Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Car Sick vs Motorcycle Sick and 2 up

Questions to the motorcycle community. So my wife isn’t interested in riding, one of the reasons given is twisty roads make her car sick in a cage so she’s worried about the same effect on a motorcycle. Have you all found that car sick equals motorcycle sick?

Next question, when your partner doesn’t ride how do you do trips together? Tow the Spyder somewhere then she goes fabric/antique shopping while you ride? (And yes I understand the situation could be reversed.) Marriage stress because you like to ride and your partner doesn’t?

Or do I find a “biker babe” replacement as she somewhat “humorously” suggested?
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have pretty terrible motion sickness, but usually only when I'm a passenger. When I'm driving though, I'm fine unless I'm really driving aggressively. If anything, being on my Spyder I get thrown around and feel G forces even more than I do in my car, but I haven't felt remotely sick yet. If she's at all like me, I'd say you're out of luck, unless she's okay with riding by herself.

Can't help you with your second question, as I'm not married...
    2019 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Questions to the motorcycle community. So my wife isn’t interested in riding, one of the reasons given is twisty roads make her car sick in a cage so she’s worried about the same effect on a motorcycle. Have you all found that car sick equals motorcycle sick?

Next question, when your partner doesn’t ride how do you do trips together? Tow the Spyder somewhere then she goes fabric/antique shopping while you ride? (And yes I understand the situation could be reversed.) Marriage stress because you like to ride and your partner doesn’t?

Well, after my partner died my friends told me they'd find me a biker chick, they didn't come up with anyone so I had to find my own. We ride a bike each so not quite your problem...But, this year we had a day riding really woggly, side to side roads after which I did feel a little motion sickness. A good hot cuppa tea fixed it. So, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt.

Biker babe? Well you only live once...!

Whoosh.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How does she know unless she has tried it?
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 11-03-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    How does she know unless she has tried it?

She’s had a few experiences in the past not with me. No need to elaborate but she doesn’t want to lean either. Main reason is feeling the lack of protection.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

Spyder Garage

The "motorcycle" sick, IMO, is a psychological thing. It develops over the "not wanting" to be on a motorcycle syndrome.

I experienced this early on with Linda, when we first met nine years ago. She said if going on "that thing (motorcycle)," was necessary for our relationship....then it would be a deal breaker. It took three weeks before I brought up the Spyder again.

I lived in the country, and there were many twisty and curvy roads with little to no traffic on them. I got Linda to go for a "ride around the block" the first time. I kept it in first gear, and under 10 mph and was slow and easy on the stops. This made sure that there would be no "g" forces from any of the turns. We went around a six block area about four times. She showed no signs of motorcycle sick or fear.

I asked her if she would like to explore the neighborhood further? She said yes. I still kept it in first gear and stayed on roads that were little to no traffic. Still being careful to take all the 15 mph posted curves at 10 or less, once again so no "g" forces would be felt.

About 10 miles of this and she was okay if I went up to 20 mph and took the curves more at speed. Still, remember to cut down on the "g" forces so the rider does not feel intimidated.

A couple hours of this and then the bravery test......would she like to go out on the highway. The one in question was 65 mph and a straight shot between exits. I told here I would keep it in the slow lane and we would not go much over 50. She was all right with it and actually liked it. For her, the experience was MORE fun than being in a car because she was "out" in the scenery, and not looking at it from a cage.

That was the start of her being a passenger. That summer she put over 10,000 seat miles on my RT as a passenger. We went everywhere and it was all good stuff. I let her try driving the next season....once again starting out at 10 mph and in first gear only. Once she got the hang of the feel of the RT, we upped the speed and did the training roads, then graduated to the highway speeds.

Later on in season two, I traded my Vulcan in on her 2011 RT. She is still driving that one and now has 35K on it.....all but 2K or so are her personal miles.

Have not run into the partner does not ride part. But....if that were the case.....we would be riding in the cage.

I think a big part is developing trust in the machine by keeping it very simple in the beginning.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-03-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Did you ever think it might be the way you drive, cage or Spyder? Not every woman likes to be a passenger if she feels unsafe, caused by the foolishness of the driver. If you want to act like a Evil Kenevil knock yourself out and do it alone. Or, when she is with you respect her feelings and you may find that she will look forward to riding with you. In the end it may be respecting her feelings and her fears and helping her overcome, or ride alone, or sell the Spyder.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Did you ever think it might be the way you drive, cage or Spyder? Not every woman likes to be a passenger if she feels unsafe, caused by the foolishness of the driver. If you want to act like a Evil Kenevil knock yourself out and do it alone. Or, when she is with you respect her feelings and you may find that she will look forward to riding with you. In the end it may be respecting her feelings and her fears and helping her overcome, or ride alone, or sell the Spyder.
    We’ve been married 25 years. Believe me she tells me the things that bother her quite comfortably at this point. Those weren’t among them.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Funny you should bring this up.....
    My wife wanted me to respond to this post. Julie can sit in a car and start the engine and get sick.
    in the 33+ years of marriage she has always gotten car sick, we have those bags in the cars for that. BUT
    in the 33 years riding motorcycles ALL of them she has NEVER gotten sick, she asked her doctor and was told
    the car does not lean in the corners and a motorcycle does and it is an easier ride when riding on twisty roads.
    NOW that being said she has NOT gotten sick on the Spyder when riding.... So I would give it a try and see how she does
    on a short hop around the neighborhood..
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

My wife hates the twisties in the car but loves them on the spyder, dont ask me why but she loves the openess of being on the bike vs couped up in the car. I would have her ride just to check it out.
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine too she loves the winding roads but NOT in a car the fresh air is also a plus....
    and the good part she never gets sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    My wife hates the twisties in the car but loves them on the spyder, dont ask me why but she loves the openess of being on the bike vs couped up in the car. I would have her ride just to check it out.
    Dave

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wish I had a cure for Her for this, but motion-sickness imho, is motion-sickness..... Seek medical advice, everything else is really SWAG …… hope you find an answer ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Car sickness does not translate into motorcycle sickness. It might, somewhat, if you are the passenger. But not if you are the driver. However, there are a lot of things that can take its place.

Wearing a helmet, (especially a full face) can give some a feeling of claustrophobia. It is an unreasonable, baseless fear (hence the 'Fobia' portion of the description). But this fact does not seem to be a solution for the sufferer.

Lack of protection. Feeling of vulnerability, etc. Which does have some basis in reality.

Feeling of inability to handle the machine because it is so different than any other vehicle you've driven.

A general fear of the entire 'Motorcycle' experience.

All of these can add up to an uncomfortable experience which some people just do not have the inclination or desire to overcome.

But motion sickness should not be a problem.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-03-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

She’s had a few experiences in the past not with me. No need to elaborate but she doesn’t want to lean either. Main reason is feeling the lack of protection.
    The fear is probably real and it will take time to reassure her that the Spyder is different then a two wheeler. I got my wife to sit on the Spyder by asking her to sit on it so I could adjust the passenger foot rest. She would not even sit on it when I first got it. So she sat on it and I asked how it felt she said it felt good and I had her grab the hand rails and try rocking the bike side to side with her feet on the foot boards all felt good solid she said. I told her that's the way it feels going down the road. I then got her a helmet I knew it had to be open face she would not like a full face. So I got her one with pink flowers on it, clear face Sheild with a small sun shade that she can pull down shield BT head set. She loved the helmet when I showed it to her but still did not ride with me for another 4 months. I finaly talked her into a ride to go get ice cream as long as I go slow and take back roads. Well the DQ is about 5 miles and I took back roads and keep it at 25 MPH. We had our ice cream and I ask her if I could go back home though town (I live in a small town) We did. Well I got it up to 30 - 35 on the way home and there were other cars around and she did good. It took a few more small ride like that but now we can go anywhere but not the hi-way 70 MPH yet. 55 - 60 seems to be her top speed so far. Its her first year. before that I always been solo. Where as you are a biker that makes your wife your biker babe for better or worse.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Wearing a helmet, (especially a full face) can give some a feeling of claustrophobia. It is an unreasonable, baseless fear (hence the 'Fobia' portion of the description). But this fact does not seem to be a solution for the sufferer. Lack of protection. Feeling of vulnerability, etc. Which does have some basis in reality. Feeling of inability to handle the machine because it is so different than any other vehicle you've driven. A general fear of the entire 'Motorcycle' experience. All of these can add up to an uncomfortable experience which some people just do not have the inclination or desire to overcome.
    To that I would add past history with the previous saddlemate, old wives' tales, hysterical news stories, etc. If she is genuinely not interested in even trying it, then I don't know what you would do other than give each other the space to follow individual interests solo, which I highly recommend (once again, if she does not have fears about THAT). I know there are several people on this forum who have that arrangement with a less-than-enthusiastic spouse.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I very much get motion sick when I am a passenger, and even on rare occasion if the road is twisty enough and I am riding aggressively. I try to avoid acidic foods when I ride, and stay hydrated, which helps in those cases.

I doubt that her motion sickness will be less on a Spyder than in a car. I would suggest that combining these solutions may help:

- Have her keep her eyes on the road.

- Motion sickness wristbands.

- Motion sickness patches (more extreme, but they allow me to go on cruise ships, which I otherwise could not).

- Ride sweeping curves and straight-aways when you can, instead of the twisties.

- Maintain more constant speeds, and change speeds gently and slowly.

- In the most ideal world, see if she would enjoy riding her own Spyder - that would likely solve all of your issues (except, of course, for doubling your riding costs).

- Eat and drink smart. Once it takes hold, motion sickness tends to stay, so do everything you can to keep it from getting a hold.

- Water, water, water. Motion sickness is an early symptom of dehydration (at least for me).
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

To address this question, my first wife did not ride. It just wasn't her thing. So I went a lot of places alone. Or with the kids as they got older. She was OK with this partly because I made sure that we went a lot of places in the car with the kids. When I was low man on the totem pole at the steel mill and didn't get a lot of vacation ,the bike trips were few and far between, but they still happened. And I made sure she knew and was able to take trips on her own if she wanted to. After she got sick of course nobody went much of anywhere. after she passed away I was able to ride as I pleased. New wife loves to ride but is still too scared to ride very far, so when she wants to come, I put the Spyder in a trailer and haul it to the destination, then ride the area. She likes that and is happy to go along that way. We took a wonderful trip to the San Diego area that way and up to Boise If she doesn't want to go I go alone and she is gracious enough to let me do that. Again I do my best to see that her other travel desires are taken care of. I love Cynthia and dearly wish she would go more with me, but I am resigned to the fact that it is not going to happen. I do know this that with a rider spouse and a non rider spouse it takes a lot of tolerance, patience, and acceptance from both parties to keep everybody happy.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

My wife doesn't ride so does my kids, when it's time for vacation, I trailer the bike take it with us. My wife and kids love to sleep in therefore I get up early go for nice ride then I spend afternoon with them. It has been working out for us for the past 20 years.

Spyder Garage

My wife prefers the bikes, two or three wheeled, to the cage when riding a twisty road. She has no issue with sickness, but I do if riding in the back seat of a cage. I guess I am lucky in that she loves to ride and is always ready to go. One thing I cannot get her to do, and I have been trying for many years, is to get her into a full face helmet. Open face only. Yes, I took her shopping when the modular helmets came out. It was a VERY SHORT shopping trip. I stopped pushing the issue, but I do suggest a full face from time to time. No go so I keep her fitted in a good quality open face. She enjoys a bit of me time once in awhile and I enjoy a good two wheeled solo trip on occasion. 42 years together so I guess it works.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

ARtraveler, good advice. I did the same thing and now it's where and when are we going for a ride. Looking into cold weather gear. Good luck to you.
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
    ARtraveler, good advice. I did the same thing and now it's where and when are we going for a ride. Looking into cold weather gear. Good luck to you.
    RE: Cold weather gear. You might check into Firstgear or similar. They have the textile stuff and it comes with winter liners. For us, the liners go in at about 40 degrees. They are good for as low as you might want to ride. She stops at 30 degrees and me about 20 degrees. Don't need to go in below zero any more. Good winter rated gauntlet gloves. Riding boots with wool socks. A balaclava for inside the helmet. You will be like the Michelin Man....but will be warm and comfortable on the rides.

UNHIJACK: ON

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

A problem my wife had on the twisty roads was not being able to see them. So, when I had to hit a sharp turn it would surprise her and scare her. I got her a memory foam cushion (a $25 office chair cushion at Costco). This raised her up enough so she could see over my shoulder and anticipate the curves. She is much happier and comfortable now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
    Nothing like heated gear. I wear heated jacket and gloves I am good for 10*F about 3 to 4 hours of riding before stoping for hot chocolate.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

LeftCoast, did the responses help get you unstuck?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Actually maybe, I told the missus about the responses and she seemed “receptive” to maybe riding around the block at 10mph which is a start. What was also helpful was talking about towing the Spyder somewhere and riding where there aren’t many cars so she can enjoy the scenery.

Thanks everyone, I got good bits from everyone that were at least conversation starters.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light