Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake locked up - off to dealer to fix Module Failure...

It started out as a short ride to fill up on gas for the next day's group ride while attending the Green County Spyder Jamboree. It ended up with my wifes 2018 F3L's parking brake not releasing. I want to jump ahead and say that "YES" I have read the many write ups on this happening to others and "YES" I had every intention to put the correct tools in our frunks in case this ever happened to us or other riders....and "YES" I had not gotten around to doing that. Luckily for us when my wife rode my bike back to the hotel to see if we could get some help, other riders stepped up and got us going. I spent an afternoon reading up and watching videos on the "TEMP REPAIR" and even tried several times to fix it but it would work a couple of times then it would lock up again, so I was given some zip ties and I just left it disconnected and zip tied up out of the way and we came home a day early from the Jamboree. I have an appointment with the dealer midweek.

When talking to the dealer they told me that very few were caused by the parking brake module (motor)? I have had several members tell me that there was a TSB out and I finally was able to download it last night and it says to replace the module. So I am taking that in with me to to dealer. (we had a problem a couple of years ago when the left hand switch stopped working and they could not duplicate it....until we called BRP and the switch was replaced). I am also going to start a warranty claim on the mirror housings that we have gorilla taped to keep them from falling off (we have done Lamont's mirror fix but it did not affect the mirror housing problem).

All that to say that we have "ZERO" intention of quitting BRP or jumping on a bandwagon to badmouth Can Am. Things happen, dealers do strange things, and the Spyders (to us) are fantastic vehicles and the folks we meet at events are even better. We were blessed to have folks be able to help us at the Jamboree and I have every intention of getting 2 12MM wrenches and a pair of needle nose pliers to carry in my frunk to help out future riders if this ever happens to them. I already have a jump start kit, tire plug kit, and an air compressor....still plenty of room left for more stuff.

Have a great day
    John
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-03-2022 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly mention purpose.... + break - brake ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...parking brake module (motor)?...
    The "module" is the electronic controller for two motors: the park brake motor AND the windshield-lift motor. On my RTL anyway...
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revrent View Post
    It started out as a short ride to fill up on gas for the next day's group ride while attending the Green County Spyder Jamboree. It ended up with my wifes 2018 F3L's parking brake not releasing.
    I've been having the same problem with my 2018 RT Limited. I have an appointment on the 14th of Oct to bring my bike into the dealership to have it "fixed".

I also foud the service bulletin issued by BRP advising to replace the motor. I printed it and will bring it along to my appointment. I'm pretty sure the dealer won't have a motor in stock and it will take several months, maybe until next spring to get it back ordered. I'll post back on my experience.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited