Spyder Garage

Post 2019 RT Limited - Shakes and Vibrations

Traded up from our 2013 RT Limited to a new 2019 RT Limited. Getting handlebar shakes and vibrations between 55 and 65 mph. Rides perfect at 75 mph plus. Have taken it into my local dealer and had both front wheels re balanced and drive belt tension adjusted. Much better after the belt adjustment was done, but still have shaking and vibrations between 55 and 65 mph which cause my hands, elbows, shoulders and neck to hurt after riding. Love the new ACE 1330 engine and six speed transmission, but hate the shake and vibration I'm currently putting up with. Dealer is talking about adding a belt tensioner and further rear wheel belt tension adjustments being made. I really like our new spyder, but would really love it rode better. Never had this issue with our 2013 RT Limited. I really believe I have a compounded issue with tires and drive belt. Any suggestions, recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks Biscuit56

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Based on what you said, if you still have Kenda tires that could be the issue - Kenda tires have about the worst track record for defective tires that I have ever seen. Sometimes even with high speed spin balancing they are soooooooooo bad they can't be corrected.. Currently there is an on-going thread about " Belt tensioning devices " and IMHO I wouldn't put one on …. Plus just lowering the belt tension ( quite a bit from OEM spec. ) often makes it better to the point of NONE.... PS, I have had terrible problems with dealers and won't take my RT there unless it's for FREE warranty work …. good luck ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get rid of the front tires. How's your alignment too.

Get the tires road forced balanced

Spyder Garage

another vote for changing the tires. Mine used to shimmy and shake a bit, but once i replaced the tires it's a much smoother ryde
    2016 RTL "Boris"

Foam Grips
    Utopia Backrest
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Bajaron sway bar
    LED Bumpskid w/remote
    Belt guard
    BRT rear lighting w/strobe
    High mount BRT w/strobe
    Dual a-arm LEDs w/turn signals
    Multicolor underground Halo lighting
    LED headlights and foglights
    FOBO TPMS
    Techgripper phone holder
    Lidlox
    Dual USB with voltmeter
    Dakota Digital Compass/Clock/Altimeter/Temperature Gauge
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55R15 - Fronts
    General Altimax RT43 215/60R15 - Rear

Spyder Garage

See if dealer could swap the fronts from another one and see what happens - should only take a little time to sort it out.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

My wife ran into this same issue with here 2016 RTL and we pushed on the dealer we bought it from since it was still under warranty when we purchased in 2018. In the end they found out the tire was over 80 grams out of balance and replaced the tire. 5000 miles later she is loving her ryde.
    2016 F3-T , Lamonster break pedal extender White

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For what it’s worth, we have had 6 or 7 sets of Kendas in the front to 3 spyders and have never had the problem you are describing.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

If the handlebars are shaking it's a good bet (as everyone else has said) that it's your Kenda tires. Not only can they be out of balance, they can also be out of round (as one is on my Ryker). You cannot balance an egg! Then there is the cord separation issue, which is far to common. It's easy to tell if your tire is out of round. Jack up the front wheels and spin them looking down at the tread face of the tire with a reference point on the ground. All tires will go in and out a little. But if the variation is very noticeable and or abrupt, this could easily be your issue. It is a shame that over all these years. Kenda tires have not really improved.

You can also look at the fenders as you ride at the speed where the vibration hits you. You may notice one or both fenders doing the jig.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-30-2019 at 09:51 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I'm another one on the Kenda is the problem bandwagon. My bike shook hard enough so that on my maiden voyage home the front fender was flapping. Took it back and had them re-balance the tire, still shook. Much reading later, and many stories of Kenda balance and out of round problems, I decided to go with car tires. Best choice as far as I believe. After riding enough to get the feel of a Spyder, and doing these 3 upgrades, I feel like this will solve the majority of the stuff that people complain about. In order of how I would do them (in hindsight)
    1. Laser Alignment (By a competent and recommended tech). This fixes the wandering and darting problem
    2. Baja Ron sway bar upgrade. This fixes the side to side wallowing of the RT when 2 up. Also helps with the wandering.
    3. Car tires of your choice. Did I mention the Kendas are made in China, with all the quality control issues that brings?
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Kenda Tires have know to be an on going issue. I also had a laser alignment at LaMonster that made a world of difference at all speed and improved handling also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Based on the 2017 RTL and 2018 RTL I've ridden it comes down to these areas when vibration is an issue in no set order and being a Spyder owner you probably know all of these but in case :
    1. Wheel Alignment - if not done properly or completely,... or at all by the dealership (some techs seem to miss some steps).
    2. Kenda tyres out of shape (meaning not quite round, bumps in the tread or construction), only learnt this in the last few months
    3. Bad wheel balance
    4. Ball joint (mine wore out in under 5000k's on the 2017)
    5. Belt Tension/vibration due to the belt length
    6. Lose wheel nuts (came back from a service with 2 loose wheel nuts)
    7. Lose mount for shock absorber.

On the belt vibration, I always got mine between 110 and 125 km/hr (not sure what that is in mph). I found adjusting the suspension to max took out the vibration at those ranges. Since replacing the rear tyre this has ceased
    Last edited by askitee; 11-07-2019 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Update
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I ran into a similar issue with my 2019 RT limited. purchased it with 23 miles on it. Took a road trip to encompass an 800+/- mile round trip to south-central Ohio for some aggressive riding. I reaching speeds between 70 and 80 at times during the trip down and back, the floor boards and handlebars would vibrate significantly at various speeds between this range. Wasn't until the bike reached 1000+ miles did the vibrations cease. Purrrr's like a kitten between 0 to 80 now, not sure why other than the bike settling into proper alignment and fitment? From what I've been reading on this topic, it's tires and belt tensioner being the biggest culprits. I would bank on at least getting a quality replacement belt tensioner first. That's the least expensive option to start with and easy to install can't go wrong with that if you have an issue or not. Good luck!
    2019 RT Limited , Pheonix orange

Spyder Garage

Shortly ( 50-60 miles ) after purchasing my 2014 RTs , it shook like an out of balance washing machine. Back to the dealer!!!!!!! The took the tires and rims off a floor model, said the tires were out of round and couldn't be balanced. Smooth now. Actually smoother with new fronts and a belt anti-harmonic roller.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

You know this is one of those times you wished some one from BRP would just read all these posts of unhappy people and there feelings and do some thing about this stupid problem!!! You spend good money on a bike and cant get a good set of tires on it, and then to tell there dealers to not put any thing other than the same junk on if you want new tires!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

so, where are you getting the replacement tires, and what brand other than Kenda?
    2018 RT , Blue