Spyder Garage

Default Love, love, love those TN, NC, WV, VA mountain roads

Cautionary note: this is just one Old Fart's opinion, and a northern foreigner at that. Also, I'm in no way an expert, or even a long-riding, experienced motorcyclist. I just returned to this stuff 2-1/2 years ago, after nearly 40 year's absence; but since my 'M' license was still valid, I opted to buy a 2017 F3L. Ever so happy I did. What you see here is the enthusiasm of a 'born again' ryder who has now found spiritual bliss ryding the twisties and discovering the beauty of back-road America (and Canada). To enjoy my bike 12 months a year, I haul "Red Fun" from Ontario to FL each fall, and north again in spring. I try to get in some hill riding in Oct/Nov on my way south, and explore different routes each trip. Some fellow SL members have been kind enough to coach me on my route choices, and I have gained more insight from previous posts by still others. My Thanks to all. The following comments are my attempt to contribute something back by way of exchange.

In Nov. 2017, I stopped off in Maggie Valley, NC, for two days and rode in the Smokey Mountains, did 'Moonshiner 28' and 'Tail of the Dragon'. Beautiful!!! I was hooked and knew I had to return for more. This was just my first taste.
    20171105_112017.jpg20171105_130243.jpg20171105_114934.jpgsig.jpg
    In late Oct. 2018, I unloaded the Spyder near Bastian, VA, for the afternoon, then hauled over to Banner Elk, NC. Along the way there, I hauled the Spyder over 'The Snake' between Holston Valley and Mountain City, TN, and knew I really needed to do this on the bike, too; saved that for another year. Before leaving NC, I rode along the Blue Ridge Pkwy. to Linville Falls, Little Switzerland, and rode the 'Diamondback'. Then west and south through TN and down to Asheville, where I re-joined the BRP, past Skinny Dip Falls, then took 215 south (what a pretty descent from the upper levels of the BRP, where unfortunately, I had run into heavy fog and rain - ah, well, reason to return again to see what I missed).
    20181031_132337_Burst08.jpg20181031_134006_HDR.jpg1541091115232.jpg
    With that 'sampling', I looked forward with great anticipation to this year's adventure. However, the weather gods were suggesting that my driving/riding schedule would only provide two decent days. I left Peterborough, ON, at 7:30 pm on a Tuesday evening, drove about 19 hours overnight and next day, and got to Shady Valley, TN, around 2:00 pm on Wed. afternoon, so that I could unload and do 'The Snake', for real this time, on the Spyder. The 'Snake' has a north section and a south section (two different mountains with a valley in between). The hills have sharp climbs/drops, quite tight switchbacks, countless turns; there is hardly 100' of straight road anywhere, except in the valley; the pavement on 421 is smooth and recently re-surfaced. It is technically challenging. The road west from Shady Valley to Elizabethton is rugged, has broken pavement and seemingly even greater challenges. Would make for a helluva great ride if the authorities ever bring it up to the same level as the other north/south portions. The road east from Shady Valley to Damascus is very interesting because of the 'Backbone Rock' formation, through whose sharply rising ridge there is a very short tunnel. Stunning scenery. My greatest regret is that I couldn't video record on my new GoPro7 because of a malfunctioning mount; all I can show here are some still photos from my phone. There are on-line Internet sites that can show the mountain views of the 'Snake' if you care to see; here are some pics of 'Backbone' and along that bit of road.
    20191023_123915_HDR.jpg20191023_124013_HDR.jpg20191023_145506_HDR.jpg20191023_150317_HDR.jpg20191023_145601_HDR.jpg
    Following an afternoon of fun 'snaking' my way through Shady Valley and environs, I re-loaded and hauled west to Alcoa, south of Knoxville. I had been mostly in motion for about 27 hours before collapsing into bed. Next morning, Thurs., I was up early to head over to Oliver Springs, and tackle the 'Devil's Triangle'. It was quite chilly; maybe 40F/42F, but better in the sun. Off I went. Wow!!! I think this just became my most all-time favorite ryde. Sharp changes in elevation, multiple tight switchbacks with no guardrails. Hell, in TN, apparently, they don't ever build roads with shoulders; no room for error; you're either on black pavement or not - the 'not' includes either in the trees or just in empty air (sheer drops of hundreds of feet). I concluded that, to safely ryde in those TN hills, you need: 1- good brakes; 2- good tires; 3- good sense; 4- strong 'situational awareness'; and if all that fails, perhaps 5- a parachute!!! Hopefully, these pics convey just a little bit of what I felt - it was a challenging, truly delightful, morning ryde:
    20191024_101215.jpg20191024_101255_HDR.jpg20191024_102408_HDR.jpg
    Re-loaded again around noon and headed south to Tellico Plains, the western end of the Cherohala Skyway. I had heard so much about it, but it turned out to be something less than I really expected. Beautiful, yes; but more like a sweeping, leisurely 'Sunday drive'-type of thing, IMHO, after the thrills of 'Devil's Triangle' or even the 'Snake' or 'Diamondback'. I had thoughts of unloading 'Red Fun' and doing a portion of the Cherohala on the bike (even had some verbal encouragement to do so from a couple of Harleys and GW's) but just stuck to hauling through. Took some pics looking both north and south:
    20191024_133900_HDR.jpg20191024_133852.jpg20191024_134447_Burst01.jpg20191024_134443.jpg
    I had hoped to head over to Waynesville, NC, spend the night, get up Fri. morning, then ryde the 'Rattler' before heading south to GA and FL. Rain was already in the forecast, so I opted to just cut things short and turn south on Hwy 28, near Bryson City. More twisties on those first few miles, except I was once again hauling rather than ryding the Spyder. Nevertheless, still a fun trip. Took a detour over through Helen, GA, to explore that picturesque, Bavarian-style town in the northeast hills of that state.

Decided not to check in for the night, and kept on rolling. 6:30 am Friday saw me pulling in to my winter-time refuge in mid-FL's Lake Country. Not quite the mountains, but lots of interesting back roads, all the same. Wed. mornings will hopefully once again see me sharing some laughs and breaking bread with buddies in the Hump Day Riders. All the same, I'm still basking in the thrills and challenges of my two days of 2019 'back-to-back' twisty ryding in the hill country along the way. It is possible that someday I may just ryde off into those mountain roads and never re-emerge. Love those twisties and their challenges, and the very nice folks I've met along the way. Cheers.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Great pics! Thanks. Since have a reason to go to NC, maybe next year. Roads look VERY Spyderable.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

I just got back from Spyders in the Hills in Texas and it was great, but there's no place like home. Riding the Blue Ridge Parkway is a day trip for me. I'm really happy living in this area. Glad you had a good time too.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I’m with you! The Blue Ridge Parkway is Motor Cycler’s Dream come true. Not only do I ride both, my Spyder and Harley there every day, staggering , if isn’t raining, but I also walk 3 miles daily on it in the mornings. Right now, the Fall Foliage is really popping in S.W. Virginia.
    007 JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I just got back from Spyders in the Hills in Texas and it was great, but there's no place like home. Riding the Blue Ridge Parkway is a day trip for me. I'm really happy living in this area. Glad you had a good time too.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thank you BUSHRAT for a great post
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Bushrat thanks for a great write up both on your Spyder and hauling. And thank you for including such great pictures. I would really like to see more of us (including myself) post more about our travels and our pictures.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for bringing back so many memories. I have been blessed to ride every signal road that you have listed, and more. In fact, I was there for 5 days at the spyder rally (10/9-13), and made a day trip back last weekend. We are truly blessed to have such beautiful country to ride in. I was slightly disappointed this weekend, as there was a chance of rain, and no one wanted to do it on the bikes. But the wife and I took the chance and did it on the mustang convertible. Top down, heated seats on, heat blasting at 83, and windows up! However, the BRP was full of fog and low clouds. But we were able to get off and hit 221 around the Linville Caverns area and see some great colors. The weekend should be clear, but much cooler. I only have 1/2 a day to ride, but I still might strike out in that direction and see how far I can go before having to head home. I love that area, and just am glad to see that others appreciate it also. Been trying to convince the wife to move there for the past 4 years. Maybe one day.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

You have just scratched the surface of the great motorcycle riding roads in the NC mountains.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Great scenery indeed. We are blessed with similar, but not going to mention where. I like these roads all to my self.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    You have just scratched the surface of the great motorcycle riding roads in the NC mountains.
    Indeed, JayBros, you are so right!!! Happily for me, Red Fun and I intend to keep scratching the itch to ryde those hills until we're absolutely exhausted. Both you and blacklightning have been past sources for our encouragement, and we thank you immensely. Already working on next year's routes. And, Keith, maybe we'll meet up along the way sometime. Cheers, Roger.

(PS: Mike, BLUEKNIGHT911, I'm not forgetting that we need to do some Spydering in VT, NH and the Adirondacks as well; that could be in the cards in summer 2020. Have been there many times by car.)
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Yes,that part of the country has some great roads.For more info try FB group called "Maggie valley rides",and Americaridesmaps.com
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE