Thread: Sena 30K

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena 30K

I'm Looking at buying a Sena 30K Dual Mesh Intercom System. Anyone have them? Do you like them?
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

If you are using them in a pair or with a group that does not have 30k units, you would be far better off with the 20S. The 30k mesh tech ONLY works with other 30k units, 3 or more in a group. Otherwise its a 10 series unit without the noise reduction and multitasking features of the 20. For most folks the 30k is not an upgrade from the 20 series.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Here’s my review Copper but I have not done any group rides with them
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ight=LeftCoast
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    If you are using them in a pair or with a group that does not have 30k units, you would be far better off with the 20S. The 30k mesh tech ONLY works with other 30k units, 3 or more in a group. Otherwise its a 10 series unit without the noise reduction and multitasking features of the 20. For most folks the 30k is not an upgrade from the 20 series.
    What multitasking things do the 10s do the 30s don’t do. This is new info for me.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

Spyder Garage

I have SMH10 now they have to go. I was hoping the 30Ks have worked out any issues by now. The only thing I use them for is listen to my radio and intercom with the wife. No phone use, I check for messages when I stop.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 10-26-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I’ve used phone, including asking Siri for directions and have that work, paired with the Garmin 590 all with minimal issues. There are times when my phone does some weird things like turning Spotify volume all the way down when it pairs with the Sena. The item that bothered me but I don’t know if it’s been fixed was when using intercom and the gps warns of a school crossing or something it broke the intercom connection and the Senas had to be shut down and restarted.

All my rides are solo at the moment and I don’t have major complaints but I also have nothing to compare it to.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    What multitasking things do the 10s do the 30s don’t do. This is new info for me.
    Its the 20s that do audio multitasking. The 10 and 30 do not. You can listen to music and the unit will auto fade to intercom when you or the other party speaks then go back to music. Also handles GPS and Phone at the same time (4 audio streams with priority for each). The 20 also has the active noise cancellation. Works very well.

The 30 is just a 10 when not in mesh mode with 3 or more 30 series units.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    I have SMH10 now they have to go. I was hoping the 30Ks have worked out any issues by now. The only thing I use them for is listen to my radio and intercom with the wife. No phone use, I check for messages when I stop.
    Then the 20s would be a good upgrade for you. The 30 would not be an upgrade at all in your case.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Its the 20s that do audio multitasking. The 10 and 30 do not. You can listen to music and the unit will auto fade to intercom when you or the other party speaks then go back to music. Also handles GPS and Phone at the same time (4 audio streams with priority for each). The 20 also has the active noise cancellation. Works very well.

The 30 is just a 10 when not in mesh mode with 3 or more 30 series units.
    So I think this may have been resolved with a firmware upgrade a year ago
    https://youtu.be/upKmDvSK4xo
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

Spyder Garage

Then the 20s would be a good upgrade for you. The 30 would not be an upgrade at all in your case.
    Anything is an upgrade from the old SMH10 they were very good. Just time for a change.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the link. That is what I was thinking, that they must have fixed the problems they were having at first when they did not live up to what they said they could do. Looks like the software update fixed the issues I saw early last year. Thanks for your help!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I have a set of 10s and the 30!!! Like the speakers in the 10, not so much on the 30's! Thought the 30 would be a little less clunky as far as intermeshing and hooking up with riders not so much! Would I buy another set of 30's, not so much!!! 10's ya maybe!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I have a set of 10s and the 30!!! Like the speakers in the 10, not so much on the 30's! Thought the 30 would be a little less clunky as far as intermeshing and hooking up with riders not so much! Would I buy another set of 30's, not so much!!! 10's ya maybe!!
    Unless linked with 3 or more other 30K units, the 30 offers no advantages over the 10 series. The 20 is the better upgrade unless you are riding with a group that can connect in the mesh. If there is even one headset in the mix that is not a 30k, they all revert to the lowest common protocol.

Contrary to the number scheme, 30k is not the top of the line, it just has a single feature the others do not. Different, not necessarily better. And not better for most folks.

The 20s is a significant upgrade from the 10 series especially for solo use or in a pair.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

That update did nothing to add features that are not in the hardware. It just fixed bugs. Unless the 30k is linking with multiple other 30k headsets, THERE IS NO MESH to connect to. Its just a 10 series unit with a feature you are not using.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I would buy the Cardo Talk Pack Bold instead.

Spyder Garage

Unless linked with 3 or more other 30K units, the 30 offers no advantages over the 10 series. The 20 is the better upgrade unless you are riding with a group that can connect in the mesh. If there is even one headset in the mix that is not a 30k, they all revert to the lowest common protocol.

Contrary to the number scheme, 30k is not the top of the line, it just has a single feature the others do not. Different, not necessarily better. And not better for most folks.

The 20s is a significant upgrade from the 10 series especially for solo use or in a pair.
    Agree 100%, just wish I had not gone with the 30's and just got the 20's now!!! Hindsight 20;/20
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have a set for sale, PM me
    2015 RT L , Red

Spyder Garage

For the sake of discussion:

I recently purchased a set of Cardo Freecomm 4+. I have been a longstanding Sena user, having previously owned a 5, 10, and 20. My 20's were getting long in the tooth and started having some gremlins, so it was time to replace them. I looked at the new 20S model and compared it to the Cardo 4+ with the JBL speakers. I decided to go with the Cardo because of the upgraded speakers and the slimmer and more ergonomic units, and I just wanted to try something different.

Bottom line: Stick with the Sena 20S. It's a superior unit in just about all respects that I can discern. The only ways the Cardo seems to be superior is the speakers are louder than the Sena, but the sound quality is far inferior, JBL or not. Also, the ergos of the unit are better than Sena, but otherwise the Sena knocks them out of the park.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I have the Cardo Scala and love it, my buddy had the Sena 30 and didn't care for it and he has the Cardo and loves it. Best part is, Cardo is waterproof and the Sena isn't

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Guys
    I see you have a bunch of questions on and about the SENA headsets I will be more than happy to give you
    the information you need to decide if and when the com sets are for you, I am not trying to sell you anything
    just offering you information. Left Coast guy says San Francisco Bay .... where I am from the city, but I now live
    80 miles east in Linden. any of you can call me but please remember when it's 8:00AM in the east it's 5:00 AM here
    209-887-3283 my email is motorcycledave@mac.com
    Ride Safe
    Dave