Spyder Garage

Default Another Lift Question

Hi all. I have a popular lift that I purchased a few weeks back. I also have a 2018 RTL. My problem is that the lift will not lift the spyder evenly. It tilts to the side no matter which side I lift from. Front to back is OK and front and rear tires come up the same. The lift platform wants to "nose dive" it seems and will not come up level when the weight of the spyder starts to lift. I have been in contact with maker of this list and I have measured and measured etc and cant seem to come up with a solution as to the problem. I had an older lift that I used on my wing for years, and also my wifes 2014 spyder with no problems. Wanted to upgrade to air over hyd. Anyway, any ideas or suggestions??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's a HF product it will do that. Solution is lift it then support it on some ramps or blocks if you want it level.

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one...

might help if we could see which lift you are talking about. Mostly we see the search for the sweet spot for an even lift front to back. Have not seen any with the side to side not being level...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Here is a pic of the front. You can see one side higher than the other. If the lift is inserted from the opposite side, same result, only .
    Number 2.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You will never lift it level with the side jacks unless you use adapters or make a support to level it.

remember the frame on the bottom goes front to back

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Assuming the lifting bars are going all the way across the underside of the frame, then the lift is simply drooping because of age or over use. (lifting things it wasn't designed for) My guess is the lifting mechanism needs tweaking, repaired or rebuilt with new support arms.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wifesspyder View Post
    Here is a pic of the front. You can see one side higher than the other. If the lift is inserted from the opposite side, same result, only .
    Number 2.jpg
    This exercise seems rather pointless without knowing which lift you are talking about
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Mine does the same. The lift arms aren't long enough to go completely across the width of the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I've got the old craftsman lift and it lifts fine with no problems. I bought one from HF and it seemed unsteady so I returned it. Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Not seeing the lift in the picture but here is the one I use...

20150630_123305.jpg this is a craftsman but harbor freight also has it in blue/silver...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Lift

The lift from HF has issues.
    Just curious, Is this an issue with the floor not being level.

These are small problems.
    As others have said just block the wheels and it will be Safe.

Options : Buy a better Brand/Level the Floor.
    Your Call.......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

If you aren't going to tell us what kind of lift you have, I'm not going to tell you what kind I have. Mine works perfectly.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I think you just have to find that sweet spot Gene was talking about, and that's some times that's hard to find!! I can take my floor jack and find the balance point of my RT and pick the whole thing in the air from that one point!!! I would not work under it, but you can do it! I have put it up on jack stands that way. It don't take much to level the load, a small wooden wedge tuck in the right spots may help you then once you find where you may need that shim you could weld a permanent pad there so it would be the same every time you used it! Sort of like a transmission jack have those little screwed feet to balance and tip the transmission for you! Good Luck and be careful!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

When I bought my Craftsman lift I test lifted the bike and it looked just like Gene's picture, perfectly level side to side. A couple of weeks ago I was doing something that required me to rotate the RF wheel, oh yea, checking all tires after a new roofing job on the hacienda, I positioned the lift too far forward and got the result the OP spoke of and showed in posts #1 and #7, respectively. I have previously lifted it to put jack stands under the front wheels doing brake work with absolutely no problem getting a level lift. I obviously was rushing the job doing the nail check job.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

After many pics and conversation back and forth with the manufacturer, I decided to load it up and make a trip to see if we could figure out what the problem was. I put it in the back of my little Honda Fit and off I went about 425 miles to the PitBull factory. Extraordinary friendly folks and they were just as anxious as I to find the probable. After more measurements and re-checking, we gave up. The owner offered me a full refund and some gas bux. He also offered me a heavier lift in exchange. I took the heavier lift offer and he refused to let me pay the difference. It is a "big boy" model, same air over hydraulic system. I drug it home and after putting the Spyder front wheels on 2x4 boards, the lift slip right under the ride. It lifted it straight up with NO sag side to side or front to back. Problem solved. They told me at the factory that even tho they sell these world wide, and CanAm has them too, they have never had the drooping problem. Anyway, they were more than anxious for me to be happy with them, and they left it my choice. Great bunch of guys and I gave them a few bags of Rue Farm tater chips to chew on. Made here locally and outstanding. Anyway, now riding season is over so I can get some use out of the new lift for sure. Thanks to PitBull for excellent customer service.