Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default why i purchased my spyder

to the spyder community. i guess i just had it with the motorcycle publications and general motorcycle 2 wheel community and their rants about profiling spyder buyers as people who cant ride a 2 wheel motorcyce, or dont have good balance on two wheels or are just intimidated just thinking about it.

I for one bought my spyder rt because i was getting uncomfortable with my wife as a passenger on my victory cross country that we enjoyed for 8 years. ever since she was involved in a pretty bad automobile accident she was paranoid any time someone looked like they were going to pull out in front of us. this started affecting my confidence with riding with her on the back of my bike. i had a decision to make. just ride by myself and enjoy my beast of a bike, which was no fun without her, or consider an alternative that she would feel more confident with. she felt more secure sitting on the rt when we looked at it. so i did what any loving husband would do, i gave up the victory, and purchased my spyder.

So far we have ridden more just in the last few months than we have since her accident 2 years ago. no regrets. now i must admit, at first, when i test drove the spyder, i did not llke it. but i reminded myself why i was considering it. that over ruled my objection to it. so i bought it anyway and sold my victory.

So what are my thoughts on the spyder? well,i become more impressed with it after every ride. the spyder is a well designed and engineered vehicle. after adjusting to how it handles,it is alot of fun. the 3 wheel factor also makes alot of sense. last sunday i wound up on a farmers piece of property where he stores some of his equipment which was dirt and gravel with some rocks thrown in. on my victory it would have been challenging to even consider, on my spyder i just moved ahead, not a problem.

i get more impressed with the technology that is in this spyder every week i tinker with it. i believe that the 2 wheel people that have a grudge with this 3 wheel layout are just in denial. so the question is ..............for some of you that transitioned from two wheels to the spyder, why did you make the move? now i will say, i did keep one of my bikes because i felt that i would be riding it when the wife is not riding. i was wrong, it sits alot because i like riding the spyder even when the wife is not going on a ride. just saying. i guess i dont fit the general motorcycle community profile.

Edited by breaking the article into paragraphs to make it easier on the eyes for the readers. No changes were made to any of the text...all as written by the OP.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-05-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

and

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-04-2019 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Started out at 7 on a honda 50 trail bike ,last bike b4 accident that had me off bikes for 11 years was yzf r6 .
    bad back , bum leg couldn't throw a leg over or put any weight on it to keep it upright at a stop .
    Missed riding like no tomorrow .
    Been on an 18 F3S M6 for just over a year now and lovin life back in the wind .
    I just tell those who question y 3 wheels that I'm ahead of the curve
    Only thing missing is lanesplitting in traffic .

Spyder Garage

I'm 70 years old riding on two wheels since I was 16. At last count, I've owned 30 motorcycles, including 6 Goldwings and 2 Harley Road kings. Over the years the wife and I put a lot of miles on the Goldwings. However as I have gotten older, I no longer feel confident on an 800+ lb. motorcycle with luggage and a passenger. So last year I sold the Goldwing (GL1800) and bought the Spyder RTL. Since then, we have taken several out of state trips on the Spyder and have put almost 10,000 miles on it. I still ride solo on the Harley, but everything 2-up is on the Spyder. The RTL is a great touring machine, and the perfect replacement for the Goldwing.

Spyder Garage

Default Reason for a Spyder

12 yrs riding. Had a bad accident on the scooter that caused me to give up on 2 wheels.
    Went head on with a hit and run driver who appeared to be texting as he crossed into my lane.
    Even after the accident& recovery I wanted to get back into the wind. 6 mo wait and the Spyder was
    the solution to touring size and stability.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

50+ years on two wheels, bad accident that affected my balance, plus I realized that my situational awareness was not what it should be to keep riding on 2 wheels. I was not, however, ready to give up riding. I bought a Goldwing trike, put lots of miles on it, never liked it, sold it, and bought a Spyder RT and never looked back. My wife will not ride on 2 wheels anymore but she will ride on the Spyder from time to time. I love it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My Story

I had a bike before I was married and she was okay with this. Fast forward, a little Girl was born and the bike needed to GO. Twenty-five years later, I was thinking 'time to get a motorcycle'. We went to a local motorcycle shop, 'just to look'. I saw my first Spyder (a 2013). I fell in love with that Special Spyder. A few years later, I was the proud owner of a 2016 RTL. We both love the Time and Always RYDE SAFE........ .........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

45 years old, +30 riding on two wheels (although not all of them regularly).
    I'm Located in Europe and I did had my share of travel on two wheels. Went to Morocco, ridden the dunes. Did the mythic Stelvio pass in Italy, Grossglockner high Apline road in Austria. Ridden the Picos de Europa National park in Spain, the Alps and Pyrenees mountains up and down. But did all of this solo as I never got comfortable riding two up for longer rides.
    So it was more than time to have some touring time with the Missus and the Spyder just looked perfect for that.
    One year and 16.000km (10.000mi) after, no regrets on changing. The Spyder is a wonderful touring machine, fun to ride and I don't miss a single bit of the two wheels driving thrill.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome.

Spyder Garage

Well... I have all the strength to ride a 2-wheeler, but with the Spyder, I just love them! I don't have to worry to much about balance, more visible on the road, wife feels safer and we're more comfortable and...

It's DIFFERENT! About 8 out of 10 bikes on the road looks all the same nowadays. I like to be different and the Spyder attracts a lot of attention.

Spyder Garage

The original post is somewhat similar to us. My wife is not comfortable on a two wheel motorcycle. Myself, I would not have purchased the Spyder. Our 2014 RTS was bought for both of us. At this time, I have no issues concerning riding on two wheels. The Spyder was a means for us to ride together. I still have other motorcycles, she tells me I have too many.

Spyder Garage

I think the profiling by the two-wheelers is the usual "this is our opinion, don't bother us with facts". I'm still able to ride "regular" bikes, but as with the OP, my wife is not. Since I didn't care for 'wing trikes, we went with the Spyder. She loves it, and I enjoy using it to commute.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rugercharger View Post
    to the spyder community. i guess i just had it with the motorcycle publications and general motorcycle 2 wheel community and their rants about profiling spyder buyers as people who cant ride a 2 wheel motorcyce, or dont have good balance on two wheels or are just intimidated just thinking about it. I for one bought my spyder rt because i was getting uncomfortable with my wife as a passenger on my victory cross country that we enjoyed for 8 years. ever since she was involved in a pretty bad automobile accident she was paranoid any time someone looked like they were going to pull out in front of us. this started affecting my confidence with riding with her on the back of my bike. i had a decision to make. just ride by myself and enjoy my beast of a bike, which was no fun without her, or consider an alternative that she would feel more confident with. she felt more secure sitting on the rt when we looked at it. so i did what any loving husband would do, i gave up the victory, and purchased my spyder. so far we have ridden more just in the last few months than we have since her accident 2 years ago. no regrets. now i must admit, at first, when i test drove the spyder, i did not llke it. but i reminded myself why i was considering it. that over ruled my objection to it. so i bought it anyway and sold my victory. so what are my thoughts on the spyder? well,i become more impressed with it after every ride. the spyder is a well designed and engineered vehicle. after adjusting to how it handles,it is alot of fun. the 3 wheel factor also makes alot of sense. last sunday i wound up on a farmers piece of property where he stores some of his equipment which was dirt and gravel with some rocks thrown in. on my victory it would have been challenging to even consider, on my spyder i just moved ahead, not a problem. i get more impressed with the technology that is in this spyder every week i tinker with it. i believe that the 2 wheel people that have a grudge with this 3 wheel layout are just in denial. so the question is ..............for some of you that transitioned from two wheels to the spyder, why did you make the move? now i will say, i did keep one of my bikes because i felt that i would be riding it when the wife is not riding. i was wrong, it sits alot because i like riding the spyder even when the wife is not going on a ride. just saying. i guess i dont fit the general motorcycle community profile.
    WOW! I was going to post a longer response, but your story came across as almost identical to mine. Only two big differences; I have not yet sold any bikes and initial purchase of the Spyder was for it to be her ride to tag along with me on a bike. Otherwise very similar situation in that I no longer feel comfortable two up on a bike and the Spyder solves that problem. We now do two up on the Spyder a lot because she does not have the stamina to drive herself for more than an hour or so. I don't mind taking the back seat though as it gives me the chance to look around with camera in hand like she used to do when we only had a bike.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I started riding in August 2006. Purchased the bike for a 40th birthday gift to myself. My kids were old enough, and we were financially in a position to purchase a "toy". Riding changed my life. In August of 2014, the wife and I looked at the spyder and said how nice it would be to get one in a few years for us to enjoy together. The next month, I had an accident on my 2003 ZZR1200. The wife wanted me to sell and stop riding all together. 3 weeks later, I picked up the 2014 RT and told her, "look honey, I can't fall over!" After riding that for 2 years, I decided to pickup another 2 wheeler. But after only 6 months, I didn't feel comfortable, but still wanted something sportier than my RT. So I sold the 2 wheeler and picked up a 2012 RSS. After another 6 months, I decided to sell the RT, and trade in the RSS for my current F3T. I did pick up another 2 wheeler and love it. But I will always have a spyder of some sort. That gives me the confidence to have a passenger (my wife). Which is something that I never would do on 2 wheels.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Have arthritis in both hips. Will soon be having the left and then right side done as soon as I can after. Considered selling my Spyder in the spring. I'm addicted to the sound of big V-twins. BUT after much thought I'm keeping my F3T. I enjoy the more relaxing ride and the added safety of that third wheel. I'm 50 and have over 25yrs of 2 wheel experience and riding in the rain always scared the crap out of me.....on the Spyder the rain is nothing to really worry about. Besides the only bikes that have my attention are the Yamaha Venture and the new Indian Challenger,expensive to me. My '16 F3T is paid for so taking a loan out just isn't worth it. Besides I now have the BRP chrome rear wheel and I have my rear pulley out to get chromed as I type this........gotta keep it now lol

Spyder Garage

I have always been interested in the Spyder, the looks, being different. For my wife who feels more comfortable on 3 wheels and will ride more. At 58 I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a BIG luxury 2 wheeler and then loose money going to a Spyder after I would have gotten tired of holding up a BIG 2 wheeler.
    So the Spyder is our first luxury motorcycle, saved for trips, every now on then. My previous BIGGEST bike was 800cc, nothing bigger than that ever.I still have a 2 wheeler to take me back and forth to work. I average 28-31 K per year between the 2.
    Just did a "out west trip" last year, Colorado, Wyoming, S Dakota, 2 weeks, 7,600 miles. 2017 trip to Maine and Canada. Both times Spyder performed without any problems.
    Been Spyder owner for 2.5 yrs now.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Happily, for me, the health issues that drove me away from two wheels have mostly been solved. The hip that made one leg unable to give support to two wheeling was fixed in 2016.

Ownership of Spyders, started in 2008 for me. It started as a unique way to own three wheels. The ride was cool, and we got lots of looks and questions from others. From 08 to 11, I had both flavors in the garage.

When the hip started acting up, two wheels got put on the back burner. I did not go back to two wheels until 2017. I still ride my Vulcan regularly. I love the two wheel experience for some special wind therapy.

I know that the time will come when I no longer feel safe on two....at 74 (soon), I know the two wheel days may be getting numbered.

Happily, I will still have three to ride when I want to.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default welcome, welcome

after 60+ years on motorcycles of all kinds I sold off all and figured I had run the gamit. Though I never ran across the spyder till 2011 I found them new and different from the standard trike or side car. We moved to southern CA in 2011 and the wife said we needed to have a motorcycle once again. I said if we do it would be a spyder.....so 2012 she bought me one.... love it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Great thread starter Rugercharger

I'm 74 years old. Wife and I travelled extensively, two-up on 2 wheels for many years. Suzukis, Hondas, Yamahas, etc.
    Arthritis started creeping up on me - wrist, fingers and ankles, this made riding 2 wheels less fun and painful
    It was a joint decision to buy the Spyder in 2015 and it's been working out perfectly for us both.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    Great thread starter Rugercharger

I'm 74 years old. Wife and I travelled extensively, two-up on 2 wheels for many years. Suzukis, Hondas, Yamahas, etc.
    Arthritis started creeping up on me - wrist, fingers and ankles, this made riding 2 wheels less fun and painful
    It was a joint decision to buy the Spyder in 2015 and it's been working out perfectly for us both.

OK, when you say "joint decision," does that mean your joints told you it's time or does it mean you and the wife made the decision together? sorry; but someone had to ask.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Because I was not fully enjoying riding two wheels anymore - confidence on wet slippery roads was in low. With Spyder the difference is huge as ride now on slippery leaf covered roads almost as fast as dry roads. Love riding with my children on the back ( not too fast and their mother is happy fpr them to go now)
    2009 GS SE5 , MDS wires and NGK Red

Spyder Garage

And I bought it more out of interest to try something new. CBR 954 is now gathering dust in the garage. Attention spider attracts a lot including most importantly the opposite sex)))))
    We are Russians, God be with us!

Spyder Garage

I have interested in these bikes since they cam out . That being said , I got my motorcycle License in 1970 at age 17. A classmate got in to two accidents in two weeks so I stopped riding . when i turned 50 I bought a new Yamaha road star (Loved it) I bought a 1998 Harley Heritage Softail Had that until 2016 . I stopped riding because my legs were hurting and I did not feel comfortable on 2 wheels. I liked the RT but when the F3 came out , that was the bike for me , Nov 3, I just bought a 2017 F3 LTD . Just getting the paper work done I will have it next week.

Ps: I have learned a lot on this site From how to change the oil and how to relax and ride without a death grip
    Last edited by tntnj; 11-05-2019 at 04:14 PM. Reason: mistake on date

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rugercharger View Post
    to the spyder community. ....

I for one bought my spyder rt because i was getting uncomfortable with my wife as a passenger on my ...
    Ditto to all that and welcome! My wife and I have rode more on the Spyder than all our previous bikes... and I enjoy mine more and more every month.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have been riding together for over 40 years. We have seen a lot of this great country together. She got a break for a bit when the kids were old enough to travel with dad. We have always had sport touring bikes BMW RT's, Honda ST's, had a 2014 Triumph Trophy which we put 100K on and loved it, amazing touring machine. Had one Wing, hated it. It got to the place where I wasn't comfortable with me, her, and 50 pounds of clean socks on a heavier bike with a high seat height and a high center of gravity. She was sensing that I wasn't as confident and it made her a bit uneasy. Not good. We test rode an Ultra Glide and a couple of other bikes with a lower seat. Didn't like them. Borrowed a friends GW trike for a week. Nope. Test rode a Spyder RT for giggles and took one home. We really like it for our two up trips and rack up the miles on it since I got her to retire. I keep a crotch rocket with a tank bag and tail bag in the garage for that occasional solo weekend blast on the twisty roads. No issues until I stop and it takes me five minutes to get both legs straightened out Get a few strange looks from the youngsters on their crotch rockets when they see the gray hair, what there is of it. I guess it doesn't matter what we rode or still ride. What matters is we all share the love of riding and the Spyder has allowed many to keep riding when we may have otherwise called it quits.
    2015 RT , Black