Thread: exhaust leak

Spyder Garage

Default exhaust leak

any one here ever change exhaust manifold gaskets. If so is it difficult/

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The only issue about this ( that I have seen ), has revolved around the flexible " sleeve gasket " on the actual exhaust pipe itself.... I haven't heard of " pipe flange to engine " as being a problem ….. On my V-twins I had swapped out the OEM " sleeves " for ones made by Honda..... I don't think the 1330 engines have this issue ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Don"t know...

Have also only changed the muffler to pipe and the sleeve gaskets using the Honda ones. They have modified those sleeve gaskets now and are similar to the Honda ones. If you do have to change the manifold gaskets and have never changed the others I would pull the whole system off and replace them all and wrap the pipe with heat wrap. The tough one will be the rear cylinder. Good place for parts is cheapcycleparts.com ....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

thanks ! I have a ticking sound that comes and goes and at times is quit loud. oil level is good, had it in the shop for new fuel injector and told mechanic. he didn't hear it. I have asked around and exhaust leak is what it may be

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tsmdvl3 View Post
    thanks ! I have a ticking sound that comes and goes and at times is quit loud. oil level is good, had it in the shop for new fuel injector and told mechanic. he didn't hear it. I have asked around and exhaust leak is what it may be
    That ticking sound may be the cam chain tensioner. It is a not uncommon noise on the 1330 engines. The force on the cam chain applied by the tensioner is a combination of hydraulic (from the engine) and spring tension. I've heard the noise on more than a few engines, new and those with miles on them. I suspect it's caused by a weak spring in combination with a small oil passage that might become partially clogged. If the noise doesn't go away, then you have a potential problem. If it does go away when running, I think you're okay.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6