Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT Test Ride

Yesterday I had the opportunity to see and test ride the new 2020 RT. Here is a brief video that Mike Huber and I did on the new bike.

https://youtu.be/Je6lawi4BpI

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the video Rob.

Spyder Garage

Yes, Thanks for the video, couple questions, I see you were comparing the 2020 to your 2015 RT. You mentioned you had Elka shocks. Do you also have Rons sway bar? Believe you said the it rode different. Could that be because you were an inch lower than your current RT?

Do you have highway pegs on your current ride? The new longer23" floorboards slant up at the front, could this replace needing or wanting a peg to push down on in turns?

Also If I could ask your height and sleeve length? ie: I am 6'1" with a 35" sleeve The reason I ask is because you said you felt pain in your shoulder blades from riding Mark Hubers RT. I know when ordering he said you could get a short, stock or long handlebar.

It looks like the rear case that is removable has a third brake light built in, is that right?

Thanks for doing the video

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing. If I knew you were going to have one there yesterday I would have called out sick from work and took a ride down LOL

I'm curious to see it in person, although I can't say yet if I would want one. Yes, there seems to be definite improvements in areas, but is it worth it? I can't say either way. Very cool though.
    2016 RTL "Boris"

Foam Grips
    Utopia Backrest
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Bajaron sway bar
    LED Bumpskid w/remote
    Belt guard
    BRT rear lighting w/strobe
    High mount BRT w/strobe
    Dual a-arm LEDs w/turn signals
    Multicolor underground Halo lighting
    LED headlights and foglights
    FOBO TPMS
    Techgripper phone holder
    Lidlox
    Dual USB with voltmeter
    Dakota Digital Compass/Clock/Altimeter/Temperature Gauge
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55R15 - Fronts
    General Altimax RT43 215/60R15 - Rear

Spyder Garage

Default Well done....

I missed it here as they had just driven off the dealership lot. Nice to have seen your video...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the video!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

thank you for that preview. Did they say if they were going to any other dealers?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Yes I have Ron's sway bar. I did not do a long ride so don't read too much into my ride experience. I was very impressed that it was so much better than a stock RT with sway bar upgrade or Elkas.

I'm 5'8" and I thought the floorboards, brake, and everything were fine except I need the bars closer to me if I were to purchase one. I don't have highway pegs on my RT; just don't need them.
    Mike wasn't sure which set of bars were on the prototype bike that I rode. BTW, I felt no pain in my shoulders, but I suspect I would have with a long ride as I know what reaching like that does to me.

Let me know if I've missed anything in my response.

Glad you got value from the video.

Rob

Yes, the rear topcase easily removes and has it's own brake light.

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Yes, Thanks for the video, couple questions, I see you were comparing the 2020 to your 2015 RT. You mentioned you had Elka shocks. Do you also have Rons sway bar? Believe you said the it rode different. Could that be because you were an inch lower than your current RT?

Do you have highway pegs on your current ride? The new longer23" floorboards slant up at the front, could this replace needing or wanting a peg to push down on in turns?

Also If I could ask your height and sleeve length? ie: I am 6'1" with a 35" sleeve The reason I ask is because you said you felt pain in your shoulder blades from riding Mark Hubers RT. I know when ordering he said you could get a short, stock or long handlebar.

It looks like the rear case that is removable has a third brake light built in, is that right?

Thanks for doing the video
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Paul, Mike was going to be headed to other dealers in CA I think. I believe he was then going to trailer to TX. He gave me his card. His name is Mike Huber and his number is 321 586 9354. Call him and you might be able to connect with him someplace.

Rob

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that information. Thanks again for the ride report, I am seriously considering a move to a 2020.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 Models

Thanks for the information. I will wait another year and see what happens.......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Procurement Strategy: Looks like Can-Am has pushed the $4k rebate for 2019s til Jan31st; that matches the timeframe for a free extended warranty for a preorder 2020. Plan is to pit the 2020 RT against a 2019 F3 LTD - best test ride wins.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the video.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rob,
    Thanks for your video. BRP makes a big deal that the 2020 is the result of a decade of RT riders' input. However, it has already been documented that they "missed the mark" in some areas(plastic links on the upgraded sway bar). You also brought up some negatives about the 2020 platform(interior dimension of side cases-old battery protrusion). Did Mike reply to your concerns?
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Mike, I shared my comments with Mike while I was there with him. He didn't push back. What he was most uncertain about was the bars as he didn't know which set (near, mid, far) were on the prototype bike. He's assuming there will be three bar options like I believe there are on the F3.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Rob,
    Thanks for your video. BRP makes a big deal that the 2020 is the result of a decade of RT riders' input. However, it has already been documented that they "missed the mark" in some areas(plastic links on the upgraded sway bar). You also brought up some negatives about the 2020 platform(interior dimension of side cases-old battery protrusion). Did Mike reply to your concerns?
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Does the stock 2020 sway bar fit the 2018 rt ? And what shocks are on the 2020 ?
    What i do not like about my 2018 rt is the unstable front end ,and no i do not have Ron's say bar.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    Mike, I shared my comments with Mike while I was there with him. He didn't push back. What he was most uncertain about was the bars as he didn't know which set (near, mid, far) were on the prototype bike. He's assuming there will be three bar options like I believe there are on the F3.

Rob
    I suspect like the F3T and possibly on the F3LTD they come with stock handlebars if you want a shorter or longer reach it may well be an optional extra unless you can get the dealer to include the choice when negotiating the price
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

I don't know the answer on the sway bar. As to the shocks, Mike said the name and I just don't remember. They are not Elkas and they are not the current RT shocks. Sorry, I just can't remember the brand.

Rob

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    Does the stock 2020 sway bar fit the 2018 rt ? And what shocks are on the 2020 ?
    What i do not like about my 2018 rt is the unstable front end ,and no i do not have Ron's say bar.
    My suggestion is to order BajaRon's sway bar and just be done with it. In the video, Mike Huber said this was very similar to the beefed up sway bar by Ron.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...rs-amp-Helmets

I don't know the answer on the sway bar. As to the shocks, Mike said the name and I just don't remember. They are not Elkas and they are not the current RT shocks. Sorry, I just can't remember the brand.

Rob
    The name of the front suspension are "Sachs Big-Bore shocks"
    and the rear suspension is "Sachs shock with self- leveling air preload adjustment", for the limited RT

And yes Mike said he was told they were a little beefier.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Rob,
    Mike

Yes it is a decade of input from us RT owners, Heck I spoke with a design engineer back in 2012 at the Can-Am Spyder Owners event and discussed how I had made a significant improvement by adding works performance shocks to my 2010 RTS. Also remember him asking me about my floorboards, as at that time they only came with foot pegs. I explained that with the Seal floorboards allowed for giving me more foot and leg adjustments. This was a benefit but that I also used the board to steer the spyder by applying foot and weight pressure at the top of the board where it flared up in turns. You could take turns so much more aggressively. By then I had already had installed a custom Corbin seat with a back rest. I also shared that this helped lock me in to the seat. He was taking notes with a pad and pen. Having his attention I said that in California with all the crazy drivers my best safety upgrade was the third brake light . What ya know, now the RT limited's top case has a third brake light.......... So yes they hit the mark!

+2qF7h9GSheUqC5Kfxcn9g.jpg
    P1050889.jpg
    that's my"Timeless Black" in the photo above

IMG_2422.jpg
    currently have these boards

BRP had on sight techs from their factory repairing and fixing things for free! Yes they even repaired my throttle linkage thingy ( the part you twist with your right hand to go)

DSC00312.jpg DSC00313.jpg

I for one am so thankful they gave us a large two helmet storage case. And am happy they kept the side bags the same. Why you ask? Because my original luggage that came with my RTS premier edition had luggage included and All 3 still fit!!!

fullsizeoutput_8af.jpg

Not sure what source you are getting documented info on a product that is not put out yet for us consumers, that so negatively puts them as missing the mark. Have read several of your other posts where you blast the looks of the spyder for all the black plastic. If we didn't have panels covering her up, then I feel she would look way more un finished. If you want to change something, and I know you do, by all your addons In your profile, just paint as I did in the photo above the rear body matching tail. Also had several other parts painted to my liking. Have seen a white one done that way and it looks bad ass. Also if you pre order you will get an additional 2 year warranty.

.............. but with all that said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

just sayin

TicketBait

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last line sort of says it all.

Spyder Garage

Yep TicketBait, thanks for the reminder as Sachs is what Mike said.
    Rob

Spyder Garage

Yep TicketBait, thanks for the reminder as Sachs is what Mike said.
    Rob
    Yes, called and spoke to him yesterday. Got some of my questions answered, and a few that he is going to call BRP on and get back to me next week about.

Spyder Garage

Please post what new info you discover from Mike.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Yes, called and spoke to him yesterday. Got some of my questions answered, and a few that he is going to call BRP on and get back to me next week about.