Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Mobile 1 4T motorcycle oil 1st Gear SE6 clutch slipping

P1040459.jpg
    I had approx 3000 miles on Mobile 1 4T synthetic motorcycle oil, initial take off was jerky--trans clutch would slip up to 1500+ RPM & then launch. Reminded me of the stall speed torque converter. Everything was ok after wheels were moving. Just 1st gear--couldn't feather it down to launch without the jerking start.
    I changed oil to Yamaha high performance motorcycle oil & now all is well--F3's launches normal with out jerking start movement. Mobile 1 advertises the 4T oil version as wet clutch motorcycle oil. It doesn't work well on my 2015 F3's.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Running Rotella t6 5W40. No problem.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

That is not the same Mobil 1 I got in mine. Mine says Mobil1 4 Cycle Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. It is a little bit grabby when it is cold and first started up, but after it reaches normal operating temperature, it smooths right out. Says right on the bottle it is for wet clutch system and the specs meet all those listed in the Owners Manual.

2019 F3-S
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I just recently went to M1 4T 10w40 full syn m/c oil on my last oil change. For reference, I do have the SE6 transmission. I bought (11) quarts at Walmart for my then 800 Tiger when it was on clearance for $3/qt. I just took it out for another spin today here in southern WI, with air temps in low 40*s. Shifted smoothly right from the get/go. Still working well for me...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    That is not the same Mobil 1 I got in mine. Mine says Mobil1 4 Cycle Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. It is a little bit grabby when it is cold and first started up, but after it reaches normal operating temperature, it smooths right out. Says right on the bottle it is for wet clutch system and the specs meet all those listed in the Owners Manual.

2019 F3-S
    Mobile 1 4T oil
    4T oil is a specially formulated oil for use in high performance 4 stroke motor cycles where high torque and extreme temperatures that may be encountered. The oil can tolerate extremely high temperatures without viscosity or thermal breakdown

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Running Rotella t6 5W40. No problem.
    … plus Shell has a really, really great RE-BATE on it until December ….. Some one posted the LINK a few months back, maybe they will re-post it …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Is that Mobil 1 made for wet clutches??
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Been using the same oil in the RTS se6 for years and thousands of miles with no issues.

As a thought you might want to check your front drive pulley.

Spyder Garage

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I ran Mobil 4T Racing 10W-40 full synthetic oil for 19,000+ miles changing it every 6,000 or so but switched to Amsoil because the Mobil viscosity sheared down to 20 weight but gave me absolutely no problems and did shift smoother than BRP's synthetic blend. Have been using Amsoil Metric 10W-40 fully synthetic since 26K on the clock changing it at 9,300 and having it analyzed. It routinely gives 40 wt performance in the cSt 100 scale at the 9,300 distance.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Mobile 1 4T oil
    4T oil is a specially formulated oil for use in high performance 4 stroke motor cycles where high torque and extreme temperatures that may be encountered. The oil can tolerate extremely high temperatures without viscosity or thermal breakdown
    I have run Mobil 1 4T Oil on my 2016 RTL for 36,000 miles, and plan to continue. I started using it after the first 3000 Oil service.
    007James
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-25-2019 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

It can catch you out if you're not paying attention: Walmart has, side by side on the shelf, two different flavors of Mobil 1 MOTORCYCLE oil.
    One is made for wet clutches (Mobil 1 4T), one is for Harleys (Mobil 1 V-Twin) which have separate crankcase, primary, and transmission oil supplies.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    It can catch you out if you're not paying attention: Walmart has, side by side on the shelf, two different flavors of Mobil 1 MOTORCYCLE oil.
    One is made for wet clutches (Mobil 1 4T), one is for Harleys (Mobil 1 V-Twin) which have separate crankcase, primary, and transmission oil supplies.
    Mobil1 V-Twin is certified for wet clutches and it is API SJ rated. https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...motorcycle-oil

Spyder Garage

Mobil1 V-Twin is certified for wet clutches and it is API SJ rated. https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...motorcycle-oil
    Some people don't realize that primary = wet clutch. Not sure anyone wants to run the 20w50 v-twin formula in their Spyder.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Some people don't realize that primary = wet clutch. Not sure anyone wants to run the 20w50 v-twin formula in their Spyder.
    I ran 20-50 V-Twin in the transmission/primary of my Sportster for 20 years. It is wet clutch and got 150,000 miles or more out of the clutches. That is the same thing I was getting out of the clutches running Harley Formula Plus Transmission and Primary Fluid. Besides that I was running a shortened 9 inch Ford rear axle with two 15 inch truck tires on the back......... very hard on clutches. I know what a wet clutch is. I been riding for 60 years.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I ran Mobil 4T Racing 10W-40 full synthetic oil for 19,000+ miles changing it every 6,000 or so but switched to Amsoil because the Mobil viscosity sheared down to 20 weight but gave me absolutely no problems and did shift smoother than BRP's synthetic blend. Have been using Amsoil Metric 10W-40 fully synthetic since 26K on the clock changing it at 9,300 and having it analyzed. It routinely gives 40 wt performance in the cSt 100 scale at the 9,300 distance.
    I did back to back oil analysis on the Mobil 1 and the Amsoil and can confirm the Amsoil is still a 40 weight at 9,666 miles while the Mobil 1 was a 30 weight at 8,600 miles in our 2016 F3l.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Yes--expand the attached Mobile 4T photo & you can read "Wet Clutches) on the label.

Spyder Garage

Shell Rotella t6 5W40 rebate. Type that in address bar, pick the result says - Save up to $7 per Gallon l Shell ROTELLA. takes you to the rebate form

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    It is interesting when you have an analysis done. Takes a lot of the guess work out of knowing what the oil is actually doing in there. Very inexpensive and objective information source.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I ran 20-50 V-Twin in the transmission/primary of my Sportster for 20 years. It is wet clutch and got 150,000 miles or more out of the clutches. That is the same thing I was getting out of the clutches running Harley Formula Plus Transmission and Primary Fluid. Besides that I was running a shortened 9 inch Ford rear axle with two 15 inch truck tires on the back......... very hard on clutches. I know what a wet clutch is. I been riding for 60 years.
    I wasn't referring to you, sorry if I implied that. Just stating that some not familiar with H-D three hole design may not know that primary = wet clutch.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I did back to back oil analysis on the Mobil 1 and the Amsoil and can confirm the Amsoil is still a 40 weight at 9,666 miles while the Mobil 1 was a 30 weight at 8,600 miles in our 2016 F3l.
    Ahhhh.. That was your post on BITOG. I wonder how shear stability varies from SE6 > SM6 transmissions? Rotella T 5w40 is notorious for shearing down in shared sump m/c use. The joys of oil debates
    https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...mo#Post5190282

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I wasn't referring to you, sorry if I implied that. Just stating that some not familiar with H-D three hole design may not know that primary = wet clutch.
    Actually, the Harley XL engines only have 2 holes. The primary and the tranny are running the same oil.

Spyder Garage

Actually, the Harley XL engines only have 2 holes. The primary and the tranny are running the same oil.
    Yup. as did my Buell M2. My 103" TC is three.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ahhhh.. That was your post on BITOG. I wonder how shear stability varies from SE6 > SM6 transmissions? Rotella T 5w40 is notorious for shearing down in shared sump m/c use. The joys of oil debates
    https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...mo#Post5190282
    It’s really the same transmission.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    Myself and most folks I know use Mobil 1 V Twin 20/50 for all lubrication needs in our Harleys, as well as most dealers!