Spyder Garage

Default NGK CR8EB plug gap not always right!

I recently ordered the plugs for my Ryker, the vendor lists the plug gap as 0.032 - Can Am says the gap should be 0.028 to 0.031. I will gap my plugs at 0.030. I have read several times online that plugs come with the correct gap, I have not found this to be true. On my cars, I have seen 3 out 4 correct and 1 way too big. Gap size can influence how a vehicle runs. Anyway that is my point of view.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2022 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Caps & vender ;-)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would ask the vendor about it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

You should always check the gap with a gauge as well as center the ground electrode over the center electrode. Any little bump to the ground electrode can throw the gap off.

Spyder Garage

Most manufacturers of spark plugs set the factory gap at or near the minimum needed for all applications. An under gapped plug is going to work fine. And over gapped plug is probably going to give you problems. This usually prompts manufacturers of the vehicle to recommend the gap setting that the spark plugs come from the factory with. This avoids issues with improper gapping (especially with Iridium plugs, which if done incorrectly will fracture the center electrode, destroying the plug).

However, all that being true. The recommended factory setting is not always ideal. We have found with dyno testing that a gap of .040" is ideal. I recommend a gap of .036"-.038" just to be on the conservative side as testing showed that performance began to drop off with a setting of .042". And the improvement from .036" to .040" was much less than from .032" to .038". Leaving the plugs gapped at .032" won't hurt anything. But for those who want to get a bit more out of their Spyder, Opening the gap will do that for you.

The plugs you get should be gapped from the factory at .032". Still, it does not hurt to check them. Just be sure that if you do decide to change the gap, to do it with the proper tool which does not put any pressure on the center electrode.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Does anyone tighten down the gap 1st on all the plugs, then readjust to the specs? My dad used to tell me to do that back in the '70's while working on my '69 Camaro. Why? I don't remember. Maybe just so every plug gets gapped to the same size. He probably did that with the old tractors back in the day.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2022 at 02:33 AM. Reason: gaped - gapped ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    Does anyone tighten down the gap 1st on all the plugs, then readjust to the specs? My dad used to tell me to do that back in the '70's while working on my '69 Camaro. Why? I don't remember. Maybe just so every plug gets gapped to the same size. He probably did that with the old tractors back in the day.
    Years ago you could not trust that gap from the factory. If nothing else, the plugs could get knocked around in shipping and change the gap. But I do not see a reason to start by bending the ground electrode.

Most spark plugs today, (especially premium plugs like the NGK IX) are accurately gapped and protected by a heavy cardboard sleeve. I would simply check them as they are and gap if necessary. The more you bend the ground electrode, the weaker it can get. Of course you can bend them several times without concern. But cannot see a reason to bend them first and then check gap. Chances are, you're going to end up right back where you started.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2022 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Picked up my plugs today and they were gapped at 0.27 and not 0.032 as stated. It pays to check.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2022 at 02:35 AM. Reason: gaped - gapped ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    Picked up my plugs today and they were gapped at 0.27 and not 0.032 as stated. It pays to check.
    Interesting. I am going to check some of the plugs I have in stock and see where they are.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2022 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Default Ryker plug gap...

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    I recently ordered the plugs for my Ryker, the vendor lists the plug gap as 0.032 - Can Am says the gap should be 0.028 to 0.031. I will gap my plugs at 0.030. I have read several times online that plugs come with the correct gap, I have not found this to be true. On my cars, I have seen 3 out 4 correct and 1 way too big. Gap size can influence how a vehicle runs. Anyway that is my point of view.
    I own BLR TUNING... We gap the Spark Plugs that we sell for the Ryker at 0.07 mm

WWW.BLRTUNING.CO
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2022 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Removed color & 'ALL CAPS' shouting for ease of reading by all! ;-)

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Suspect you meant 0.7 mm, which is 0.02758 (0.028) inch

BTW, NGK 7784 stock copper spark plugs may be replaced by NGK 4128 iridium

Thus far, each iridium plug I have used has been properly gapped by factory
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 11-06-2022 at 09:37 PM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    We have found with dyno testing that a gap of .040" is ideal. But for those who want to get a bit more out of their Spyder, Opening the gap will do that for you.
    This is in a Ryker thread but you did say Spyder so I am just verifying this applies to the 1330 engine as well?
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    This is in a Ryker thread but you did say Spyder so I am just verifying this applies to the 1330 engine as well?
    I was speaking of the 998 for the dyno testing reference. It was done with an .002 increase in gap per test. And while there was HP gain peaking at .040 then falling off at the next increment. I have since changed my mind and now recommend .034 for the 998 with the BajaRon spark plug wires, which deliver a stronger spark energy to the plugs. The reason being that the Dyno test was done with brand new spark plugs at WOT. But that isn't every day, real world conditions. When you race, you design everything for peak efficiency and change out components like spark plugs every race. A much wider gap may start out giving you an advantage. But over time, that will diminish.

The 1330 has a better spark delivery system than the 998 so I would be surprised if an .002 increase in the OEM gap would not give a better result.

Manufacturers post gap settings for reliability and not necessarily best performance. Many installers do the same as the customer may not notice better performance. But they will certainly notice misfire. A gap narrower than what it could reasonably be may be more a CYA decision than anything else. I'm always looking for meaningful improvement without sacrificing reliability. Going +.02 on the OEM setting with a good, Iridium IX or comparable spark plug has worked well for us. But going with the OEM gap is always the safe approach.