SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Fenders have movement

I'm wondering if the front fenders are supposed to have movement when you apply the brakes.

Last weekend I enjoyed the warm weather and noticed that my fenders were rocking forward while braking.

During a quick stop I see this. If I do a slow stop I do not see any movement.

Checked my suspension and didn't see anything loose.

Anybody else see this on your Spyder?
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

There is enough flex in the front end to allow the fenders to rock forward a bit under hard braking. My 15 does the same thing.
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    I'm wondering if the front fenders are supposed to have movement when you apply the brakes.

Last weekend I enjoyed the warm weather and noticed that my fenders were rocking forward while braking.

During a quick stop I see this. If I do a slow stop I do not see any movement.

Checked my suspension and didn't see anything loose.

Anybody else see this on your Spyder?
    For peace of mind, while the Spyder is stopped, grab the fender plastic and see if it moves ( it shouldn't ).then check the tightness of the fender bracket bolts. If they are tight, I'm sure what you notice, is from the suspension. During a hard stop it flex's a little ( because of compression ) and this is what you see …… Mike

Spyder Garage

If your Spyder is a 1330, the front suspension is rubber mounted and has considerable flex. It doesn't take much load to move the top suspension wishbone relative to the lower one.
    If you doubt what I say, try this: stand at the side of your front wheel looking down at the top wishbone suspension arm and visually line it up with the lower one, now put your fingers under the front of the fender and lift, watch how far the top arm moves relative to the lower one. You may find it slightly alarming that it moves so far out of line and so easily!

However, if your fender movement is cyclic, as in moving fore and aft while braking, that is a different issue and is a brake and/or hub problem.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

under hard braking, my fenders are the last thing I will look at, guaranteed.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Just for giggles I grabbed the front fenders of my 2014 RTs and tried to move them for and aft. Solid, non-moving and I wouldn't be looking at them either in a hard stop.

Lew L
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 11-01-2019 at 03:23 PM. Reason: bypass language filter
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderlass View Post
    Man you must be a weakling, the arms are rubber mounted and the top one is easy to move...get down the gym....
    Mine don't move either and if yours moves, you might be the one with the problem. The A arms are mounted to the frame with (I believe) plastic bushings and the ball joints are metal. If the upper A arm mounts move the bushing need to be replaced.

What rubber mounting points are you talking about? The only rubber are the tires and they don't count.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Mine don't move either and if yours moves, you might be the one with the problem. The A arms are mounted to the frame with (I believe) plastic bushings and the ball joints are metal. If the upper A arm mounts move the bushing need to be replaced.

What rubber mounting points are you talking about? The only rubber are the tires and they don't count.
    Aha, we might be talking crossed. The V-twin RTs use solid bushes but the 1330 uses rubber bushes. They both use steel ball joints on the upright, though of different design.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Front End

I visited my Spyder Dealership and they were very helpful.

The movement of my 2016 RTL Fenders is normal.
    My Front End is .....A OKAY.

This is the design of the RT Spyder Front Suspension. This is for the RT 1330's engine powered Spyder.

Thanks all the Tips.................
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    I visited my Spyder Dealership and they were very helpful.

The movement of my 2016 RTL Fenders is normal.
    My Front End is .....A OKAY.

This is the design of the RT Spyder Front Suspension. This is for the RT 1330's engine powered Spyder.

Thanks all the Tips.................
    A good outcome.... For those who say their fenders are rock solid, well, I don't know what to say other than they're not, they're just like yours. Rubber mounted suspension, it's gonna move cos that's what rubber does.

Anyway, I'm pleased your mind is at rest about it, and as you say...
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderlass View Post
    Aha, we might be talking crossed. The V-twin RTs use solid bushes but the 1330 uses rubber bushes. They both use steel ball joints on the upright, though of different design.
    Hate to say this but the bushings are a metal tube with rubber on the outside (or visa versa). If they move to the point you can make them move, they need replacing. They shouldn't move as easily as the rubber is very hard and if they do they're too worn out. The fenders are mounted to the hub and may move as the braking happens. To me, it's also a sign things need to be checked.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red