Spyder Garage

Default Rumor or good info?

Had my wheel nuts replaced while I waited, so I wandered onto the show room floor. While I was there, I spoke to an employee about any possible future changes in the Ryker. He said that supposedly, they were going to install a universal joint part way down the drive shaft, which is supposed to alleviate some or all of the "clunk" when taking off from a stop. Other than that, I could find no new information on future changes. I did find out that I had purchased one of the last 2019's they had come in. BUT, they do have a couple of trade-in's already. Two of them were traded in to upgrades to the Spider.

And to back up what someone had said in an earlier thread, I was told that the first service is supposed to be at 6K miles.

Spyder Garage

I believe a natural progression would be a small turbo. These motors love boost! Fingers crossed!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
    Had my wheel nuts replaced while I waited, so I wondered onto the show room floor. While I was there, I spoke to an employee about any possible future changes in the Ryker. He said that supposedly, they were going to install a universal joint part way down the drive shaft, which is supposed to alleviate some or all of the "clunk" when taking off from a stop. Other than that, I could find no new information on future changes. I did find out that I had purchased one of the last 2019's they had come in. BUT, they do have a couple of trade-in's already. Two of them were traded in to upgrades to the Spider.

And to back up what someone had said in an earlier thread, I was told that the first service is supposed to be at 6K miles.
    IMHO a universal joint would have zero effect on the " clunk "...… my guess is " just another clueless employee " …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Ah Speculation.....

Now that the new year model has been outed it is time to start speculating mixed with a bit of wishing. I would not put any stock in what you hear at a dealership as it is mostly to get you motivated into the purchasing frame of mind.
    As Mike said...adding a universal joint on a short shaft will not help and on the contrary cause more noise as you will have more moving parts involved. Now if they tell you they will add dampeners (like the rear wheel sprocket) perhaps it would make more sense. Not likely they will do any of it as all the the klunking on all the models they have made it still there after over a decade......
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The only time I have ever been to a Can Am dealership is when I went down to Gainesville to pick mine up. I was so unimpressed by all the employees there that I would not believe anything that any one of them told me. I had done several weeks of research on the Internet before buying the Spyder. The sales people at the dealership did not seem to know much about what they were selling or about motorcycles in general. I was so unimpressed that I decided to never bring it back there unless it was some major recall item or a major repair that was covered by the warranty........... in which case I would be checking behind them.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO a universal joint would have zero effect on the " clunk "...… my guess is " just another clueless employee " …. Mike
    My thoughts exactly. When I read that statement I thought, 'How in the world would a universal joint anywhere on the drive line reduce the clunk? Unless, the current universal joints have some inherent slop issue. But it is my understanding that the clunk originates from the CV clutching system. Not in the drive-line.

I don't want to write the statement off completely. Though it would probably be the wiser choice. But there would have to be a better explanation for that comment to mean anything.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-26-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I haven't heard anything about 2021 and beyond models. Other than a couple new color panels, some new options, and deleted options--the 2020 model seems to be exactly the same as the 2019s. I love my Ryker--but I have to admit when I took it in for the bolt replacement and sat on some Spyders (2019s that were $5,000+ off)--I thought about trading up. I won't for at least a couple of years, though.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Azbronco View Post
    I haven't heard anything about 2021 and beyond models. Other than a couple new color panels, some new options, and deleted options--the 2020 model seems to be exactly the same as the 2019s. I love my Ryker--but I have to admit when I took it in for the bolt replacement and sat on some Spyders (2019s that were $5,000+ off)--I thought about trading up. I won't for at least a couple of years, though.
    From the pics I have seen for the 2020 Rt's they changed a lot of the Tupperware, also the seat is different. I like the look but since some engineer RUINED a good radio …. I won't buy one …. jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I would not wait to change your first oil change until 6k. There was a bulletin sent out from BRP that they now recommend the first at 3k. Me personally I would not go past 1k and then from there you can wait until every 6k. You want to get the break-in oil out no later than 1k.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

As for future changes to the Ryker, I would love to see a turbo version. One can never have too much umpf!
    But I see how it may be tricky, adding product cost would close the price gap towards the spyders. Personally I'd pay spyder price, for a Ryker with 150 horsepower though

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    I would not wait to change your first oil change until 6k. There was a bulletin sent out from BRP that they now recommend the first at 3k. Me personally I would not go past 1k and then from there you can wait until every 6k. You want to get the break-in oil out no later than 1k.
    I changed the break in oil at 3,000, but it only took me about 3 months to put 3,000 miles on it, so it couldn't have done much harm.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very true about the sales people, but check out all the 'stuff' on a show room floor, totally unreal. Do not think these sales people specialize, maybe I'm wrong. I was talking to a floor sales manager he knew less than I did, nice guy, but still.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Pretty sure the "Clunk" is the clutch engaging...much like a snowmobile does when it reaches the proper rpm. I/m thinkin' a U joint would add potential for a true clunk elsewhere than the clutch
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Agreed on the sales staff but this dealers service manager Eric is absolutely fantastic. I’ve used him 3 times and 100% satisfied. Theirs 2 options closer to me in JAX but he’s worth the trip. I’ve purchased 3 Spyders (Orlando, Jax and Marietta, Ga) and none of them I would go back to. It’s embarrassing how bad the sales staff are at dealers who sell Spyders. Most of them prefer to sell motorcycles or jet skis. I’m holding out hoping in 2021 BRP upgrades the motor. The only thing that sux more then sales staff is the resale value on Spyders. It’s bad, trust me I’ve sold 3...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where is 'Eric' located?

Spyder Garage

nowadays it seems most salesman at bike shops don't even ride.probably car guys just moveing around.it is rare to find a bike person that's knowledgable on anything.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by michaelfrmtx View Post
    nowadays it seems most salesman at bike shops don't even ride.probably car guys just moveing around.it is rare to find a bike person that's knowledgable on anything.
    Sad, but unfortunately, true. I wish they would just say they don't know instead of making things up as they go. Most times, the customer knows more about the machine than do the dealership employees. They are good at taking your money and up-selling you though.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Azbronco View Post
    That's great news, whenever you choose to upgrade. That's all part of the program to bring new new people and new riders into the marque. Welcome to the Spyder World

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    Exactly. Get the break in oil out at 1K or less to remove any of the break in sediments.

As to the comments about sales personnel, I have two observations.
    First, a lot of these people are selling other merchandise, like lawnmowers and chain saws. Often times they are not well versed in the on -road vehicles. This is also a big part of BRPs service issues, since most of their line has been, as their name implies, recreational vehicles. The quality of service for a Ski-Doo has to be equal to a road vehicle, but the implied urgency of repair is far less.
    Second, even when the sales staff is very well versed in the existing line, sometimes new, complicated changes are difficult to absorb. This BRP Connect thing specifically comes to mind. As long as the techs in the back have a good handle on things, I'd be satisfied.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong, and if I am, I'm sure people on this forum would just LOVE to point it out.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Not a Ryker owner...shame on me.

But a couple observations anyway...at no extra charge.

From a marketing standpoint, the Ryker seems to be a good move for BRP. They got a lot of new customers and from a different demographic this go around. There are also several Spyder owners that added a Ryker to their ride stable, for various reasons.

The Ryker is also a good entry level platform, and now there has been mention of upgrades to the Spyders. Looks like a win/win on this situation.

Comments about salesman...I dealt with a reputable dealer in AK. Team CC. When there were two dealers, I could not say that about the competition. CC had the most knowledgeable salespersons of the two. The owner was pretty good at all knowledge but it did not translate to the staff. I was actually one of their best Spyder customers. I bought five from them. I also bought five Kawasaki motorcycles from them. I had more knowledge than all of them on basic Spyder information. Thanks to hanging around here since 2010. I always had a good rapport with that dealer, but had issues with their service depts. in the last couple years I was there. Then, they abruptly dropped the line. There is now NO Spyder dealer in AK. They said they would do service...but I would not be making any trips there unless I knew that was still in effect. Whitehorse YT and Seattle WA would be the closest service.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Where is 'Eric' located?
    Yes - please kindly advise which dealer Eric is at.

Spyder Garage

I would prefer to get a set of new gears for the shaft-drive - for lower RPMs on touring speeds (it was possible to change that on my old BMWs 1000)
    a new longer max-mount for a Topcse and new shocks to bring her up for 1-2 inch on the front ..
    but the first what I would change are the tires ..crazy, that there is still no other brands for the front..

I`m happy after more than 10.000 miles without problems, next is to change the swa-ybar to the one from BajaRon .. these are the Ryker shortcut - roads here in Austria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUoU...mlBOnN1rjss2IU
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

I always enjoy your videos, Chris.....

Spyder Garage

Never understood the hullabaloo concerning drive shaft noise. It's the nature of the beast, get over it. I ride my Rally on my farm daily, lots of slow riding w/turns. That driveshaft clunks away, especially on/off the throttle at a walking pace. It's all good. Smile more, gripe less😄
    2020 Rally , Black