Spyder Garage

Default Returning to riding after many years away

I had this come across my Facebook news feed from a local bike repair shop near me. A lot of what this guy had to say hit home with me when thinking back to my own return after a 20 year hiatus that ran from 1980 to 2000 when I bought my first R1200C at age 45. Now that I am transitioning from two wheels to three, (two years with Spyder now) I'm reminded of the changes life throws at us and we do our best to not be a victim of the "I can't" crowd. You know the type; from my personal motto: "he who says I can't, will always be right." Of course bodies get older and weaker so there does come that time when we really can't. The biggest motivating factor for me returning to bikes after such a long time away was the death of a close friend at age 53 with a ruptured aneurysm in his brain. After grieving over that loss for a while, I made up my mind to NOT go through the rest of my life thinking or saying, "I wish I had done . . . . ." I've been out there trying my best to do all of those things that won't land me in jail or cause a great deal of negativity in my life. Just all food for thought.

From a 73 year old KLR rider: (not me)

Lessons learned as I turn age 73, one year after riding 11k, and after not having a moto for many years:
    If the destination requires riding on an Interstate, I choose another destination.
    Semis passing me at 85mph are no fun.
    The KLR has gained weight, especially when loading/unloading from pickup truck bed. Must be that Gen 2 is heavier than my old Gen 1.
    1,000 miles were required to get comfortable again, and 9,000 miles were needed until I gained completely my old skill level.
    High winds of SW New Mexico require lower front fender and fork brace. Dramatic improvement.
    6th gear can be found with 16 tooth front sprocket and 42 rear at speeds to 65 mph. Sweet spot is at 58mph and 3800 rpms.
    More scenery appears at 55mph than at 80 mph.
    The closer I get to death from old age, the more cautious I become. All the gear, all the time.
    No more riding alone off-road with no cell signal.
    Riding open-range road (cattle present without fencing), watch the calves as they will run across the road to be with mama cow.
    So much excellent instruction on YouTube that wasn't available when I started riding 48 years ago.
    An empty parking lot is wonderful for practicing low speed maneuvers. Never tried that before starting over again.
    With a 32 inch inseam, a Sargeant lowered seat was the best mod I made.
    Wind blew bike over in Colorado. Cost of Dirtracks full engine guard bars justified as had no damage.
    Cataract removal on both eyes made a tremendous difference for the better.
    150 miles in one day is much more enjoyable than 300 miles.
    There is an endless supply of mods and farkles to be had, and what the hell I can't take my money with me when it's time to make the last ride.
    Contrary to what Robert Earl Keen sang, the road does not go on forever, so I'll ride like I'm still young and encourage you to do the same.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are back. Enjoy.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Tx and on the new Spyder. Post early, post often, and post pictures.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Retired

Welcome back to Riding.
    I enjoy the time and hopefully you will too.
    RYDE SAFE and Enjoy........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

hehehe; Based on a couple of the responses, I guess I may not have been entirely clear on the timeline above.

Maybe this will help:

Started riding in 1968
    Quit riding in 1980 due to financial situation
    Started again in 2000 with a BMW R1200C
    Purchased Spyder in 2017 for wife and I
    Still have small collection of bikes in the stable with the Spyder
    Planning to ride two and three wheelers until my body says something different
    Currently 65 and counting
    The long list of things was written by a 73 yr old KLR rider (not me) and shared by a local shop on Facebook.

I'll try to do better in the future when waxing philosophical; carry on.

Spyder Garage

Similar thoughts and feelings here ...

I'm another old goat who returned after a long absence. I was 76 years and 3 months when I took delivery of my 2017 F3L. It had been 38 years since I had swung a leg over a two-wheeler and gone down a road; but since my 'M' licence had been automatically renewed every year (even though unused), my dealer let me take a Spyder out for a test ride when I got a late-in-life itch to do it 'one more time'. Well, I was hooked. It helps that my 74-year old lady friend also enjoys it. We've now done 15,000 miles of mostly back roads, enjoying the scenery and searching for interesting bistros to have lunch. Can't get enough. Especially fun has been ryding twisties on beautiful mountain roads. Have to agree with most of what the 73-year old KLR rider had to say. Nice to think we're in such fine company. Ryde safe and enjoy!!!
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

I rode my first scooter at age 12 - 125cc Sears Cruisaire. Crashed it and did not ride again until college. Found a 1950 Ariel Square Four. Cobbled it together and rode it through college. Work kept me away from riding until 2002. Bought a 650 Yamaha. 7 more bikes until I crashed a 2005 Ultra classic in 2013. Bought my 2017 Spyder RTS and am still on the road riding about 16,000 miles a year at age 76. great to be alive and on the road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Age 73, huh? Hmmmmmm...

I was 73 when I bought my new 2012 Spyder and took the MSF 2-wheeler course to get my Texas Class MC license. I had not ridden 2 wheelers since about age 16.

Now I'm 80 and today my 2015 Spyder rolled up 77,000 miles while I was on my 118-mile joy-ride for the afternoon, which I didn't even start until about 2pm.

Altogether about 109,600 miles in 6-1/2 years, about 1,400 miles per month.

And NO plans to slow that down anytime soon!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Age 73, huh? Hmmmmmm...

I was 73 when I bought my new 2012 Spyder and took the MSF 2-wheeler course to get my Texas Class MC license. I had not ridden 2 wheelers since about age 16.

Now I'm 80 and today my 2015 Spyder rolled up 77,000 miles while I was on my 118-mile joy-ride for the afternoon, which I didn't even start until about 2pm.

Altogether about 109,600 miles in 6-1/2 years, about 1,400 miles per month.

And NO plans to slow that down anytime soon!
    A big SALUTE to you for still having your knees in the breeze at 80. I hope I'm still at it in 15 years. I currently have just over 470K miles on bikes and about 8K on our Spyder. I would like to at least make 500K on two wheels before I give them up in favor of the Spyder.