Spyder Garage

Default What does a sway bar do and is the Baja Ron one a big thing? thanks

appreciate it
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-04-2019 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Title - Ron not Rob. ;)

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey4201 View Post
    appreciate it
    Your Spyder has an independent front suspension. The sway bar is used to link both sides so they work together, but opposite each other. When you turn, the outside wheel rises up while the inside wheel goes down, causing the Spyder to dip toward the outside of the turn. The weaker the torsion of the sway bar, the more dip you have. Ron's bar has more torsion than a stock bar and gives you more control. He really has it figured out very well. Take a lot of fast, tight corners with your stock bar, then replace it with Ron's. You will notice a big difference in handling.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hope you don't mind the minor changes I'm offering!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Your Spyder has an independent front suspension. The sway bar is used to link both sides so they work together, but opposite each other. When you turn, the outside wheel rises up while the inside wheel goes down, with respect to the frame of the Spyder, causing the Spyder to dip (lean) toward the outside of the turn. The weaker the torsion of the sway bar, the more dip (lean) you have. Ron's bar has more torsion than a stock bar and gives you more control. He really has it figured out very well. Take a lot of fast, tight corners with your stock bar, then replace it with Ron's. You will notice a big difference in handling.
    The sway bar is made so that as both wheels move up or down together the frame goes down and up but stays level. But as Grandpot says, when you go around a curve and the two wheels move differently from each other that difference causes the Spyder to lean, or tilt, or dip, toward the outside. The sway bar has them linked so that when the wheels move differently it causes the sway bar to be twisted. The stronger the bar the more force is required to twist it. The resistance to twisting helps to reduce the difference in the amount the two wheels move differently, thus reducing the tilt or lean of the Spyder frame and body.

The sway bar also reduces how much and how quick a wheel drops down when you go over a pothole with just one wheel.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

thanks a lot

Spyder Garage

Baja Ron's sway bar makes a world of difference in the performance of your Spyder in the curves and turns. This is a must investment to get better performance out of your Spyder. Another would be to upgrade to car tires. This upgrade would again be a world of difference in the performance of your Spyder all around especially in the comfort of your ride. Your won't regret investing in these upgrades. You just have to research all the testimony of the many great contributor's to this Forum to see that these upgrades will serve you well.

Spyder Garage

The function of a sway bar is technically difficult to describe, and frankly, can be confusing. It is hard to translate a detailed description into a mental picture of what is actually going on unless you have a good grasp of how a suspension works. And, if you have that, you probably do not need a description of what the sway bar does.

But, when you ride the bar, it all becomes very simple, obvious and clear. People describe the feeling as 'Being on Rails' or 'Handles like a go-cart'. Exaggerations, of course. But compared to OEM, these statements seem to give a better understanding than a technical description for many.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey4201 View Post
    appreciate it
    It keeps you from swaying!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    It keeps you from swaying!

Jack
    Very true Jack. That is why the correct term is 'Anti-Sway Bar'. But in this truncated age. The name has been shortened. I guess it falls into the 'A Rose by Any Other Name' category.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I put one on my F3 Limited last month. Also got the sway bar links, Continental tires and a front end alignment. Was in Maggie Valley riding the Blue Ridge Parkway, "Wow" was my reaction!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Very true Jack. That is why the correct term is 'Anti-Sway Bar'. But in this truncated age. The name has been shortened. I guess it falls into the 'A Rose by Any Other Name' category.
    Both my Spyder's have had one. Wouldn't leave home without one. Best thing I have ever put on my Spyder's. Prevents that 1/4 nose dive when turning and stabilizes in turns. Thank you Ron!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick