Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tires

Spyder Garage

Default New Tires

My intent is not to start any type of debate on which types, sizes or PSIs, but to share my experience with new tires:

After reading many, many threads on the Kendas (how crappy they are) and what everyone else has replaced them with, I finally made the decision to put new shoes on

Taking it to the local shop, they took off the OEM tires (<5000 miles) and asked me if there was a reason why I'm changing them, the tread is good, decent wear, etc. I just said I hear they're not great tires and want to upgrade.

After having them put on I had a about a 40 mile ryde home, and I cannot state this enough:

NEW TIRES ARE A MUST! Not only did it feel like a completely different machine, it felt so smooth and much, much more enjoyable to ryde.

I'm not going to get into what brand and size because all that is all debatable. My point is to remind, and perhaps encourage others to look at your current OEM tires and consider making a switch to impove your experience. We all talk about farkles, and should include tires in that conversation as well. Do your own research to decide what you want, but I can definitely say...it's worth it
    2016 RTL "Boris"

Foam Grips
    Utopia Backrest
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Bajaron sway bar
    LED Bumpskid w/remote
    Belt guard
    BRT rear lighting w/strobe
    High mount BRT w/strobe
    Dual a-arm LEDs w/turn signals
    Multicolor underground Halo lighting
    LED headlights and foglights
    FOBO TPMS
    Techgripper phone holder
    Lidlox
    Dual USB with voltmeter
    Dakota Digital Compass/Clock/Altimeter/Temperature Gauge
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55R15 - Fronts
    General Altimax RT43 215/60R15 - Rear

Spyder Garage

Hi ludwig,

Just did my front tires also and couldn't be happier. Too bad BRP used the cheapest tires for an expensive machine.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Hi ludwig,

Just did my front tires also and couldn't be happier. Too bad BRP used the cheapest tires for an expensive machine.
    Lew .... it's all about the money.....I've posted the most logical reasons why BRP chose Kenda, so I won't belabor the point..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike,

Trust me, I know how large manufactures go CHEAP. I had a 89 Dodge P/U----- the cheapest electrical connectors on the planet---- had to fill with di-electric grease and proper taping. Anti-lock brake light would always go on when it rained--- till I fixed it. There were others.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

Not to hijack a thread, but is anyone running the Vredestein Quadratrac 5 tires in the front at 165/60x15 and the Kuhmo Ecsta on the rear in the stock size which is available? On the surface that looks to be a good combination but I don't know for sure.

It sounds like those new tires and a laser alignment would do wonders for the tracking of the unit???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig12of45 View Post
    My intent is not to start any type of debate on which types, sizes or PSIs, but to share my experience with new tires:

After reading many, many threads on the Kendas (how crappy they are) and what everyone else has replaced them with, I finally made the decision to put new shoes on

Taking it to the local shop, they took off the OEM tires (<5000 miles) and asked me if there was a reason why I'm changing them, the tread is good, decent wear, etc. I just said I hear they're not great tires and want to upgrade.

After having them put on I had a about a 40 mile ryde home, and I cannot state this enough:

NEW TIRES ARE A MUST! Not only did it feel like a completely different machine, it felt so smooth and much, much more enjoyable to ryde.

I'm not going to get into what brand and size because all that is all debatable. My point is to remind, and perhaps encourage others to look at your current OEM tires and consider making a switch to impove your experience. We all talk about farkles, and should include tires in that conversation as well. Do your own research to decide what you want, but I can definitely say...it's worth it
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ********************************
    100% AGREE...New Front tires a must..I got mine from Amazon for $47.00 each and Costco mounted and balanced for $12.00 each...$125.00 one day and BIG ride Upgrade!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Not to hijack a thread, but is anyone running the Vredestein Quadratrac 5 tires in the front at 165/60x15 and the Kuhmo Ecsta on the rear in the stock size which is available? On the surface that looks to be a good combination but I don't know for sure.

It sounds like those new tires and a laser alignment would do wonders for the tracking of the unit???
    As far as the Q-5 tire goes, this tire is fairly new to Spyderlovers….. according to many, many here who are now using it, they are very pleased with both dry & wet traction. These tires also provide a very comfortable ride @ 16 to 17 psi. … I've said this before about the Kumho - from what owners had said, it's wet traction ability seems to be good to very good until around 12,000 to 15,000 miles …. then it doesn't hold the road as well …… consider a Q-5 in 205/60-15 or an Altimax RT 43 in 215/60-15 (in lower speed rating ) …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Just returned from 2 weeks of riding in the Smokies with our new Quatrac 5 tires front 16 psi and 18 psi rear and what a great experience in comfort and handling the majestic winding roads that this area has. Did not drive in any steady rain but drove on damp roads many times with the Quatrac 5 tires totally holding the roads safely. We drove the twisty roads at speeds ranging from 30-50 mph and our 2016 Spyder RT two up with a combined weight of 450 lbs. We found leaning as a team permitted us to challenge the curvy roads at moderate speeds and our Quatrac 5 tires held the road firmly and was responsive in handling at all times. Again as we have stated before, our Quatrac 5 tires are giving us a very comfortable smooth and safer ride with the 2 steel belts of their 4 plies. You will notice a dramatic change in the comfort of your ride immediately when changing to car tires v.s the oem tires. We can vouch for the Quatrac 5 tires that they are a great product, and we know other contributor's to our great forum can attest to the use of other good, quality car tires which will make a world of difference in the comfort and safety of your ride. YOU WILL ENJOY YOUR SPYDER MUCH MORE WHEN YOU UPGRADE YOUR TIRES TO CAR TIRES WHICH HAVE BEEN RECOMMENDED BY THE GREAT CONTRIBUTOR'S OF THIS FORUM. WE DID WITH NO REGRETS!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RT and would like to know what size Quatrac 5 tire you used on the front. I know you have to careful of them fitting because of close clearance of the front fenders.
    I live close to you in Beverly Hills and was also up in the smokies in September a great place to ride.
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike4143 View Post
    I have a 2015 RT and would like to know what size Quatrac 5 tire you used on the front. I know you have to careful of them fitting because of close clearance of the front fenders.
    I live close to you in Beverly Hills and was also up in the smokies in September a great place to ride.
    Thanks
    I just bought a pair of 165/60-15 ( this saved me $ 18.00 ) others here are using the 175/55-15 and they fit all types of fenders ( not the Ryker with16" wheels ) ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Front Tires

Did not see the 165R60-15 on Amazon. What tire vendors do you recommend? Thanks

Spyder Garage

I got mine from the "tire rack" fast shipping, reasonable prices.

Spyder Garage

C'mon guys, back on topic!

It doesn't really matter all that much what brand or size of 'proper' tire you get, the overwhelming consensus from pretty much ALL of those who've changed so far is that their Spyder/Ryker has benefitted greatly from the change!! Yeah, there are some who still get OK milage & handling from the OE Spec Kendas, and quite a few who have no choice but to stick with them because their dealers won't fit anything else, but I can't think of too many who've changed to 'proper tires' and then said "Nup, going back, the Kendas were better", Can you??

At the risk of repeating what Ludwig said in his post up the top of this thread....
    ... I'm not going to get into what brand and size because all that is all debatable. My point is to remind, and perhaps encourage others to look at your current OEM tires and consider making a switch to impove your experience. We all talk about farkles, and should include tires in that conversation as well. Do your own research to decide what you want, but I can definitely say...it's worth it!
    Oh, sorry... I did repeat what Ludwig said, didn't I?!

GO ON! DO IT!! YOU KNOW YOU REALLY WANT TO!!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Purchased 2 Vredestein 165/65/R15 tires for $69 each running at 16psi, an 1 205/60/R15 for $84 running at 18 psi from Vulcan Tire which they are located in Pa. Had them at the front door in 4 days. These tires will provide you with a smooth, comfortable, and safe ride as these tires have 2 steel belts as part of their 4 ply rating. Other contributor's to this forum have recommended several other brands to consider and you may consider their recommendations. I will vouch for the Vredestein Tires as they performed flawlessly as we put them to the test for two weeks riding the challenging roads of the Smokies. Whatever brand car tires you select, you will be happy with your decision to upgrade to car tires. The difference in performance and comfort is most noteworthy! You will not regret your decision to take the plunge. DO IT!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    C'mon guys, back on topic!

It doesn't really matter all that much what brand or size of 'proper' tire you get, the overwhelming consensus from pretty much ALL of those who've changed so far is that their Spyder/Ryker has benefitted greatly from the change!! Yeah, there are some who still get OK milage & handling from the OE Spec Kendas, and quite a few who have no choice but to stick with them because their dealers won't fit anything else, but I can't think of too many who've changed to 'proper tires' and then said "Nup, going back, the Kendas were better", Can you??

At the risk of repeating what Ludwig said in his post up the top of this thread....

Oh, sorry... I did repeat what Ludwig said, didn't I?!

GO ON! DO IT!! YOU KNOW YOU REALLY WANT TO!!

Thanks Peter. I just want people to know that getting rid of the kendas and putting on new tires was arguably the most noticeable upgrade I made. What's more impressive is my OEM tires weren't worn or in bad shape.

Ryde on...

Mike
    2016 RTL "Boris"

Foam Grips
    Utopia Backrest
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Bajaron sway bar
    LED Bumpskid w/remote
    Belt guard
    High mount BRT w/strobe
    FOBO TPMS
    Techgripper phone holder
    Lidlox
    Dual USB with voltmeter

Spyder Garage

Just changed the rear to a Kumho. Plan on doing the fronts this spring! Don’t think I’ll be put on a lot of miles before then...
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I'm mulling over which tires I'll be installing over the winter as I found the stock Kendas gave a new meaning to the word "understeer". Reading all the tire threads with interest!
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up New ride-----

Hi neighbor,
    I just replaced the OEM tires with Vredestein 165/65/R15 fronts. Feels like a new ryde . There are others out there---- I know these are good for this grumpyoldretiredshopteacher.

Lew L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
    I'm mulling over which tires I'll be installing over the winter as I found the stock Kendas gave a new meaning to the word "understeer". Reading all the tire threads with interest!
    That's what I did. I read so many threads about tires here before making my decision. It'll make your head spin, but keep in mind that just about anything will be an improvement!
    2016 RTL "Boris"

Foam Grips
    Utopia Backrest
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Bajaron sway bar
    LED Bumpskid w/remote
    Belt guard
    High mount BRT w/strobe
    FOBO TPMS
    Techgripper phone holder
    Lidlox
    Dual USB with voltmeter

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

I think I will be replacing front and rear this winter on my '13 ST. Looking at the Quatrac 5 from tire rack but don't see a 205-60R15. They do show a 205-50. I think that might throw off the suspension and speedometer. What about running that 205-65, might that crowd the fender a bit? I am running a 215-50 in another brand right now and that fits fine. I would like to stay with one brand and style.
    As and aside, my rear shows the same center wear as pic above. Been running 19 PSI but will try 17 to see if I can even it up a bit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    I think I will be replacing front and rear this winter on my '13 ST. Looking at the Quatrac 5 from tire rack but don't see a 205-60R15. They do show a 205-50. I think that might throw off the suspension and speedometer. What about running that 205-65, might that crowd the fender a bit? I am running a 215-50 in another brand right now and that fits fine. I would like to stay with one brand and style.
    As and aside, my rear shows the same center wear as pic above. Been running 19 PSI but will try 17 to see if I can even it up a bit.
    Yes the 205/50-15 will be smaller ( than the OEM 225/50-15 ) but I don't think it will cause any issues. The 205/65-15, is very close to what most people have use ie. 215/60-15. …. But if you are still nervous the General Altimax RT43 come in 215/60-15 and that is a very, very good tire…….Mike

Spyder Garage

What is wrong with KUMHO ECSTA AST for a rear tire? It comes in the exact replacement size, tread pattern looks similar????

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yes the 205/50-15 will be smaller ( than the OEM 225/50-15 ) but I don't think it will cause any issues. The 205/65-15, is very close to what most people have use ie. 215/60-15. …. But if you are still nervous the General Altimax RT43 come in 215/60-15 and that is a very, very good tire…….Mike
    Where have you found the Altimax, I don't see that brand listed at either Tire Rack or Discount Tire?

Spyder Garage

High full,
    Its a General tire. A General Altimax. I bought mine from the Tire Rack.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Speed+Rated%29

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    What is wrong with KUMHO ECSTA AST for a rear tire? It comes in the exact replacement size, tread pattern looks similar????
    Based on what users from this Forum have said …. Dry traction very good …. Wet traction good - however many have said the wet traction diminishes starting at about 15,000 mi..... IMHO the wet traction is the most important factor in a rear Spyder tire..... There are much better tires, priced similar, the rear tire does NOT have to be a 225/50-15 ….. ride happy -ride safe …. Mike