Spyder Garage

Question Ignorant questions about jacking up the RT

Greetings Spyderlovers!

I've browsed several posts tonight about jacking up the Spyder for maintenance and most of them seem to center on the discussion of an ATV lift (or something like it) and adapting it to the Spyder. As opposed to purchasing yet another item exclusively for working on my Spyder, I'm attempting to make do with what I have.

My plan was to run the front end up onto my car ramps then jack up the back end and rest the rear tire on a platform I made out of 2x6. Well, the ramps wanted to scoot across the garage as I attempted to roll up on them so I ended up using my floor jack to lift the front end (while a friend spotted me) then placed the ramps as seen.

As for lifting the rear, the frame doesn't seem to extend rearward enough since the trailing edge of the frame still feels as if its forward of the center of gravity (or perhaps precisely at the COG?). It got me to thinking though... "Do I really need the tail level with the front?"

The main clearance I wanted for maintenance was up near the front to facilitate an oil change. I'm thinking I just leave her right where she is and not even bother lifting the back end. Thoughts on this??

The only obvious concern I can think of is that the pitch of the bike might preclude the oil completely draining from the pan as it should.
    Does anyone know where oil drain plug is placed?
    • Near the leading edge of the pan?
    • Closer to the trailing edge?
    • Somewhere near the middle of the pan?

If it's toward the rear or the trailing edge of the pan, it shouldn't be an issue to leave the rear tire on the floor as shown.
    If the drain plug is placed somewhere else, imma need a little ingenuity and coaching from y'all about about points I can safely contact with my floor jack to lift up the rear.

TIA,
    David

Spyder_On_Ramps.jpg
    --
    David in Wa.
    2019 Can-Am Spyder RTL SE6

"The Ride is the reason. The destination is just the excuse."
    2019 RTL , Phoenix Orange Metalic

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change

I would raise the rear up some and then put a 2x4 or 4x4 under the rear tire. Remove the oil drain plugs and see what you get.
    The next step would be go up to level and see how it goes. I use a center ATV type Jack and can not do a test for you.
    If you try this please post your results....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Upcoaster View Post
    Greetings Spyderlovers!

I've browsed several posts tonight about jacking up the Spyder for maintenance and most of them seem to center on the discussion of an ATV lift (or something like it) and adapting it to the Spyder. As opposed to purchasing yet another item exclusively for working on my Spyder, I'm attempting to make do with what I have.

My plan was to run the front end up onto my car ramps then jack up the back end and rest the rear tire on a platform I made out of 2x6. Well, the ramps wanted to scoot across the garage as I attempted to roll up on them so I ended up using my floor jack to lift the front end (while a friend spotted me) then placed the ramps as seen.

As for lifting the rear, the frame doesn't seem to extend rearward enough since the trailing edge of the frame still feels as if its forward of the center of gravity (or perhaps precisely at the COG?). It got me to thinking though... "Do I really need the tail level with the front?"

The main clearance I wanted for maintenance was up near the front to facilitate an oil change. I'm thinking I just leave her right where she is and not even bother lifting the back end. Thoughts on this??

The only obvious concern I can think of is that the pitch of the bike might preclude the oil completely draining from the pan as it should.

If it's toward the rear or the trailing edge of the pan, it shouldn't be an issue to leave the rear tire on the floor as shown.
    If the drain plug is placed somewhere else, imma need a little ingenuity and coaching from y'all about about points I can safely contact with my floor jack to lift up the rear.

TIA,
    David

Spyder_On_Ramps.jpg
    Been there done that. … The reason the front ramps move when the front tires make contact is because there really isn't much weight on them ( if any )….. this can be resolved by putting the ramp on a 1/2 to 3/4 in. board and a block in front of the ramp so it doesn't slide off the board..... then the weight of the ( front half ) Spyder is on the board/ramp & it shouldn't move ….. another way is to use a long board about 8in wide, place it on the floor and attach a 2" x 4" x 60" wide at one end, place the ramps against the 2 x4..... when you drive the Spyder onto the wide board the attached 2 x 4 will keep the ramps from moving ….. As far as lifting the rear of the Spyder I have always placed my small jack under the rear shock …. I put a small piece of 2 x 4 x 6" … on the Jack pad, this is wide enough so that only the metal shock supports touch the wood. You don't want to have the weight of the Spyder on the bottom of the shock , this could bend the shock bolt and that would be a problem …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Lets see....

Assuming this is your 2010 RT then the drain plugs (2) are around the the left foot peg area. You have one for engine oil and one for oil tank. Being an Sm5 you have one oil filter in that same area. The owners manual has all this. As for lifting the rear end put a block across the rear shock support and lift your floor Jack and then set the wheel down on your 2x6's. Do it once and your a pro for next time...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

all ?'s are good, just some better than others, we've all asked our share of dumb ?'s over the years. I did one or 2 recently
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Upcoaster View Post
    Greetings Spyderlovers!

TIA,
    David

Spyder_On_Ramps.jpg
    I have the exact same ramps and am able to drive my spyder up the ramps no problem. I then place my jack under the rear shock lift the Spyder up to level and place a third ramp under the rear wheel.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I used 3 ramps placed old rubber car mats under them and backed the spyder up on them.Never had a problem
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... You don't want to have the weight of the Spyder on the bottom of the shock , this could bend the shock bolt and that would be a problem …… Mike
    I think you'll find the whole rear end weight and more is on that shock bolt when the bike is in use.

However, I use car ramps under the front and leave the rear wheel on the ground and the oil appears to drain OK.
    My ramps tend to slide too but resettling them on the floor usually does the trick but Ex Winger's rubber mat idea sounds worth a try.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

OP:

How about backing up on a ramp behind the rear wheel and then jack up the front and add ramps under the front wheels.??

Spyder Garage

I have a Craftsman Motorcycle Jack that will lift the Spyder RT and F3S both. You just have to try a few times to find the exact balance point. I don't trust it though - so I always use blocks under the tires once I get it up. For just an oil change - I've always just lifted the front of the Spyder - and left the rear on the ground and felt like I was fine with the oil change. My ramps tend to slide on me as well so what I do is set the ramp against the lip of the garage floor where it meets the drive way. It's just enough that the ramps no longer slide. Means my oil change is outside - but I don't care much about that - unless of course it's raining - then I can use my jack to raise it up instead. I do all my own maintenance on cars/motorcycles/spyders unless a flash/buds is required. My 1 craftsman jack will work on my toys.

I like the idea of the rubber mat - I may look for something cheap - and I might even build me a third ramp - backing up on 3 makes sense also.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

This works best for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I prefer to run the front wheels up on the ramps, and since the driveway outside the garage slopes away, the bike is close to level when I position it about 2/3 way up the ramps. It leaves enough room to get the drain pan under and still is quite stable to wrench the plugs and inspect underneath.

Another way is to use the floor jack and just raise it about 3" for clearance underneath. The wheels still rest on the ground for stability, but there is enough room to pull the plugs and slide the drain pan underneath. The "balance point" for the spyders is about 6-8 inches from the rear of the box frame member. Just dont jack it too high without having supports under it.....
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Been there done that. … The reason the front ramps move when the front tires make contact is because there really isn't much weight on them ( if any )….. this can be resolved by putting the ramp on a 1/2 to 3/4 in. board and a block in front of the ramp so it doesn't slide off the board..... then the weight of the ( front half ) Spyder is on the board/ramp & it shouldn't move ….. another way is to use a long board about 8in wide, place it on the floor and attach a 2" x 4" x 60" wide at one end, place the ramps against the 2 x4..... when you drive the Spyder onto the wide board the attached 2 x 4 will keep the ramps from moving ….. As far as lifting the rear of the Spyder I have always placed my small jack under the rear shock …. I put a small piece of 2 x 4 x 6" … on the Jack pad, this is wide enough so that only the metal shock supports touch the wood. You don't want to have the weight of the Spyder on the bottom of the shock , this could bend the shock bolt and that would be a problem …… Mike
    Thats PRECISELY the input I was looking for, Mike. A very creative suggestion about the ramps. I'll try that next time. Meanwhile, the remedy for getting the rear up in the air is also excellent. I knew I'd seen some sort of caution about the shock so I dared not go there at all. The added hunk of wood is the insight I was hoping to learn.

Thanks again!
    David
    --
    David in Wa.

Spyder Garage

Ahh! I like that latter suggestion a lot, @AeroPilot!: Lift her to stretch the range of motion of the suspension but not enough to float the wheels in the air.

That's a really great tip! Thank you!!
    --
    David in Wa.

Spyder Garage

I use three wide (about 5") scissor jacks. One under each front suspension - just inside the tires and one under the shock connection at the rear. I use some flat hard rubber about 1" thick on the Jacks to prevent marring bike parts. Usually lift mine like this for winter - just so the tires clear the floor. And for Maintenance a little higher to get a drain pan under the bike. Got the jacks on Amazon. The rubber came from packing crates for UTV's/ATV's at a dealer a few miles away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great suggestions
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You wrote: "I like the idea of the rubber mat - I may look for something cheap."

You'll find that people who do yoga get tired of their mats after a couple of month. In my house there must be 5 or 6 'stored' under beds. These come in useful for the task you have in mind since they're designed for gripping the floor. Ask around.

Caven
    Caven Mcloughlin; caven@kent.edu

Spyder Garage

I have always used 3 x 5 floor mats under the ramps. They will work fine like that.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories