Spyder Garage

Default Torque settings for the rear rotor, caliper, and axle nut on 2013?

Can someone please tell me the torque settings for the rear rotor, caliper and axle nut. Have a 2013 RT L. I found them for a 16 RS but not sure its the same on mine. Also was said 177 FtLbs for axle nut. Seems way to high. Also the nut on the left side of axle is crimped to the axle. So do you just torque the right side. TIA, Rick

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RTL Should be the same as 2013 I would think. The rear Axle is 96 Ft. Lbs. and new cotter pin Rear Rotor 18 Ft. Lbs. Brake Caliper 18 Ft. Lbs. If you took the wheel encoder off the torque on that is 44 Ft Lbs. Again that is on a 2012 RT. I hope someone with a 2013 jumps in to confirm.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Just posted this on an "RT thread" about rear axle torque, but I actually own an ST

Rear axle nut tightening torque discrepancy:

I'm changing the rear tire and just looked at my PDF shop manual (Can-am). The subsection entitled "DRIVE BELT AND REAR WHEEL" shows the torque on page 5 (pg 622 on PDF) as 225 Nm / 166 ft-lbs, BUT 2 pages later it shows the same torque table that specifies 130 Nm / 96 ft-lbs ????????????????
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by knobby View Post
    Just posted this on an "RT thread" about rear axle torque, but I actually own an ST

Rear axle nut tightening torque discrepancy:

I'm changing the rear tire and just looked at my PDF shop manual (Can-am). The subsection entitled "DRIVE BELT AND REAR WHEEL" shows the torque on page 5 (pg 622 on PDF) as 225 Nm / 166 ft-lbs, BUT 2 pages later it shows the same torque table that specifies 130 Nm / 96 ft-lbs ????????????????
    Just an error in the printing. The actual torque is supposed to be 166 lb.ft. It would appear that they didn't get the manual updated
    in both places.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by knobby View Post
    Just posted this on an "RT thread" about rear axle torque, but I actually own an ST....
    If you have the ST with the 998 engine I would go with the 96 lb ft torque - \\

The 1330 engine models and higher drive line torque load should probably go with the 166 lb ft (modified to slightly less if you clean and lightly lube the threads and washer).
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2021 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peggy's 2013 STS-SM5 specifies 166 lb.ft. exactly as the above stated: one place is 166 lb.ft. and the other place states 96 lb.ft. I went with
    166 lb.ft. when I adjusted the belt location.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I change tires on the SRA-SF club bikes. I have done about 25 rear tires and on the rear axle nut I use 165 Ft Lbs. The F3S would be scary loose at 97 Ft Lbs I would think. I see that number on many posts by riders. After 2012 there are no longer a cotter pin used on the axle so a nut loosening could be a disaster

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rwyma View Post
    Can someone please tell me the torque settings for the rear rotor, caliper and axle nut. Have a 2013 RT L. I found them for a 16 RS but not sure its the same on mine. Also was said 177 FtLbs for axle nut. Seems way to high. Also the nut on the left side of axle is crimped to the axle. So do you just torque the right side. TIA, Rick

I have the 2014 RTS. I just changed my tire 3 days ago and the torque settings were:

Rear Caliper Bolt - 77 ft. lbs.
    Rear Rotor - 68 ft. lbs.
    Rear Axle Nut - 166 ft. lbs.

Definitely appears to be some discrepancies in these numbers with different years.

And YES, just tighten the right side.

Rick
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 04:16 AM.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    The 1330 engine models and higher drive line torque load should probably go with the 166 lb ft (modified to slightly less if you clean and lightly lube the threads and washer).
    I suggest a little internet searching about reduced torque for lubricated fasteners. I use anti-seize on the nut axle and washer, which seems to eliminate the alignment changing when tightening. I've also through drilled the axle and use a split pin (Cotter). Some sources suggest a reduction of 30-40% in torque for lubricated fasteners. 166'# always seemed crazy tight to me...
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    166'# always seemed crazy tight to me...
    166 lb-ft of torque would be crazy tight for a 1/2" bolt, but not for a 1" bolt. It wouldn't even begin to adequately tighten, say, a 3" bolt! Specified torque depends on the diameter of the piece being tightened and the material. Torque is a secondary measurement. The real parameter being controlled is tension in the bolt, but there is no practical way to measure it in a repair shop or home. Torque is the substitute measure. Bolts that hold the cover, or head, onto the vessel body of a nuclear reactor are not torqued. They are stretched to the required tension and then the nuts are spun down snug.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    166 lb-ft of torque would be crazy tight for a 1/2" bolt, but not for a 1" bolt. It wouldn't even begin to adequately tighten, say, a 3" bolt! Specified torque depends on the diameter of the piece being tightened and the material. Torque is a secondary measurement. The real parameter being controlled is tension in the bolt, but there is no practical way to measure it in a repair shop or home. Torque is the substitute measure. Bolts that hold the cover, or head, onto the vessel body of a nuclear reactor are not torqued. They are stretched to the required tension and then the nuts are spun down snug.
    And the desired tension is reached at a significantly lower torque when the threads are lubricated. 165 down to 132 per https://www.engineersedge.com/calcul...orque_calc.htm
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol