Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt tensioner Roller failed, ruined my belt.

I was noticed the damage on the belt while hooking up my trailer after SITH. Felt under the side and the roller was gone. What was left dug into my belt. I'm having second thoughts about even having a belt tentioner.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-27-2019 at 10:57 PM. Reason: tentioner
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I already replaced the belt myself. The job was not nearly as hard as I was told by a dealer. No need to remove the wheel.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Factory Belt tensioner or aftermarket, and if aftermarket which?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Factory Belt tensioner or aftermarket, and if aftermarket which?
    ………...Please share, it could be very important to other members here ….. not me tho, years ago I just decided lowering the belt tension considerably below spec was good enough for me …... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ………...Please share, it could be very important to other members here ….. not me tho, years ago I just decided lowering the belt tension considerably below spec was good enough for me …... Mike
    I'm with BLUEKNIGHT911 on this. I had a good vibration dampener from a reputable source, but chose to lower my tension and live with the very small amount of vibration that only happens occasionally for this very reason. If I recall correctly, Spyderanne01 had exactly this kind of roller failure, which led me to the removal of mine. It sure killed all the vibrations, but the risk to that very expensive belt is also ever present.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I was noticed the damage on the belt while hooking up my trailer after SITH. Felt under the side and the roller was gone. What was left dug into my belt. I'm having second thoughts about even having a belt tentioner.
    I have removed the vibration dampers from both our RT & F3-S. Originally I had the front & rear sprockets [pulleys] belt clearance on both machines absolutely perfect & almost no vibration. I decided to fit the dampers to try & eliminate the little vibs I had. I've spent untold hours moving the dampers on both bikes so that the rollers were precisely at right angles to the belt with the same over hang of the roller either side of the belt. I then ride it for a good distance & the last 200mts dead straight before I stop. Check the belt, & find the belt tight up against the rear sprocket flange, & tight up against the outer or inner flange on the front sprocket. I kid you not, the clearance was adjusted & checked at least 50-60 times. I don't give up easily & persisted TILL IT ALMOST DID MY HEAD IN.
    I finally came to my senses & removed both dampers. I've found once these belts have been run out of alignment for some distance, they are very difficult to get back into line. After a lot of belt alignment procedures on both bikes, I finally have the belt clearances back to normal, with little vibration.
    The dampers I purchased were NOT BRP.

Spyder Garage

How long and how many miles before this failure? Thanks
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

But whose were they, inquiring minds need to know. It is a nothing burger if the source isn’t identified.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to read this and see the photo. Ideally you decide on what is best and have no further concerns.

Spyder Garage

Did you hear any warning noise?
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyjj View Post
    But whose were they, inquiring minds need to know. It is a nothing burger if the source isn’t identified.
    The picture shows it wasn't OEM, as it has a metal arm. There are several out there constructed like this. I made my mind to delete due to a situation like Treva above, but on top of it all I kept smelling burning rubber (the dampener was aligned properly with no damage to the belt), which went away when I pulled the dampener. Not speaking against dampeners, they are in my "Best Improvement for a Buck" category, but in my mind I figured why risk it?
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

It is a RR Damper Purchased in January of 2018 with 20,000 miles on it. It was one of the first things I bought for my new F3L. I did not hear any noise but my Spyder has a loud RLS exaust and I am an aggressive ryder that is hard of hearing. Doc is sending me another roller because it is still within the 2 year warranty. Also I was offered a Spider extras Damper at half price which I will get. I asked Doc what is the life of his roller supposed to be, hes said 25,000. I would recommend having it changed at 10,000-15,000 IMO.It looked like the barring froze up which caused the failure. I guess it can be taken apart and lubed but replacing it would be better or go without one. I did also have my front sprocket replace the first of this year due to red dust.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

My dealer did give me a 10% discount on the new belt. All you need to remove to replace it is the 2 side panels and the side bracket that holds the rear passenger floorboard. I removed the lower shock bolt to loosen the belt when it is jacked up a little.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Looking back I had something happen that caused a bad vibration after Lamonsters Pie Run at Spyders in the Ozarks. I have felt minor vibration since and was wondering where it was coming from. I also noticed my missing belt guard is broken, probably from the pieces flying off the damper. I need to go back in to remove whats left.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

When that happened I also lost my DPS for a while. Dont ask me why, It started to work again after ryding around the hotel parking lot. Harvey Clark was sitting on his spyder and we were trying to figure out what just happened.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

All you need to remove to replace it is the 2 side panels and the side bracket that holds the rear passenger floorboard. I removed the lower shock bolt to loosen the belt when it is jacked up a little.
    Good information When you removed the left rear footrest support bracket and jacked the rear end up to remove the lower shock bolt was there any misalignment of the bolt holes getting it reassembled?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    Good information When you removed the left rear footrest support bracket and jacked the ��rear end up to remove the lower shock bolt was there any misalignment of the bolt holes getting it reassembled?
    There are 3 bolts on the inside, 2 of which are used to mount the belt damper and one on the side. The 2 frame pipes do move around some and the lower one needs a little play to get it out. Putting it back together is not hard. There's one more smaller bolt that has a nut on the back side you need to remove as well.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

The shock bolt needs to be aligned using the jack. Just play with the jack up and down to take the weight off the bolt or align it. Not hard. Once it’s out just jack it up a little more till your belt loosens up enough to slide it off. Same procedure as when you remove the wheel. You just don’t need to mess with the wheel or belt adjustment bolts.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

That roller mounting bolt looks like it's loose. Did you find it that way on inspection? If so, that's the problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by treva View Post
    That roller mounting bolt looks like it's loose. Did you find it that way on inspection? If so, that's the problem.
    Yes it was just hanging. the head off the bolt you see threw the hole.The other side has a loose spacer then a washer then the main bearing with a metal collar then the outer nut.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

The warranty was just 2 years as opposed to a Spider extras is warrantied for life.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

My opinion only, but as I see it a major issue with most of the dampeners I looked at was the small roller. If you look at an automotive style serpentine belt tensioner, you will see a much larger roller. Of course due to limited space, the small size is required to fit in there. But that little roller is going a gazzilion revs per hour. If there was a way to increase the diameter of the roller it would reduce the wear on the bearings.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

It is a RR Damper Purchased in January of 2018 with 20,000 miles on it. It was one of the first things I bought for my new F3L. I did not hear any noise but my Spyder has a loud RLS exaust and I am an aggressive ryder that is hard of hearing. Doc is sending me another roller because it is still within the 2 year warranty. Also I was offered a Spider extras Damper at half price which I will get. I asked Doc what is the life of his roller supposed to be, hes said 25,000. I would recommend having it changed at 10,000-15,000 IMO.It looked like the barring froze up which caused the failure. I guess it can be taken apart and lubed but replacing it would be better or go without one. I did also have my front sprocket replace the first of this year due to red dust.
    Did Doc offer a reimbursement for the belt? If not, he should at least offer to pay for half.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014