Thread: F3L fuel info

Spyder Garage

Default F3L fuel info

My wife has a 2018 F3L and absolutely loves it. I have a 2018 Indian Chieftain. From what I read the F3 has a fuel tank that holds approx 7gal my chief holds 5.5 We get approximately the same mpg ( I get a bit more but I believe that is due to my bikes weight being a bit less). What I am noticing is that we always fuel up together and we put in approximately the same amount of gas, yet our fuel gauges also always show about the same amount of miles left on the tanks even though she has a larger tank?

Is this normal or am I mistaken about tank size?

UPDATE: I think I need to be a bit clearer after reading the responses. My question is about the fuel remaining on the instrument gauge. Since the F3L has a 7.1 capacity fuel tank and my Indian tank is only 5.5 and if we are both getting about the same gas mileage per gallon why do they both show the same fuel remaining? I have seen this on other F3's also. From the tank size of the F3L the fuel remaining should be approximately 70ish miles more on a regular basis but it remains the same.

Thank you
    John

Spyder Garage

Specifications in operator's guide say 7.1 gal.
    Last edited by JayBros; 10-28-2019 at 01:34 PM. Reason: sloppy, half awake spelling
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Don't know if you're keeping track of the mileage on the F3 but here's what I'm averaging over the last 1800 miles or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

All guages are not alike not the tank formation. You need only see if you put in the same amount of gals. When the guages show you need fuel and how much is left in the tank will vary and the capasity on the spyders compared to what you can acually get in also is not the same.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It may very well be that your wife is only putting about 5 gallons into her F3 tank when filling up. The F3 can hold 7 gallons, but automatic gas pump handles tend to shut off well before the tank is completely full. F3 seems to be notorious for this. So, you are both probably burning off 5 gals and thus are getting similar distance and filling up at same time. With the F3, you have to keep on squeezing the pump handle and try to bring the gas level up closer to top of filler tube in order to get a complete fill up. When you do that, the F3 will go about 250 miles on a tank. My 2017 F3L has actually done closer to 270 and still had some left. Over the past two years, I have averaged about 40 mpg; best was 43.5 mpg on two different occasions. (That is while riding at moderate - non-Interstate speeds - no strong head winds, decent weather and NOT pulling my trailer. Hot dogging, doing burnouts, fast highway travel and pulling extra weight will reduce this by 15-20%).
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

I had a 14 Chieftain. Believe it was 5.5 gal tank. My 18 F3L is 7.1. My Chieftain got 38-42 mpg. Average 38. My F3L gets 34-38. 36 average. I can go farther on my F3L. Over 200 miles. About 180 on the Chieftain.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Are you ridding with ECO mode on or off?

Spyder Garage

I ride an Indian Vintage (same engine as Chieftain, no windshield) and my wife has an F3. We only cruise rural roads and generally run 50-60 mph. I average (actually calculated) about 50 mpg and she averages about 40 mpg. We always gas up when I need gas and she takes on more gas as she gets 80% of my mpg. Since her tank is 7.1 gallons and mine is 5.5 gallons, this works out perfectly for us. For example, if I fill up with 5 gallons, she would take about 6.5 gallons. My tank would have .5 gallons to empty, which would be about 25 miles. Her tank would have .6 gallons to empty, which would be about 24 miles. Theses two vehicles are perfectly matched to cruise together!!
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revrent View Post
    My wife has a 2018 F3L and absolutely loves it. I have a 2018 Indian Chieftain. From what I read the F3 has a fuel tank that holds approx 7gal my chief holds 5.5 We get approximately the same mpg ( I get a bit more but I believe that is due to my bikes weight being a bit less). What I am noticing is that we always fuel up together and we put in approximately the same amount of gas, yet our fuel gauges also always show about the same amount of miles left on the tanks even though she has a larger tank?

Is this normal or am I mistaken about tank size?

UPDATE: I think I need to be a bit clearer after reading the responses. My question is about the fuel remaining on the instrument gauge. Since the F3L has a 7.1 capacity fuel tank and my Indian tank is only 5.5 and if we are both getting about the same gas mileage per gallon why do they both show the same fuel remaining? I have seen this on other F3's also. From the tank size of the F3L the fuel remaining should be approximately 70ish miles more on a regular basis but it remains the same.

Thank you
    John
    FYI: Chieftain and F3 weights are very close, depending on F3 model. For an "average" husband/wife, your additional bodyweight will make the 2 vehicles almost the same weight with driver.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Onei View Post
    Are you ridding with ECO mode on or off?
    The quotes aren't popping up for me today so I don't know who you're asking the question to. In my case, I'm averaging 38.3 mpg on my F3L, combined driving, mostly running errands and some country roads, no highway driving at all, ECO is on 100% of the time, the only way I drive. I actually like ECO mode better . . . go figure
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue