our story is soooo similar

Been riding two wheels my whole life (just hit 70 years young). Have had many bikes the favorite was the Valkyrie. We rode that together many times especially for our "burger dates". But it was getting too heavy and I wasn't comfortable two up. It was replaced with two bikes progressively smaller (the last being a Vulcan single seat). But - even by myself my lack of stability was becoming more evident. Wanting to continue riding - don't recall how I came across the Spyder. Did a lot of research, a lot of reading here and discussed the purchase with my wife - closest friend and confidant. She thought some and concluded "we can go on burger dates with it". End of story. And I love the Spyder.

Roger - ride safe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reader47 View Post
    Been riding two wheels my whole life (just hit 70 years young). Have had many bikes the favorite was the Valkyrie. We rode that together many times especially for our "burger dates". But it was getting too heavy and I wasn't comfortable two up. It was replaced with two bikes progressively smaller (the last being a Vulcan single seat). But - even by myself my lack of stability was becoming more evident. Wanting to continue riding - don't recall how I came across the Spyder. Did a lot of research, a lot of reading here and discussed the purchase with my wife - closest friend and confidant. She thought some and concluded "we can go on burger dates with it". End of story. And I love the Spyder.

Roger - ride safe.
    Burger dates are the best! So are pie dates!
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Been riding something with less than 4 wheels and an engine since a Sears & Roebuck mini-bike in 1967. Got married in 1992, she liked to ride but due to an auto accident her back didn't take well to leaning over, so we picked up a Trike Shop (now RoadSmith) Runabout, a VW based trike she had for 10 years. We sold that when we decided to seriously tour, and got a Gold Wing GL1500 trike, then upgraded to an 1800. Things change, as things do, and 700 mile days gave way to a 43' toyhauler and riding when we got there, not just to there. During all this I still rode my 1990 Harley FLHS, aquired a 2013 Triumph Bonneville, and she had a longing for the old VW trike, so we got a Trike Shop Roadhawk. She had an auto transmission in the VW trikes, and was never comfortable piloting the Gold Wings where she had to use both hands and both feet and all the other controls, and she really didn't like the Roadhawk as it was longer and handled very differently than she remembered the Runabout.

Come the New Hampton Motorcycle Rally (Formerly the Davis Rally - it is now run by the local Boy Scouts.) she took a Spyder for a ride, and with the SE6 transmission and one brake pedal, the die was cast. We picked up a 2018 RTL in November of 2018. We have been downsizing, sold the Roadhawk, then the Harley and the Goldwing. We are down to the Bonneville and the Spyder.

I have gotten the "That's not a motorcycle." about the trikes since our first VW 3-wheeler. I just smile and say, "Nope, it's not. It's a trike. But my knees are in the same breeze as yours are." With the Spyder it is often noted, usually a bit sarcastically, that it looks like a snowmobile. I'll reply, "Well, it is made by Bombardier, and they make Ski-Doo sleds, so I guess this is a Landmobile. They're both fun, let's go ride!"
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

I have been riding motorcycles for 48 years now. I have owned every Japanese brand, BMW's, Triumphs, Harleys and a Victory. I do not now nor have I ever felt the need to identify with a brand (nor wear a Pirate suit).

My wife and I have traveled all over the country and a few years ago started to pull a trailer to increase our comfort on the road. We started with a cargo trailer and then moved to a small Camper trailer. My last tow vehicle was a Victory Cross Roads which carried the two of us and the trailer just fine but I found that traffic tie ups and dirt roads were beginning to tax me when fully loaded. Consequently, after some research, we bought a leftover 2018 F3L SE6 last February. It was a learning experience for me to shed the two wheel muscle memory but I will have to say that I am so much more at ease in all conditions on this beast. I have covered several states this summer and look forward to many more miles of travel, sightseeing, rallies and camping. It was an excellent choice. In fact, my wife liked it so much she bought a Ryker 600 and just loves it. I seldom have the pleasure of riding two up anymore.

I sold the Victory but bought a used BMW R1100R to stay with two wheels as the mood strikes. I have the best of both worlds.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)