Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Dang, last week they were a must have item. ;-)
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    This was obviously a challenge to my wrenching speed. My Rebuttal is,...don’t judge with out ..........
    1) hopefully living until your almost 78 , and trying to remove all of the Panels, and Tupperware from an RT Limited to get to the Dampener.
    2) searching for the correct Torx drivers to match the various Tupperware screws, after searching for the Tool Kit that has been misplaced. Then, struggling to pull out the two that presses in to the rubber mounts with out cracking the Tupperware. Not a small challenge , unless you have done it regularly. Then, trying to figure out how to take out the plastic compression lock fasteners with out breaking one, because you don’t have replacement spares as Dealers have on hand,....” some times.”
    3) but before any of that is started, taking off the mirror with out breaking the top plastic mount, or breaking the clips on the bottom two mounts is also very difficult for even Dealer Techs, let alone a Do It Yourself Novice working in a dark limited space in an apartment garage with no Tools other than the Spyder Tool Kit,....AFTER locating it.
    4) then, assuming all has gone well in disassembly, and the Dampener has been successfully removed,
    5) “ Some One”..... has to put all that stuff back together, hopefully remembering which part has to go back on first, before the other stuff that goes on top of it lines up!! ( and that usually requires multiple removals!) , hoping none of the screws and fasteners were not either lost, or mixed up with different panels. ( Murphy’s Law)
    6) Then, getting the Demon Mirror back on, .....is surely impossible with out at least 15 minutes of contemplation, Prayer, Begging,....and finally CURSING, ....before ordering a set of Magic Mirror Magnets in anticipation of surely needing to remove Tupperware Panels again, in some near future.
    7) heck, I think my estimate of two hours for that Job was at least two hours less than ANY Neophyte could do it, even after spending a half hour watching Doc’s Installation Videos!!

007James
    Well, the more you do it the easier it will get and you'll be a lot faster. PS Don't let the mirrors get you!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-30-2019 at 10:34 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Dang, last week they were a must have item. ;-)
    See how fast things change
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post
    These tensioner failures causing belt destruction has me very concerned! I was going to install my brand new RR VIBRATION DAMPER Kit # 3 (FOR ALL RT'S) - UVBD3.1 this winter but now I do not want to install on my RT for fear of problems.
    I paid $165.00 for this kit and will sell it to the first $150.00 offered.
    I am doing more research before installing any belt tensioner on my Spyder. I do not want to create major maintenance failures by trying to improve my ride.
    Just back off on the belt tension a little from sec, turn up the radio and ride the darn thing!!! Or put it on , and check the wheel every now and then when you check your oil, or tire pressure! Then if it starts to go you will know it before it becomes a problem!!!! My RT has a small vibration, but you know I tell myself I could be riding a HD trike and it could be a LOT worse!!! Ride more worry less!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Well with all this talk about the belt harmonic vibration dampeners failing-------- I had to go and check mine. It's in perfect shape, Roadster Renovations BTW. Rolls smoothly with NO play and original tension on the belt. It's a mod I'm glad I've done but---- also glad I checked. Now I'll check at least once a year. While down there I checked the rear tire pressure------ it had slipped to 16.5 psi with this temp drop ( 15*F outside) last night. A 30* change in a month ( average night temps) and it will cause a drop in tire pressure. It's back to 20 Psi now ( A General Alitmax).

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I discovered I had the BRP Belt Tensioner inadvertently on my girlfriends and my 2018 F3-T after installing the wiring for our heated gear connection under the passenger seat. Our Spyders were purchased from different dealers and we didn’t ask them to install the Tensioner, so apparently it came installed from the factory.

I immediately ordered two roller upgrades from Lamont. The quality of the roller he sells verses BRP is like night and day. The BRP roller feels like plastic with one little bearing and this one is rubber with double bearings.

The larger roller is from Lamont.
    BRP Tension Roller compared to Lamont's.jpg
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

There sure is quite a difference in the inside diameter measurement of the bearing of both rollers you pictured. How is that going to work out?

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    There sure is quite a difference in the inside diameter measurement of the bearing of both rollers you pictured. How is that going to work out?
    Lamont includes a bushing with the roller, you can see more pictures and a video on his store site, http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...ley-lamonster/
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I was noticed the damage on the belt while hooking up my trailer after SITH. Felt under the side and the roller was gone. What was left dug into my belt. I'm having second thoughts about even having a belt tentioner.
    Big shout-out to AY4B for bringing this to our attention. Checked my RR tensioner and found roller detached from one bearing and coming apart on one side. Would soon have caused belt damage for sure. Removed it yesterday and will throw it away - not worth the worry of a roller on my belt. 18 months old and about 12,000 miles. Money wasted. Everyone should check these carefully and often. Thanks again to AY4B.

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krazykat View Post
    Big shout-out to AY4B for bringing this to our attention. Checked my RR tensioner and found roller detached from one bearing and coming apart on one side. Would soon have caused belt damage for sure. Removed it yesterday and will throw it away - not worth the worry of a roller on my belt. 18 months old and about 12,000 miles. Money wasted. Everyone should check these carefully and often. Thanks again to AY4B.
    12,000 miles?!! That is only half of what Doc said the warranty was. Glad you caught it. If anyone continues to use their RR tentioner the roller needs to be replaced with every oil change IMHO. Thats probably true with any brand.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

12,000 miles?!! That is only half of what Doc said the warranty was. Glad you caught it. If anyone continues to use their RR tentioner the roller needs to be replaced with every oil change IMHO. Thats probably true with any brand.
    I would not even trust it for the 9,300 miles between oil changes!!

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Spyder Garage

To be fair, all experiences ”should” be shared, in order to choose who’s Dampener to install and use, if any. As I recently posted on this thread, after seeing the photo of the damaged Belt, by a failed RR Roller, I removed my RR Dampener from my RT Limited. As I posted, the Roller still rolled, but not with out binding, and the Spring felt much weaker, i.e. much less tension than when I first installed it after the first one broke. But what I failed to share was how many miles the RR Dampener had been installed on my RTL. I first installed it at 1500 miles, and the spring lasted about 1000 miles before breaking. I installed the new replacement Spring at around 2500 miles, and just removed the entire Dampener at around 38,000 miles. So, the RR Dampener “ should” last 25,000 miles, but I would not vouch for its usefulness , if any, after the first 5000 or so, after installation. As I said, I never ever got rid of my Belt Chatter, with, or with out the Dampener. But another thing I want to report is, since removing the Dampener, the high pitched Whine I always heard from the front left Sprocket area has almost disappeared, so I now believe that Whine always was created by the spinning of the small Roller Bearing of the Dampener, and not from the Sprocket Splines. Caveat Emptor!
    007James
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I have never understood the need to apply pressure to the idler pulley. I set mine to barely clear the belt when not on bike.
    I have close to 20 thousand miles on my BRP idler and have no complaints - so far.
    I have modified some parts but still use the single bearing roller.
    To me it is amazing how something can be "better than sliced bread' today and when someone reports a problem with one , people come
    out of the woodwork with negative responses.
    We all have problems with our bikes - some worse than others.
    Please don't stop reporting problems - everyone benefits by learning from them.
    My 2 cents worth,
    Tip

Spyder Garage

I have the updated brp damper (stronger spring) with lamonsters roller. 11k miles on my 18 F3L. Still going strong. All I know is without it my belt vibs bad around low 70 mph. With it only a very little vibe on decel only for a second over 70 mph. My belt is at lowest tension spec. I keep an eye on it regularly. So will continue to use it. If the roller gets loose I will buy another. Nothing last forever.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I’m getting a strong vibration at 77 mph (2019 F3L) which isn’t a huge issue under normal riding conditions. However, there are on rare occasions when I want to reach this speed on the highway.

Pretty sure it is a belt vibration and the dealer seems to agree but I’m going to take it in for them to take a quick look anyway. The bike is still under warranty so I guess now is the time. If it is in fact determined to need a belt dampener is it reasonable to expect this to be covered under the warranty? For some reason I suspect not.

Even if a belt dampener is needed I may hold off for awhile given some of the issues mentioned on this site concerning the belt dampeners.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    I’m getting a strong vibration at 77 mph (2019 F3L) which isn’t a huge issue under normal riding conditions. However, there are on rare occasions when I want to reach this speed on the highway.

Pretty sure it is a belt vibration and the dealer seems to agree but I’m going to take it in for them to take a quick look anyway. The bike is still under warranty so I guess now is the time. If it is in fact determined to need a belt dampener is it reasonable to expect this to be covered under the warranty? For some reason I suspect not.

Even if a belt dampener is needed I may hold off for awhile given some of the issues mentioned on this site concerning the belt dampeners.
    Look at purchasing one of these and I doubt you'll have any problems...

https://www.smoothspyder.com/belt-tensioners/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    .... Ride more worry less!!!
    I'm with Mikey. My 2014 RTL did not come with a damper; and "I don't need no stinking damper" as Alfonso Bedroia said a long time ago. No vibrations at any speed.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-03-2020 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I lowered the drive belt tension below what BRP has posted for it .... I don't have noticeable vibes ..... I don't have a belt tensioner either ... annnnnnnnnd I don't worry that the roller can Fail and ruin a $350.00 belt ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Follow-up. I did meet with my mechanic and he did take the bike for a test drive. He agreed that the vibration was from the belt and that a belt tensioner would be of some help.

Knowing that the belt is likely the issue and not any other major cause I think I can live with this for now. So far I have only needed the 77-80 mph speed on the interstate passing in the fast lane. This does not happen very often. I may rethink this issue if I plan an extended trip requiring a lot of interstate travel.

Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Follow-up. I did meet with my mechanic and he did take the bike for a test drive. He agreed that the vibration was from the belt and that a belt tensioner would be of some help.

Knowing that the belt is likely the issue and not any other major cause I think I can live with this for now. So far I have only needed the 77-80 mph speed on the interstate passing in the fast lane. This does not happen very often. I may rethink this issue if I plan an extended trip requiring a lot of interstate travel.

Poasttown
    If you find that you have to go to the dark side and put one on, just make it a habit to check the bearings in the wheel when you check your oil, or make it one of your check points before a ride! If you give it a spin and it feels dry, well then you know there troubles ahead, and do some thing about it before you smoke a belt!! Myself, I like to keep it simple know and live with some things!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl