Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    Did Doc offer a reimbursement for the belt? If not, he should at least offer to pay for half.
    No, He was just going to send me a new roller, but after inspection, the hole that the bolt goes threw is wallowed out. He would need to replace the whole thing. I am just going with a Spiders Extras damper this time. Much better quality and lifetime warranty. Honestly I did not expect him to replace the belt but If he chose to go that route, fix all the damage the failure caused.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    My opinion only, but as I see it a major issue with most of the dampeners I looked at was the small roller. If you look at an automotive style serpentine belt tensioner, you will see a much larger roller. Of course due to limited space, the small size is required to fit in there. But that little roller is going a gazzilion revs per hour. If there was a way to increase the diameter of the roller it would reduce the wear on the bearings.
    Lamonster garage sells a much bigger diameter roller to fit the OEM damper. In desperation [ see post 7 ] I purchased 2 & with some lathe work fitted them to the RR dampers hoping they would not move the belt out of alignment. No such luck. Now the dampers sit in a draw.

Spyder Garage

The down and dirty thing is, no matter witch roller system you go with, you have to reach down there every so often and check that wheel for play! It's a bearing and bearings wear out and loose there grease then by, by! It will happen with the BRP style, as well as all the rest! Good luck, happy riding!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    No, He was just going to send me a new roller, but after inspection, the hole that the bolt goes threw is wallowed out. He would need to replace the whole thing. I am just going with a Spiders Extras damper this time. Much better quality and lifetime warranty. Honestly I did not expect him to replace the belt but If he chose to go that route, fix all the damage the failure caused.
    Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. ( those of us who have installed the Dampeners ) After seeing the photo of the damaged $300 Belt and Roller failure, I decided I am finished with all Dampeners. I had Doc’s on my 2016 RTL, and Removed it yesterday. The Roller still rolled, but not freely, and the spring didn’t have much spring left in it, and is probably why there was still any blue material left on the Roller at all. I really hated spending another 2 hours removing the panels to get to the Dampener. That was the 3rd time, I.e. installing it, then broken spring replacement, and now, removal. In truth, I took a 100 mile cruise yesterday after removing the Dampener, and have to honestly confess, I never noticed any difference in the Belt Chatter at all, with out the Dampener. I know there will be others who say,...” My Spyder has never had Belt Chatter”,...but for me, as just a Spyder owner that has logged almost 100,000 miles between my 2012 & 2016 RTLs, and don’t sell any Spyder parts and have no skin in the game, other than sharing Spyder experiences with other Owners, you Can believe me when I say, I have ALWAYS had Belt Chatter, with, and with out the Dampener. After seeing the photo of the damaged belt, I wouldn’t install ANY Dampener on my Spyder again, even if it was offered free.
    007 James
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-30-2019 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The down and dirty thing is, no matter witch roller system you go with, you have to reach down there every so often and check that wheel for play! It's a bearing and bearings wear out and loose there grease then by, by! It will happen with the BRP style, as well as all the rest! Good luck, happy riding!!!
    No, there is one that does not wear out and fail like this. It also existed long before the BRP version, RR, Spyder Extras etc. Unfortunately quality costs money. The tensioner from Smooth Spyder uses a 3 inch diameter automotive belt tensioner and bearings. Mine currently has over 45,000 miles on it and its running as smooth as the day I installed it well over 4 yrs ago. Smooth spyder does not sell many as its more expensive than the other options but when folks ask me which one I use, I don't mind recommending it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    No, there is one that does not wear out and fail like this. It also existed long before the BRP version, RR, Spyder Extras etc. Unfortunately quality costs money. The tensioner from Smooth Spyder uses a 3 inch diameter automotive belt tensioner and bearings. Mine currently has over 45,000 miles on it and its running as smooth as the day I installed it well over 4 yrs ago. Smooth spyder does not sell many as its more expensive than the other options but when folks ask me which one I use, I don't mind recommending it.
    JC . . take a look at their website https://www.smoothspyder.com/belt-tensioners/ Current production rollers from Smooth Spyder look to be about the same diameter or only marginally larger than other makes (unless the pictures are deceiving) and have a two year warranty on the roller . .

I considered the Smooth Spyder tensioner but decided on the Lamonster unit instead (due to the cost). Ran it for six months and like others it resides in the drawer right now. Couldn't feel any difference with or without. Not saying it doesn't have it's benefits, just my experience.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    JC . . take a look at their website https://www.smoothspyder.com/belt-tensioners/ Current production rollers from Smooth Spyder look to be about the same diameter or only marginally larger than other makes (unless the pictures are deceiving) and have a two year warranty on the roller . .

I considered the Smooth Spyder tensioner but decided on the Lamonster unit instead (due to the cost). Ran it for six months and like others it resides in the drawer right now. Couldn't feel any difference with or without. Not saying it doesn't have it's benefits, just my experience.
    Looks are deceiving. It may not be 3", perhaps its 2.75 but its close. MUCH larger than the 1" roller from BRP or RR. The smooth spyder versions were around long before any of the others came to market and have never had these problems posted above. Long before there was even an F3....

They last. I have one and we have sold several to customers. None have failed or worn out. Belt tensioners in automotive applications last for hundreds of thousands of miles and these are much more lightly loaded than fan belts.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Knowing some of your reply's on here I will bet the farm you check it every now and then, don't you?? That is what I was getting at!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

My RR tensioner took out my belt at 50,000 miles, he advertises it as a 1,000,000 mile tensioner. When I sent him photos he replied with a thumbs up emoji. It happened early this year and my F3T only turned 2 years old in August. I don’t remember what the price of the tensioner was, but it became quite expensive when I had to replace my belt.

We had my belt adjusted so it no longer vibrates but after the repairs for the oil leak I had on this trip, it is back to an annoying level. I will have Joe adjust it and I’m sure a tensioner will not be needed.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

First farkle i put on the used ST-S I bought. Smoothspyder all the way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post

$265 including U.S.A. shipping
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Knowing some of your reply's on here I will bet the farm you check it every now and then, don't you?? That is what I was getting at!!!
    Absolutely.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. ( those of us who have installed the Dampeners ) After seeing the photo of the damaged $300 Belt and Roller failure, I decided I am finished with all Dampeners. I had Doc’s on my 2016 RTL, and Removed it yesterday. The Roller still rolled, but not freely, and the spring didn’t have much spring left in it, and is probably why there was still any blue material left on the Roller at all. I really hated spending another 2 hours removing the panels to get to the Dampener. That was the 3rd time, I.e. installing it, then broken spring replacement, and now, removal. In truth, I took a 100 mile cruise yesterday after removing the Dampener, and have to honestly confess, I never noticed any difference in the Belt Chatter at all, with out the Dampener. I know there will be others who say,...” My Spyder has never had Belt Chatter”,...but for me, as just a Spyder owner that has logged almost 100,000 miles between my 2012 & 2016 RTLs, and don’t sell any Spyder parts and have no skin in the game, other than sharing Spyder experiences with other Owners, you Can believe me when I say, I have ALWAYS had Belt Chatter, with, and with out the Dampener. After seeing the photo of the damaged belt, I wouldn’t install ANY Dampener on my Spyder again, even if it was offered free.
    007 James

2 Hours?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-30-2019 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Like jcthorne I have the Smooth Spyder belt tensioner. I have 49000 miles on it and it still works as well as the day I installed it. Some might consider it expensive, but you get what you pay for!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

It looks like I replaced my belt just in time. After further inspection, beside the deep groves on the top of the belt all the way around I found a tear that had gone threw maybe a quarter of the way threw the belt.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'm surprised that one of the belt tensioners manufactures didn't jump into the conversation and give us their take on the roller failure

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post

2 Hours?

This was obviously a challenge to my wrenching speed. My Rebuttal is,...don’t judge with out ..........
    1) hopefully living until your almost 78 , and trying to remove all of the Panels, and Tupperware from an RT Limited to get to the Dampener.
    2) searching for the correct Torx drivers to match the various Tupperware screws, after searching for the Tool Kit that has been misplaced. Then, struggling to pull out the two that presses in to the rubber mounts with out cracking the Tupperware. Not a small challenge , unless you have done it regularly. Then, trying to figure out how to take out the plastic compression lock fasteners with out breaking one, because you don’t have replacement spares as Dealers have on hand,....” some times.”
    3) but before any of that is started, taking off the mirror with out breaking the top plastic mount, or breaking the clips on the bottom two mounts is also very difficult for even Dealer Techs, let alone a Do It Yourself Novice working in a dark limited space in an apartment garage with no Tools other than the Spyder Tool Kit,....AFTER locating it.
    4) then, assuming all has gone well in disassembly, and the Dampener has been successfully removed,
    5) “ Some One”..... has to put all that stuff back together, hopefully remembering which part has to go back on first, before the other stuff that goes on top of it lines up!! ( and that usually requires multiple removals!) , hoping none of the screws and fasteners were not either lost, or mixed up with different panels. ( Murphy’s Law)
    6) Then, getting the Demon Mirror back on, .....is surely impossible with out at least 15 minutes of contemplation, Prayer, Begging,....and finally CURSING, ....before ordering a set of Magic Mirror Magnets in anticipation of surely needing to remove Tupperware Panels again, in some near future.
    7) heck, I think my estimate of two hours for that Job was at least two hours less than ANY Neophyte could do it, even after spending a half hour watching Doc’s Installation Videos!!

007James
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-31-2019 at 02:16 AM. Reason: 007 - Misspelling; then PA Fixed Quote Display... I think?! :/

Spyder Garage

Last year I had a BRP belt tensioner go bad and was replaced with the same by Spyderpops. Almost 16,000 miles later it went out again. We were in Maggie Valley a couple of weeks ago and it happened on that trip. There is now a groove in my belt.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I got my new tentioner today and while installing it I looked down and noticed I had the belt turned the wrong direction. After a few choice words I proceeded to remove the belt again and turn it around. I took a lot less time the second time around. I found that I did not need to remove the shock bolt. Just jack it up and it loosens up enough to work it off and back on again. BTW I never have received the replacement roller from RR after more than a week. Doesn't matter now, I have his competitors Damper in its place now.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Last year I had a BRP belt tensioner go bad and was replaced with the same by Spyderpops. Almost 16,000 miles later it went out again. We were in Maggie Valley a couple of weeks ago and it happened on that trip. There is now a groove in my belt.
    You need to replace it ASAP! Mine looked the same and on closer inspection It had a tear that was hard to see unless you flex it. I was thinking of keep ryding on it. This weekend I am going on a 2 day ryde to the Talimena trail. That would be bad if it broke while out on that trip. Im fortunate to have make it home from the Spyders in the Hills pulling a trailer. If you do go with a BRP damper, get Lamonsters roller on it.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

VERY INTERESTING

I use the BRP one and change it every time i get an oil change.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I got my new tentioner today and while installing it I looked down and noticed I had the belt turned the wrong direction. After a few choice words I proceeded to remove the belt again and turn it around. I took a lot less time the second time around. I found that I did not need to remove the shock bolt. Just jack it up and it loosens up enough to work it off and back on again. BTW I never have received the replacement roller from RR after more than a week. Doesn't matter now, I have his competitors Damper in its place now.
    These tensioner failures causing belt destruction has me very concerned! I was going to install my brand new RR VIBRATION DAMPER Kit # 3 (FOR ALL RT'S) - UVBD3.1 this winter but now I do not want to install on my RT for fear of problems.
    I paid $165.00 for this kit and will sell it to the first $150.00 offered.
    I am doing more research before installing any belt tensioner on my Spyder. I do not want to create major maintenance failures by trying to improve my ride.
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    VERY INTERESTING

I use the BRP one and change it every time i get an oil change.

Cruzr Joe
    That is a very good Idea and habit to get into.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post
    These tensioner failures causing belt destruction has me very concerned! I was going to install my brand new RR VIBRATION DAMPER Kit # 3 (FOR ALL RT'S) - UVBD3.1 this winter but now I do not want to install on my RT for fear of problems.
    I paid $165.00 for this kit and will sell it to the first $150.00 offered.
    I am doing more research before installing any belt tensioner on my Spyder. I do not want to create major maintenance failures by trying to improve my ride.
    That was my dilemma, which I solved by reducing my belt tension to the absolute minimum and removing the tensioner. Anything running on the belt can destroy it, which is not a good thing if you're in the middle of Big Toe, Nowhere. So I'll live with the very slight vibration, as it only happens infrequently and at certain power settings.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

That is a very good Idea and habit to get into.
    Sounds like the same mileage that the rear OEM Kenda Tire needs changing, with cord showing in the center. So, Oil and Filter, Dampener and rear tire every 10,000 miles should become “ normal” Service.
    007James