Spyder Garage

Default What to look for in a used spyder?

I’m looking at purchasing a spyder within next 6 months or so. I’ve also considered a ryker but mainly due to cost. I like the F3 and RT. I’m planning on mostly doing day trips and occasional overnight. But newer F3’s and RT’s are out of my budget. Looking more in the sub-$13-$14000 range.
    So how old is old? How many miles are considered a lot of miles? I’m new to riding so I’m basing it off of a car but I imagine with smaller engines there is probably more wear and tear.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

snayl135
    2019 Rally , Black / Yellow

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by snayl135 View Post
    I’m looking at purchasing a spyder within next 6 months or so. I’ve also considered a ryker but mainly due to cost. I like the F3 and RT. I’m planning on mostly doing day trips and occasional overnight. But newer F3’s and RT’s are out of my budget. Looking more in the sub-$13-$14000 range.
    So how old is old? How many miles are considered a lot of miles? I’m new to riding so I’m basing it off of a car but I imagine with smaller engines there is probably more wear and tear.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

snayl135
    13 to 14 I think you can do well in a few months if you shop around. I think if you look at private owners also you could get a 2014 or newer RT or newer, 2015 or newer F3. As for mileage it is really about condition of the Spyder. I think if the Spyder is well taken care of it will go well past 100,000 miles a few here I think have already. So its like anything else look it over ask questions, buy it if you like it. Good Luck Shopping!!

I did want to add one more thing; if you want to save even more the older models 2010 to 2013 with the 998 motor are great also and the age is not an issue if it has been cared for. I have a 2012 and would not part with it! It will take me anywhere I want to go anytime.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 10-28-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I Agree partly with CopperSpyder and have some prejudice. There have been some good looking '14 RTs advertised on SL. IMO, if one can find what he wants in '14 RT the advantages of the 1330 ACE engine and six speed transmission far outweigh the older V-twins. You could probably save some more shekels looking for one with an SM 6 trans but, again, you would probably eat some on resale if you found you didn't like it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Having owned a 2010 and now owning a 2014 RT, I would only purchase a 2014 RT or newer (if you go for an RT). On the surface, aside from the engine, they seem about the same, but in my experience the newer model is simply far better built, and there is not question that it has considerably more power, which can make a real difference if you ride two up, or do a lot of inclines.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Used Spyder

My vote would would be a 2014 or newer F3 or a RT.
    That being said, Have YOU ridden a Spyder? If not, you need to find a good dealership and test ride them.
    Also, I guess you have the necessary license to ride. If not, you need to find a dealer that you can get the endorsement.
    Check on Spyder Forum (For Sale) and maybe find the Spyder for you at a reasonable price.
    Take your Time and GOOD LUCK ON YOUR DECISION.......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Your timing is perfect- the 2020 model is a milestone year for the Spyder much like the 2013/2014 was so there will be a lot of turn over to the 2020 giving you multiple choices in the used market. I’m looking myself and pivot daily from buying new or used. Finding good value is the key- a great low price matched with high mileage and no warranty might spell trouble. Personally I think a lot of the used market is over priced with many listed at “high retail” for a private sale. Like any trike these vehicles accumulate more miles than their two wheel cousins so if you can find one with an extended warranty that would be a big plus. Another plus buying from a dealer is that generally they will have done a basic inspection on the vehicle they take in on trade and fix any recall items. Go into any sale scenario with your phone on your favorite moto valuation site so you can show the seller (private or dealer) what the vehicle is really worth. Good luck out there.

Spyder Garage

Some times if you wait and go for the left over years you can get a little more bang for your buck! they want to get last years off the lot so they can fill it up with the new stuff! But if you don't have anything right now, and having a hard time picking from a RT, or the F3, you should ride or rent one for a day!! They are two different frames and feel and ride different! That would be the first thing I would try to figure out!! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

When we started shopping around for a Spyder in the fall of 2017, the Facebook pages had a lot of them for sale that we did not see here. So, be sure to sign up on as many of those as you can find. I agree with those promoting 2014 and newer. Our first test ride was on a 998 at a dealership and we ended up with a 2014 RT Limited found on Facebook. It is a world of difference.

Beyond the obvious power, one HUGE difference was the fact that the 2014 had the aftermarket stabilizer bar installed and the 998 did not. Without that bar, the 998 felt like it was about to fly a front wheel on every turn or curve.

Based on what we paid in '17 for our 2014, I'm thinking you can likely stay within your budget on a '14 or '15 now that they are 5 to 6 years old since the 2020s are out.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

IMHO.... Stay away from any of the V-Twin engine Spyder. The 1330's and 6-speed tranny are light years better than the earlier bikes. Also, you want to see written maintenance records. Who did the maintenances? When were the last updates to the system? Overall condition of the Spyder. Higher mileage one, look at tires, brakes, suspension system. Battery? Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Im selling my wife 2017 F3 Limited with 7200 miles. Tons of extras. F4 windshield Lamonster gripper floorboards front and rear, Akrapovic exaust, Tom Tom Navigation, Elka shocks, Spyder extras swaybar with links + much more. Message me to inquire.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

if you're still looking... Don't be afraid to walk away.... there are good ones out there.... I got mine from NC and shipped it down. Mint condition 3300 miles 2015 RTS. Found this one after looking at about 15, both in person and via video chat showing me the bike....
    Jim Summers - Pensacola FL
    www.PensacolaHouseHunters.com
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Buy a new one, F3 T in the nineteen large widow is not that much more than you are willing to spend on a used one, long term low payment?
    you will always have a one owner.
    2018 F3 , Full size brake pedal Black

Spyder Garage

Right now many dealers have great deals on left over 2018/2019 models they are trying to get rid of. You might have to travel to get it or have it shipped but I saw a new 2019 F3 base model advertised for $9,999 in Kansas. Same dealership I purchased mine from in September and they were great to work with and everything went very smooth. I do weekend trips and have done one three day trip so far with an F3-S with no saddlebags. I have a 40L drybag I strap on to the back along with the front storage and it is plenty of storage for me.

Spyder Garage

is this a good deal? after some negotiation of course...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6810398605814/
    Jim Summers - Pensacola FL
    www.PensacolaHouseHunters.com
    2018 RT , Blue