Thread: Spyder 1st time

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder 1st time

Hi, this is my 1st time. Not sure if doing this right. I am getting a 2010 Spyder RT-SE5 tomorrow, (I get some freedom back with my disabilities). I was wondering do we have to use BMP only oil, or can I use a different type of full synthetic. If so could I please give info on what. $80 plus for each oil kit.
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of discussion about oil on this forum. You can use non BRP oil. Just make sure it is motorcycle oil and has the ratings listed in the manual. Also read the How to Check the Oil section of the manual so you use the right procedure. Check the oil every 400-500 miles as the 998 engines do use a bit between changes.
    Enjoy the ride and give yourself some time to get used to the way a Spyder rides and handles.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jlfcobra View Post
    Hi, this is my 1st time. Not sure if doing this right. I am getting a 2010 Spyder RT-SE5 tomorrow, (I get some freedom back with my disabilities). I was wondering do we have to use BMP only oil, or can I use a different type of full synthetic. If so could I please give info on what. $80 plus for each oil kit.
    Thanks
    Hi and …. ….. Many, many folks here DON'T use BRP oil ( or filters ) ….. I use Rotella T-6 full synthetic in 5w40, ( as do many others ) …. right now They are giving a great Re-bate on this oil …. google Shell Rotella re-bate for the LINK …… I also buy my HiFlo " HF556, oil filters on E-bay for about $6.00 each shipped free ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

+1 on the Shell Rotella, but most any JASO MA2 synthetic will work. The Shell is available at most Walmart. It is quite cheap but very good. I buy my filters from BajaRon a sponsor on this site. With your 998 SE5 you will need two filters and he has both. Be sure to read the manual about how to check the oil, the process is a little different and you will want to be very familiar with it as the VTwin does use oil. Check every 500 moles or so. Then ride it often. It will take you a little time to transition over if you are coming from 2 wheels.Post early, post often, and post pictures.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dpetrick View Post
    Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of discussion about oil on this forum. You can use non BRP oil. Just make sure it is motorcycle oil and has the ratings listed in the manual. Also read the How to Check the Oil section of the manual so you use the right procedure. Check the oil every 400-500 miles as the 998 engines do use a bit between changes.
    Enjoy the ride and give yourself some time to get used to the way a Spyder rides and handles.
    +1 on that and I will add to it, that you should check to make sure the oil is formulated for wet clutch systems. The oil I use says right in the bottles, " Formulated For Wet Clutch Systems". You can often find all that information if you put the type of oil in Google and add the word "specs" to the end of it. That should take you to the oil manufacturer's page with all the technical specs for the oil you are looking for.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver