Spyder Garage

Default F3 Taillight Alternative

Back in July on a long tour to Colorado my riding partner lost the taillight lens on his 2015 F3. His lens disappearance was the second one I have personally seen on a ride. Since my partner was unwilling to spend $50+ for a complete taillight assembly unless it was absolutely necessary he went prowling on the web for a solution and came up with this option on Ebay (Photo 1, read photos left to right, top to bottom). The taillight and license plate mount were on a single piece of sheet metal and he needed only the light so he cut the assembly apart (Photos 2 and 3). Next he drilled an additional hole in the light backing plate and the F3 rear fender molding to mount it with the light centered horizontally (Photos 4 and 5). Photo 6 is of the facing side of the rear fender molding showing how the light is wired into the Spyder and Photo 7 is a picture of the back side of the rear fender molding wherein the square nut is on the screw in the newly drilled holes in the light back plate and fender molding. Photo 8 is of the light energized and because the camera is so close to the subject the LEDs appear to have a yellow tint while in real life the taillights simply glow red. To properly illuminate the license plate my partner found small clear LEDs in cylindrical housings that bolt onto the license plate and are wired into the tail light circuit. Photo 9 is a picture of them taken in the dark. While they appear to provide more than adequate illumination of the license plate I am not certain they meet safety inspection requirements of all states.

My partner has less than $20 invested in the whole project. The one thing he is uncertain of is the life expectancy of the LEDs but if they do not last long enough to meet his expectations he said he will put a resister in the circuit to lower the voltage. I have personally seen this new light system and, IMO, it looks very professional and is visually more appealing than the OEM taillight.

Rather than publishing my partner's personal email address anyone interested in pursuing the above modification may PM me and I will provide my partner's contact information.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Looks great! I love a good DIY!!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Here is a way to wire any LED to act like a dual filament Brake/Turn/Parking light. Click to see animation. I have a few of these as hi lights on my trailer.

tail-brake-LED.gif
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks. My friend is pretty savvy with LEDs and resistors as he has used them in other light applications on his F3.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Do you have an Ebay item # for that? Thanks

Spyder Garage
    Cognac 2014 RT-S