Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 Model Considered Best Value

I’m on the hunt for either new or used Spyder. Current review of what’s out on the used market tells me that these machines are being priced similar to BMWs: Determine what the model year is and add 3 zeros on the end. For example Model year 2012 = $12,000 etc. Seems like if your going after a late model (2017 and higher) you might as well pay $2k more and get a new one (zero miles) with a warranty. That said I see there are 3 sport trims of the F3: F3, F3-S and F3-S Special Edition. You all know the suspension trim levels better than me; which would be the best value for $ spent and what’s just hype? Thanks for any advice.

Spyder Garage

Most bang for the buck is 18 or 19 F3 LTD. You are going to save some on all the added accesories. I liked the "chrome" versions.

The prices are all over the place. I looked at the website of one popular dealer and found the 18's to be a couple thousand more than the same model in the 19. I know the prices went down in 2019...but find it hard to believe that they are trying to get that premium, two model years later.

When I went in to the same dealer...I found NO prices whatever on the 15 or so F3's they had on display. They had 18's and 19's, and most levels of trim. It was kind of if you did not do some pre-shopping due dilligence...you were going to be at the mercy of the salesperson.

I spent an hour or more with the salesperson and tried to work out a deal on a 18 LTD with a trade on my 2011. We ended up being $2K different...and that was way more than I was willing to pay for a 2018. They even called the "boss" who would not go down $1 from the dealer OTD price they had quoted me.

My hunt for a newer Spyder is over until the 2020's hit the streets.

I ran into a similar situation with another popular dealer. And in both cases, I felt I was getting the "used car salesman" runaround. I have not experienced that in years.

That process turned me off from both dealerships.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-25-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Biggest swaying factor for me to the F3-S was cruise control. I use mine for touring, and having cruise control was a must. Not sure if Fox Podium front shocks and sport mode matter much to you. Sport mode allows a bit more hooliganism..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I bought a new 2019 F3 base at end of Sept for $17,700 Canadian, they wanted $22,900 for the F3 S. So for me it was an easy call, I purchased Elka shock $700, passenger 2up package for $900, route 129 windshield for $299. I do want to purchase cruise and that goes for $1100.00 Still much cheaper than the sport. Yes the sport does have an extra 10hp, but doesnt matter to me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Most bang for the buck is 18 or 19 F3 LTD. You are going to save some on all the added accesories. I liked the "chrome" versions.

The prices are all over the place. I looked at the website of one popular dealer and found the 18's to be a couple thousand more than the same model in the 19. I know the prices went down in 2019...but find it hard to believe that they are trying to get that premium, two model years later.

When I went in to the same dealer...I found NO prices whatever on the 15 or so F3's they had on display. They had 18's and 19's, and most levels of trim. It was kind of if you did not do some pre-shopping due dilligence...you were going to be at the mercy of the salesperson.

I spent an hour or more with the salesperson and tried to work out a deal on a 18 LTD with a trade on my 2011. We ended up being $2K different...and that was way more than I was willing to pay for a 2018. They even called the "boss" who would not go down $1 from the dealer OTD price they had quoted me.

My hunt for a newer Spyder is over until the 2020's hit the streets.

I ran into a similar situation with another popular dealer. And in both cases, I felt I was getting the "used car salesman" runaround. I have not experienced that in years.

That process turned me off from both dealerships.
    I agree totally- one day the dealer is quoting NADA as the Bible and the next they are telling you and trying to sell you a leftover 2018 for the same price as a 2019.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Biggest swaying factor for me to the F3-S was cruise control. I use mine for touring, and having cruise control was a must. Not sure if Fox Podium front shocks and sport mode matter much to you. Sport mode allows a bit more hooliganism..

Thanks for the great info- cruise would be a must for me as well. I think those Shad side cases hold more than the LT’s side luggage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie69 View Post
    I bought a new 2019 F3 base at end of Sept for $17,700 Canadian, they wanted $22,900 for the F3 S. So for me it was an easy call, I purchased Elka shock $700, passenger 2up package for $900, route 129 windshield for $299. I do want to purchase cruise and that goes for $1100.00 Still much cheaper than the sport. Yes the sport does have an extra 10hp, but doesnt matter to me.
    This was my thought as well- is the 2-up conversion permanent or is it a quick swap out when needed?

Spyder Garage

Between the F3-S or LTD:

1. Storage - F3-S and add Shad bags. The LTD bags are nearly useless.
    2. Comfort - Either one. Add better seats to both for a better ride.
    3. Speed - Either. MAYBE... The F3-S might have a slight faster speed. If so, not much though.
    4. Bells & Whistles (Radio, Speakers etc) - LTD
    5. Everything else is practically the same.

Tip: Have a good windshield, better front/rear shocks, better tires than stock, then you're on your way!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrain047 View Post
    Between the F3-S or LTD:

1. Storage - F3-S and add Shad bags. The LTD bags are nearly useless.
    2. Comfort - Either one. Add better seats to both for a better ride.
    3. Speed - Either. MAYBE... The F3-S might have a slight faster speed. If so, not much though.
    4. Bells & Whistles (Radio, Speakers etc) - LTD
    5. Everything else is practically the same.

Tip: Have a good windshield, better front/rear shocks, better tires than stock, then you're on your way!
    Thanks- great comparison. Thinking a F3-S may be the best value for me.

Spyder Garage

Its an easy plug in install to add cruise to a base model F3. Cost is under $300.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    This was my thought as well- is the 2-up conversion permanent or is it a quick swap out when needed?
    Basically 2up conversion is, passenger seat, foot pegs and grab rails. So if you have the mono seat cowl, just swap out passenger seat for that. Its that simple, keep the passenger pegs and grab handles on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Its an easy plug in install to add cruise to a base model F3. Cost is under $300.
    Wow, from BRP site t said 900-1100 I think. Where can I purchase this plug and play? Thanks

Spyder Garage

An F3 Sport is by far the best route to go ...and you can find some real good deals on them too since the 2020 models are coming out soon...one important thing to to consider when buying one is to look at where BRP cut corners..as in the sport model..which is the SHOCKS!!!...this is where BRP cut corners on the F-3 Sport!!! If you're going to purchase one..please put extra funding away to prepare for this....OR...talk to your dealer and see if the upgrade shocks can be added to your Spyder in a package deal which can save you money in the long run....as in shocks themselves I recommend M2 shocks..or ELKA....both front and rear.... let us know what you end up purchasing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    I agree totally- one day the dealer is quoting NADA as the Bible and the next they are telling you and trying to sell you a leftover 2018 for the same price as a 2019.
    That is exactly what happened to me at both dealerships. I like to think that I may be dumb, but I am not stupid.

And at one of the two places, the NADA trade in price was $1,000 off...in their favor.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-26-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Check out leaders rpm in Michigan, I bought my 2019 F3 limited from them. Best price I could find.
    Sold - 2021 RT Limited, Petrol Blue, trailer hitch.

Traded in - 2019 F3 Limited, Blue/Chrome: with
    Baja Ron swaybar, 19” tinted Freedom Windshield, Lamonster LED headlights, IPS Fog Light Kit, trailer hitch, Lamonster Mirror Locks, Ultimate TallBoy Seat.

Sold - 2014 Time-Out Camper

traded in - 2017 Kawasaki ZX14R
    Sold - 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DTC
    Sold - 2017 Indian Roadmaster
    Traded in - 2016 F3T

And a couple hundred other bikes over the years!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Buying a good Used Spyder

ALL Good Tips.
    Just remember that the Dealer needs to make a profit to stay in business.
    So if the prices are to High they will NOT make very many Sales.
    Do your homework before visiting a good dealership.
    Enjoy your Time and Always RYDE SAFE.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check out Imotorsports. I picked up my 2016 F3T in April of 2017. Got a great deal on the leftover. They had some 2018 F3T for under $19k. Delivery is free, and you handle the tax in your state. Only additional charge is $179 prep fee.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Wow, from BRP site t said 900-1100 I think. Where can I purchase this plug and play? Thanks
    Only need one part:

710004146 RH Switch Housing. Package-S. List price is currently 235

You can order from any dealer but some offer discounts. You are simply replacing the right hand grip switch housing. It just plugs in. Well, you do have to route the cable down but its not hard at all.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Some good deals to be had on the secondary market, especially if you're willing to travel. I have a friend who picked up a 2015 F3-S with 12k mi, two windshields, fog lights, led lights, floor boards, driver backrest, passenger backrest, 2 up shock, belt tensioner and probably a few other things I can't remember for $9250 usd. Had to drive 20hrs to get it and trailer it home, but well worth it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SmoovOpRatoR View Post
    Some good deals to be had on the secondary market, especially if you're willing to travel. I have a friend who picked up a 2015 F3-S with 12k mi, two windshields, fog lights, led lights, floor boards, driver backrest, passenger backrest, 2 up shock, belt tensioner and probably a few other things I can't remember for $9250 usd. Had to drive 20hrs to get it and trailer it home, but well worth it.
    That guy gave it away. My 2015 F3 base with 14000 miles is worth more than that.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

got my 2019 f3t for $19500
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

I love my leftover '18 F3L which I bought in February from a dealer 200 miles away to save thousands over the prices offered from two local dealers. The F3L has been a great ride and an excellent touring machine.

I tour with a trailer so if I were considering my next Spyder now I would be looking to wait for a deal on the new 2020 RT. It looks like it is made up of the best of the F3 and the RT.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

question did you have the right hand grip off to get this part on?
    2018 F3 , Black on Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Only need one part:

710004146 RH Switch Housing. Package-S. List price is currently 235

You can order from any dealer but some offer discounts. You are simply replacing the right hand grip switch housing. It just plugs in. Well, you do have to route the cable down but its not hard at all.
    Did you have to take the right hand grip off to replace this?
    2018 F3 , Black on Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by osj3 View Post
    Did you have to take the right hand grip off to replace this?
    The grip and throttle are a single assembly, the control cluster separates from it. The grip itself is not removed from the throttle assembly.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame