Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Do People Think Our Spyders Are Scooters Or Something?!?!

Sorry Team... Just here to vent! Lol

1. Do you have people thinking or wondering are you riding a trike moped/scooter or something!?!

Answer: I do! I had 2 people this week ask me "Man, what is that thing?" or "Is that a scooter or motorcycle?" I mean, is people still clueless to what Spyders are nowadays??

2. How many people have asked you "How fast does that thing go??" My curiosity is do we all look slow on the road or something!?!? Does it look like we're going in slow motion?? I'm guilty to say that sometimes, I hit the throttle and go into "hooligan mode" just to show the ones whose looking that we have speed too! Lol

3. We attract a lot of attention on the roads, but kids wave the most I've ever seen! I don't know what goes through their little minds, but I wonder does it look like we're riding Power Wheels or Reverse Big Wheels to them!??

I pulled up at the gas station yesterday and a Harley rider walked passed me and asked "Are you riding a street snowmobile?"
    Like he didn't know what the heck it was. My first mind reaction was that I wanted to Ric Flair chop him in the throat, but I kindly said "I noticed your Harley over there too... Is it leaking??" and walked off!! I'm sure that I pissed him off! LOL
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-26-2019 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Fixed title display...

Spyder Garage

Good job!!!! I get more positive feed back than negative! It's fun to have people come up and ask questions about the ride and handling of the Spyder. I have not run into any Bad Ass Harley riders yet!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

There's a kids movie out called something like 'Cody the Robo-Sapien', & first thing my Grand-kids screamed when they saw my Spyder was "IT's CODYYY!!"

They made me watch the movie to see that it IS true, my RT Ltd looks very much like Cody!! So maybe that's why all the kids wave so much?!

But really, who cares? I reckon I'm having just as much fun as all the kids!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Never had anyone ask me any of those questions but everyone wants to know how I like it.Many of them ask bc they've been thinking of getting one.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    There's a kids movie out called something like 'Cody the Robo-Sapien', & first thing my Grand-kids screamed when they saw my Spyder was "IT's CODYYY!!"

They made me watch the movie to see that it IS true, my RT Ltd looks very much like Cody!! So maybe that's why all the kids wave so much?!

But really, who cares? I reckon I'm having just as much fun as all the kids!

Spyder Garage

That's funny! In my disabled state I tell people I had to give up motorcycles and get a mobility scooter. I then expound on how I looked at the Golden® and Hoveround®, but didn't like the performance. Then I show them my blue 2018 RTL picture with me standing by it with a cane, you should see the look on some of their faces. Scooter indeed!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

When they ask me about the speed, I just point to the 200 on the speedometer. In the States, people assume miles per hour. I don't volunteer any other information. They just walk away shaking their heads.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I can honestly say in my five years of Spyder ownership I've never had a Harley owner make any kind of snide remark about it. I guess too that with my helmet off I look like any other old fart and quite frequently am approached by women who ask very pointed questions about the bike; some frequently mentioning that they or their SO rode some kind of bike. That's when I tell them that at my age I didn't want to wrestle a 900 pound machine anymore and that I like not having to worry about dropping it at stoplights.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

We ride through Amish country a lot. The kids always wave and smile enthusiastically. We wave back and then the adults wave.

Spyder Garage

I only got positive feedback - even from motorcyclists. I'm happy about anyone who shows interest in my Spyder and asks questions. Especially children are enthusiastic about the trike and I like to let them sit on my F3 and take a picture.

Spyder Garage

I have only had positive comments, even from the H-D crowd. Ladies of all ages come up and swoon over my F3L. One time, I came out of a store and a couple was taking photos of each other standing by the bike. I paused until they were through. Nice.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrain047 View Post
    Sorry Team... Just here to vent! Lol

1. Do you have people thinking or wondering are you riding a trike moped/scooter or something!?! In 2008/09 we ran into lots of those questions. No so much any more.

Answer: I do! I had 2 people this week ask me "Man, what is that thing?" or "Is that a scooter or motorcycle?" I mean, is people still clueless to what Spyders are nowadays??

2. How many people have asked you "How fast does that thing go??" My curiosity is do we all look slow on the road or something!?!? Does it look like we're going in slow motion?? I'm guilty to say that sometimes, I hit the throttle and go into "hooligan mode" just to show the ones whose looking that we have speed too! Lol I love to have fun with this one. I just point to the 200 mph speedo and say nothing. Its my secret that applies to KMPH

3. We attract a lot of attention on the roads, but kids wave the most I've ever seen! I don't know what goes through their little minds, but I wonder does it look like we're riding Power Wheels or Reverse Big Wheels to them!?? Yup!

I pulled up at the gas station yesterday and a Harley rider walked passed me and asked "Are you riding a street snowmobile?" I had that same question in 08, and from a HD rider. The 08's did look more like a snowmobile than they do now. I agreed with that one and we both had a little laugh.
    Like he didn't know what the heck it was. My first mind reaction was that I wanted to Ric Flair chop him in the throat, but I kindly said "I noticed your Harley over there too... Is it leaking??" and walked off!! I'm sure that I pissed him off! LOL

It is obvious that those types of questions come from those that do not have a clue. Back in 2008, you should have seen the reviews from the national motorcycle mags...they were a joke.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

AR they were a joke and it seemed to me that they tried to stem the tide. Glad that has seemed to pass. As far as the children are concerned I hope they have the same dreams of adventure I had when I was their age and followed every motorcycle I saw until it was out of sight, at least according to my Mom. I love questions about my Spyder, that shows they are interested. As far as what is it goes, well some states are still trying to decide that themselves. I love to tell people about how much fun it is and always ask them where theirs is. It is amazing the different answers I get. "oh I could never ride one of those," Ans sure you could, "I'm too old" Ans not yet you are still above ground, "I used to ride years ago but had to quit", Ans maybe this would get you going again" I've been looking at those but they are so expensive" Ans find a good used one, I did. And on and on. Spyders are so much fun I love to try and get other people as interested in them as we are. I sometimes think back to before my accident and am grateful for it because other wise I may never have become a Spyder rider.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I to get many questions but ----- How fast is it ??? is most common. And like others, I just point to the speedo. Questions lead to conversation about the features and the questioners are very surprised about all the features.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default And there you have it.....

Where the saying "Miles of smiles" comes from.... It is not only your uncontroled smile but for all those good of bad they all at some point have to smile....I think I have had all the questions but here lately I have had several " are they really safer than the two wheelers..?" To which I tell them.." it is really hard to fall over on them" and we all smile followed "but you can fall off them...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I'm sitting by the river boat launch watching jet skies on my Ryker AND these two Long Choppers pull in right next to me and the 2 couples immediately ALL start smoking cigarettes and I didn,t really look over at them and they didn't really say anything to me so I guess I won because I left after a couple minutes???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I had somebody that has known me for years and knew I had been riding a 1200 Harley for the last couple of decades ask why I was riding the scooter. He was a Harley rider, but he was just curious. Told him I just bought it and I was giving my Harley to my son. Then he asked what engine it had in it. He was really surprised. He thought they had about a 250 cc in them. We don't see many Spyders in this area and nobody seems to know anything about them. I get a lot of questions from people that are just curious about what it is or how it handles being a backward trike. They always seem surprised at the size of the engine and that it would handle better than a trike with single front wheel. Many of them know me and know that I rode a triked out Harley Sportster for almost 20 years. They seem the most surprised that a reverse trike handles better than the old Harley trike.

Yeah it looks real bad ass and it sounds real bad ass, but it built from an old 2001 hardmount Sportster frame and with the high compression engine it vibrates so bad you can't feel your arms after about 2 hours on it. It rides rough too. None of that bothered me when I was younger, but now I want to ride something that don't beat me to death riding it 500 miles.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

A guy in the local coffee shop asked me the size of the engine and when I told him 1000cc he almost fell over! Then it was - how quick 0-100 kph etc etc
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do my best to avoid being cynical toward the endless question, "how do you like it?" I get that multiple times a day! As spyder owners we don't want to share the reputation of the "chopper crowd." Remember, "you meet the nicest people on a Honda," and what it did for that brand. Kids are the best. I love the kids and I always wave back at them, even at 65 mph. It puts a smile on everyone's face.

Spyder Garage

“How fast does it go?”the most asked question, “front wheel drive?” Couple times & worst:“ is that the car thing was coming to town?” Referring to. Elieo that was gonna takeover old GM plant in Shreveport next door. lots of waves & even few kids shouting
    “DO A WHEELIE!”

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I usually get looks from most, a few will ask how it handles compared to a bike. In my short time of owning a spyder had one person pull up to me at a light and asked if it was a snowmobile, I looked at him and asked him if he was semi retarted, do you see any snow on the ground.

Spyder Garage

I've gotten a lot of comments ranging from "nice tricycle", to "that looks real comfortable", to "my son thinks that's the coolest thing he ever saw"

I always smile politely and say thanks.
    2016 RTL "Boris"

Foam Grips
    Utopia Backrest
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Bajaron sway bar
    LED Bumpskid w/remote
    Belt guard
    BRT rear lighting w/strobe
    High mount BRT w/strobe
    Dual a-arm LEDs w/turn signals
    Multicolor underground Halo lighting
    LED headlights and foglights
    FOBO TPMS
    Techgripper phone holder
    Lidlox
    Dual USB with voltmeter
    Dakota Digital Compass/Clock/Altimeter/Temperature Gauge
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55R15 - Fronts
    General Altimax RT43 215/60R15 - Rear

Spyder Garage

The only negative comments I've had were from my brother who is a HD diehard.....and he'd make fun of me for putting my socks on before my pants so that shows how much it bothers me

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

The comment I seem to get most often from other women is, "Now, I could ride that!" I always agree, that, yes, they certainly could. But I get a fair number of questions from (primarily older) 2-wheel riders, particularly men. I get the feeling that they are comfortable asking an older (64) year old woman (riding alone) about making the switch to three wheels, and how a Spyder compares.

Then there are the other regular questions: how fast, how much, and do you like it?
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

Who cares what others think? Be you and ride on.......