Thread: on the ropes

Spyder Garage

Default on the ropes

Thinking of trading my 13 RS for 18 F3L. They're giving me decent trade in price.

The problem i'm having is my RS has been bulletproof for 22000 + miles. I don't know if i will get that with the newer technology with the F3L.
    Any reassuring thoughts or knowledge might help me one way or another.

TIA

Spyder Garage

with 1330 engine, no more valve checks, no more using oil, pick up extra gear,,,,,,,decent trade. go for it
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are good with electronic dash and good with your cell phone, then there is no comparing the RS to the F3L. The F3L wins hands down. you will have a warrantee go for it if you can.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I bought a new 2019 F3-S the end of April this year and already put almost 6,000 miles on it. Have not had a bit of trouble with anything. Fast, runs good, no problems with idiot lights coming on or any weird noises. Go for it.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Go for it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The 1330 motor will easily go 100k. No worries!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

If you can learn the new dash you will be good. & warranty, & most everyone likes something “NEW” not to mention the better MPG for all the new places you should go try & visit

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    The 1330 motor will easily go 100k. No worries!
    Proper maintenance it can go 200k. I believe this with any motor out there, key is taking care of it and it will take care of you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Thinking of trading my 13 RS for 18 F3L. They're giving me decent trade in price.

The problem i'm having is my RS has been bulletproof for 22000 + miles. I don't know if i will get that with the newer technology with the F3L.
    Any reassuring thoughts or knowledge might help me one way or another.

TIA

That's a problem? I'm sticking with my GS/RS SM5 for reliability. I've never read of so much unreliability with new machines as I have on this forum - even worse than Triumph.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    If you are good with electronic dash and good with your cell phone, then there is no comparing the RS to the F3L. The F3L wins hands down. you will have a warrantee go for it if you can.
    Ok what's the deal with the dash??

Spyder Garage

WoodAddict:

Wow, that's a huge signature photo.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    That's a problem? I'm sticking with my GS/RS SM5 for reliability. I've never read of so much unreliability with new machines as I have on this forum - even worse than Triumph.
    The thing is most people post problems on a forums. That is what it is for to help people. A very small percentage of spyder owners or any bike use forums. Probably less than 5%. I was riding with my spyder group of over 50 bikes and only a few guys heard of this forum and most didn't know there were forums. My F3L runs great. Go for it.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

People tend to let others know when their's a problem, but very few tend to speak out when everything is going great...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

More usable top trunk. Easier to service - twist a knob and there's the dipstick and brake reservoir. No panels to remove to change oil. Movable floorboards. 1330 is a torque monster.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    People tend to let others know when their's a problem, but very few tend to speak out when everything is going great...
    That's precisely the point - more reports of problems with Spyders than anything else I see (though I know nothing of HD).
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    That's precisely the point - more reports of problems with Spyders than anything else I see (though I know nothing of HD).
    I ride with a lot of H-D people and they are often no shows for rides, saying their bike is in the shop. Many have newer ones because they got tired of the frequent repair trips to the shop. You would think.....nah, I'll leave it there.
    I also know some H-D people who say they never had problems.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I ride with a lot of H-D people and they are often no shows for rides, saying their bike is in the shop. Many have newer ones because they got tired of the frequent repair trips to the shop. You would think.....nah, I'll leave it there.
    I also know some H-D people who say they never had problems.
    Speaking of H-D's, Last week I was out for a ride on the Road King, and ran over something (I didn't see) in the road that flipped up and bent a frame cross member under the engine and punched a hole in the oil sump pan. Luckily I was able to pull over and get it stopped before much of the oil drained out. I had it towed 75 miles to the nearest Harley dealer and they tell me it will be about 8 weeks before they can get a new frame from H-D. Can't blame H-D for the damage, but apparently BRP isn't the only company that lets you wait for parts.

Spyder Garage

Insyder,,,,That is a very unfortunate way to discover about the wait for parts, but I'm glad you are OK. That could have ended badly. To play devil's advocate; as an ex retailer, no business can afford to keep slow moving merchandise on the shelf collecting dust. That's dollars just sitting. But you'd think the motor company could get something out in far less than eight weeks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Insyder View Post
    Speaking of H-D's, Last week I was out for a ride on the Road King, and ran over something (I didn't see) in the road that flipped up and bent a frame cross member under the engine and punched a hole in the oil sump pan. Luckily I was able to pull over and get it stopped before much of the oil drained out. I had it towed 75 miles to the nearest Harley dealer and they tell me it will be about 8 weeks before they can get a new frame from H-D. Can't blame H-D for the damage, but apparently BRP isn't the only company that lets you wait for parts.
    Just FYI, ordering a new frame from the manufacturer is a huge deal no matter what the company. Honestly, 8 weeks is not bad. If it were an import bike, the wait would be much worse if you could even get one.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

GO for it! I sold my 2012 RT Limited for a 2015 F3-S and now I have over 50,000 miles on it and 0 issues. The new engine is fantastic, you won't be disappointed.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I traded my 2012 RSS for a 2016 F3T, and I am very happy. Now, in my case, I was familiar with the 1330, as I had a 2014 RT along with the 2012 RSS. I think both bikes are great. I am not a fan of the new dash or smaller rear sprocket on the 2018 and up F3L. However, I don't think they are bad machines. I do miss my RSS sometimes, and will probably get another to go along with the F3T. My biggest complaint was the extra heat that it gave off.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I traded my 2012 RSS for a 2016 F3T, and I am very happy. Now, in my case, I was familiar with the 1330, as I had a 2014 RT along with the 2012 RSS. I think both bikes are great. I am not a fan of the new dash or smaller rear sprocket on the 2018 and up F3L. However, I don't think they are bad machines. I do miss my RSS sometimes, and will probably get another to go along with the F3T. My biggest complaint was the extra heat that it gave off.
    I have 13 Rs for sale 7200.00