Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tires

Spyder Garage

What is the most commonly used replacement size for the rear tire when not OEM?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    That would be 215/60-15 ….. from all that I've read here , however using a 205/60 or 205/65 is also quite acceptable …..Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I'm running a 205/60R15 Vredestein Quatrac 5 and it is a slightly larger diameter, correcting about half of the speedometer error (down from 2MPH to 1 MPH at 70 MPH as measured by GPS), and slightly narrower, for me it allows more clearance on the missing belt guard. Very happy with this tire.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    High full,
    Its a General tire. A General Altimax. I bought mine from the Tire Rack.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Speed+Rated%29
    Yeah, sorry for that one. I just didn't look before I stuck my foot in my mouth.

Spyder Garage

General Altimax 225/60/15 is this size to big for the f3s? is anyone using it?
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    General Altimax 225/60/15 is this size to big for the f3s? is anyone using it?
    I don't think the Altimax comes in that size ……. Mike ....Correction ….it does come in that size...but in a different model.... Thank you for checking further …..

Spyder Garage

It did show it on tire rack
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

ALTIMAX RT43 (H- OR V-SPEED RATED) - SIZE: 225/60R15
    Grand Touring All-Season
    (670) |Reviews (616)Details & Pricing
    Size: 225/60R15
    Serv. Desc: 96H
    UTQG: 600 A A
    Qty:Per Tire:

$86.99
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    ALTIMAX RT43 (H- OR V-SPEED RATED) - SIZE: 225/60R15
    Grand Touring All-Season
    (670) |Reviews (616)Details & Pricing
    Size: 225/60R15
    Serv. Desc: 96H
    UTQG: 600 A A
    Qty:Per Tire:

$86.99
    Thanks for this ….. I did change my post …… However the last time I looked at the Altimax on TireRack …. they didn't list the 225/60-15 …. and for the past 6 mos. I have been recommending the Vredestein Quatrac 5 which has a little better performance numbers ….. Mike …………….A big difference between the 225/50-15 & the Altimax 225/60-15 is …… this Altimax is 1.7 inches wider in DIAMETER , imho this may cause the tread to contact the Swing Arm near the attaching bolt !!!! not a good thing

Spyder Garage

You know these tire posts are like going to a horror movie, you know your going to get jumped out of your seat, but you watch the darn thing anyway!!! Tires and oil!!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks for this ….. I did change my post …… However the last time I looked at the Altimax on TireRack …. they didn't list the 225/60-15 …. and for the past 6 mos. I have been recommending the Vredestein Quatrac 5 which has a little better performance numbers ….. Mike …………….A big difference between the 225/50-15 & the Altimax 225/60-15 is …… this Altimax is 1.7 inches wider in DIAMETER , imho this may cause the tread to contact the Swing Arm near the attaching bolt !!!! not a good thing
    Come on Mike your suppose be the one to keep us straight!! Don't let us down now!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Come on Mike your suppose be the one to keep us straight!! Don't let us down now!!
    Mikey I try - I really do, even if I get spanked occasionally for saying someone is giving Bad info ..... But I'm not going to buy a 225/60-15 tire so I can say emphatically ….it Won't / Will Fit ….. hence I said " imho this may ".... What I do know is a 225/50-15 ( OEM ) is a close fit as is the 215/60-15...…. ride safe - ride happy …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    You know these tire posts are like going to a horror movie, you know your going to get jumped out of your seat, but you watch the darn thing anyway!!! Tires and oil!!!!!
    Tires and oil!!!!! Oh My!!!!!
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-03-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just came home from tire shop putting new Quadratrac 5 165-60x15 tires on my Spyder. Wow, no one was kidding, it makes a new ride out of it. So much smoother and tracking is so much cleaner. Can't believe the difference. Running 16.5 air pressure to split the difference between those with 16 and 17. Lugs put down at exactly 80, splitting the spec sheet of 77-82.

Wife's Spyder gets the same tires tomorrow. Sadly one tire was eaten by the machine and a brand new tire has a hole in the side wall. Simple accident, tire shop will have new tire there tomorrow around lunch time. It's all good.

Can't wait for spring and get the rear tire replaced when doing the laser alignment. Just the front tires has made a huge difference.

Spyder Garage

Friends on the original tire is written for only motorcycles. And BRP does not recommend the use not the original, there's some sort of special rubber or just a trick of the manufacturer?

I apologize for my English my native language is Russian

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VLADI View Post
    Friends on the original tire is written for only motorcycles. And BRP does not recommend the use not the original, there's some sort of special rubber or just a trick of the manufacturer?

Don't worry too much about your English, it's better than that of many I know who were born into speaking it, let alone writing it!! But I hafta say, we are pretty lucky here, most can make themselves understood reasonably well!

As for that 'Special Motorcycle Use Only' printed on the sidewall of the OE Spec Kenda tires & BRP's insistence upon using them, it's a 'made up' label with 2 aims, the first (I hope!) being to warn Car Owners not to put these lightweight & (frequently) poorly constructed tires on their cars; and the second apparently being a not so subtle attempt on BRP's behalf to boost their tire sales & dealer's service/maintenance income by fooling some Spyder buyers/owners into thinking that they've got to use these 'special' tires on their Spyders!! However, the reality seems to be that the Kendas are only 'special' in how poorly they work as a tire in almost all respects and how badly some of them are constructed!!

Many of the handling and vibration issues Spyder Owners/Ryders complain about can be traced directly back to the poor quality OE Spec Kenda tires & the lack of appropriate wheel true-ing, balance, & alignment on these machines direct from the factory complemented by checking of all that by the dealers on assembly before sale! So much so, that even now, more than 10 years into their production & sales run, so there exists a VAST amount of evidence that these two problems are contributing significantly to the dis-satisfaction of many Spyder Owner/Ryders, where most other manufacturers would've done something about these issues, BRP is still insisting on ignoring all the complaints & still trying to foist these crappy tires & poor factory alignment stuff off on us!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-04-2019 at 07:29 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VLADI View Post

with Peter ...… Hi, annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd plus ….. What " only Motorcycle " actually means is ….Do NOT use this tire on any car even a smart car … because it can't bear that much weight ….. It not special rubber … it's really a weakly made tire that has a very high " defect rate " and BRP gets the tires for FREE ( to mount at the factory ) from Kenda..... I highly recommend the Q-5 ( see post #39 ) ….. but almost any auto tire in the correct size will be 10 X's better than a Kenda or Arachnid tire...….Good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Just came home from tire shop putting new Quadratrac 5 165-60x15 tires on my Spyder. Wow, no one was kidding, it makes a new ride out of it. So much smoother and tracking is so much cleaner. Can't believe the difference. Running 16.5 air pressure to split the difference between those with 16 and 17. Lugs put down at exactly 80, splitting the spec sheet of 77-82.

Wife's Spyder gets the same tires tomorrow. Sadly one tire was eaten by the machine and a brand new tire has a hole in the side wall. Simple accident, tire shop will have new tire there tomorrow around lunch time. It's all good.

Can't wait for spring and get the rear tire replaced when doing the laser alignment. Just the front tires has made a huge difference.
    Welcome to the " Q - 5 " club, ….. they sell a 205/60-15 and a 205/65-15 either one will work great on the rear …… and the psi's your using are excellent …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Was out with my new Q-5 tires today------ they are GREAT.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

We are blessed on this forum with contributor's like BLUEKNIGHT911 and PETER AAWEN who contribute the very best information to improve your Spyder experience. We upgraded to Vredstein Quatrac 5 tires with only 3500 miles on our 2016 RT getting rid of the poor quality and rough riding oem tires. The difference in performance, handling, comfort, and above all safety of your ride will be PARAMOUNT! YOU WILL NOT REGRET UPGRADING TO CAR TIRES, PERIOD!!!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much. This the that I and wanted to hear, d to change on that the good.
    We are Russians, God be with us!

Spyder Garage

I drove the wife's Spyder into town this afternoon and they put the new Q5 tires on it. I can't really do an adequate job of relating the difference before/after. Driving into town on the stock tires, home on the new Q5 units. Absolutely night and day difference.

I want to thank all the posters who promoted ditching the stock tires for a car tire. I can't debate which brand is best, only that the Q5 tires feel and drive great. Anxious to give them a longer ride, which hopefully won't be long in getting done.

Spyder Garage

Ahh, great. I can see another winter upgrade coming

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

New tires on my 2019 F3 Limited. Vredestein Quatrac 5 rear 205/60R15 at 18 psi, Vredestein Quatrac 5 fronts 175/55R15 at 17 psi. I purchased the rear at Vulcan tire, and the fronts at Tire Rack. The tires made a huge difference in the quality of the ride on my Spyder. They feel a lot more stable around town, and also out on the highway. I have had them up to 90 mph so far without any problems. I have not had a chance to try them in the rain, but living down here in Florida, it is only a matter of time before I get to have that experience. As mentioned by others here on the forum, the front tires in this size fit the new style front fenders without any interference.
    2019 F3 Limited , Big Bike Parts full size pedal Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rdkarl View Post
    New tires on my 2019 F3 Limited. Vredestein Quatrac 5 rear 205/60R15 at 18 psi, Vredestein Quatrac 5 fronts 175/55R15 at 17 psi. I purchased the rear at Vulcan tire, and the fronts at Tire Rack. The tires made a huge difference in the quality of the ride on my Spyder. They feel a lot more stable around town, and also out on the highway. I have had them up to 90 mph so far without any problems. I have not had a chance to try them in the rain, but living down here in Florida, it is only a matter of time before I get to have that experience. As mentioned by others here on the forum, the front tires in this size fit the new style front fenders without any interference.
    Thank you for the review, folks here love to get actual rider impressions …. from formal testing reviews and opinions from members who have mounted them, the wet road performance should impress you …… Mike