Thread: Rain Gear

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rain Gear

Lots of threads on this topic ….. I haven't seen this mentioned, " Seat Beads ". After thousands of miles in the rain … The thing I notice the most is that I always have a pool of water on the seat in the " crotch area ".... I don't care what type of product you use ( I have tried many ), this will occur and the pants will leak in this area and of spread..... I think I will get a Seat Bead, and see if this will stop the pooling of water, it seems logical that it will allow the water to drain before it pools. Does anyone use their Seat Beads in the rain , if so does it help.…… Mike

Spyder Garage

Good topic. Answers????

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Goes from the crotch area to the butt area. At least your not sitting in the water with the beads.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Goes from the crotch area to the butt area. At least your not sitting in the water with the beads.
    This is my thinking..... I hope someone who uses the BEADS will chime in ….. Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rain Seat

I tried using a section of a 1" plastic/rubber mat and still had issues.
    Yes, there openings in the mat.
    Used 2" and this was a little improvement but still not a very good FIX...
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Your crafty....

Make a deflector to slip between the seat edge and body panels to keep the flow away from that area... it's all I got we don't have much precipitation around here....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use the beads, it's about the best solution, even then 'the area' can get damp depending on hard it rains.

Spyder Garage

Can't help any with the beads, tho it does sound like a good idea! However, I've found that most of the water collected in that crotch area comes off the front of my jacket & runs down from there, eventually making it into the crotch area of my trousers or into a puddle on the seat from there.

Until recently, even if I had a good rain jacket on that was pulled down over the top of rain trousers, there hadta be a fairly substantial overlap with a fairly tight lower edge of the jacket, or the wind & turbulence between me'n the windshield would push enough of the water running down the front of the jacket up under the jacket waistband & in due course over the top of the rain trousers waistband before it'd end up running down my front & pooling where it's least appreciated!

Buuut, my latest rain jacket acquisition has a belt type waist fastener built into the waistband so that once I've got it on & pulled down over the top of the rain trousers waistband, if I cinch the jacket belt thingy up tight, the amount of water that might eventually make its way thru is very much reduced if not completely stopped! Our most recent 'long ryde in the rain' wearing this 'cinched tight jacket' only lasted for about 4 hours, but it was solid rain that saw most other motorcyclists & quite a few car drivers seek shelter and yet I remained dry the entire time.... and what with the Rivco Expanding Rear Rack on the trunk lid acting as a 'whale tail' & stopping the water being sucked up in the turbulence behind the Spyder so that the Missus ryding pillion didn't get any water/mud dumped down the back of her neck, we were both very happy people! !

Sure, we haven't done any 18 hour stints ryding in the pouring rain with this latest set up.... yet!! But hey, it was a pretty solidly wet 4 hours that we stayed dry throughout, and the daughter & S-i-L in their award winning fully restored '63 Beetle Rag Top got a fair bit wetter'n us thru rain soaking thru the Rag Top, so like I said, we're pretty happy!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-24-2019 at 07:15 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Mr BLUEKNIGHT911,
    I've ridden with the Beadrider https://www.beadrider.com/product/cl...rider-pillion/ and I can't say it helped with puddle butt. It helped greatly with heat induced swamp-ass during our hot and humid summers. It has about 1/2" diameter beads, which sounds like it may be uncomfortable, but it's actually pretty good. I'm running a big sheepskin right now.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-24-2019 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Removed non-quoted Quote. ;)
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Can't help any with the beads, tho it does sound like a good idea! However, I've found that most of the water collected in that crotch area comes off the front of my jacket & runs down from there, eventually making it into the crotch area of my trousers or into a puddle on the seat from there.
    Yeah, that’s why I always look for a single piece rain suit with a hood, Peter. You CAN’T get anything down the back of your neck, you CAN’T get anything coming up under your jacket (but you are still sitting in a puddle). Plus, you look soooooooo stylish. I have received several modelling offers after people have seen me in my fashionable plastic bag . The only issue is in finding ANY rain gear in XXXXXXL - TALL.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Mr BLUEKNIGHT911,
    I've ridden with the Beadrider https://www.beadrider.com/product/cl...rider-pillion/ and I can't say it helped with puddle butt. It helped greatly with heat induced swamp-ass during our hot and humid summers. It has about 1/2" diameter beads, which sounds like it may be uncomfortable, but it's actually pretty good. I'm running a big sheepskin right now.
    That's too bad ( about the puddle ) - I was hoping the spacing between the BEADS would allow the water to drain faster. …. I wonder if some of the BEADS could be safely re-moved to allow for better drainage …. what do you think ……. Thanks …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only way I see it would be to run a drain hose thru the seat. similar what they did with the 622 trailer

Spyder Garage

The only way I see it would be to run a drain hose thru the seat. similar what they did with the 622 trailer
    The issue as I see it with that is …. it would be difficult - to not cover that hose opening with part of your body / clothes …. but you are thinking and that's always a Plus ...…….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    That's too bad ( about the puddle ) - I was hoping the spacing between the BEADS would allow the water to drain faster. …. I wonder if some of the BEADS could be safely re-moved to allow for better drainage …. what do you think ……. Thanks …. Mike
    I like trikermuthas suggestion, but how about a combo. Use the beads to add some loft, but also modify your seat similar to one of those high tech racing bicycle seats with the cutout to allow the boys freedom to do their thing, but add a channel all the way through the set to allow water to drain away. The beads will stop items you really don't want to go down the drain from leaving, while allowing the water to exit.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

I like trikermuthas suggestion, but how about a combo. Use the beads to add some loft, but also modify your seat similar to one of those high tech racing bicycle seats with the cutout to allow the boys freedom to do their thing, but add a channel all the way through the set to allow water to drain away. The beads will stop items you really don't want to go down the drain from leaving, while allowing the water to exit.
    From your comments, I see the merit in what you suggest ….. Over the years I have tried some things that even I questioned my logic on ….. Your Idea is great …. the problem is - is it doable by me ???? …. I would like something that looks decent, besides being useful ….. I will give this a lot of thought over the winter ….. Thanks for your suggestion … ...PS, If I remove the " Hose " from this equation it becomes simpler, there are lots of products I can use to SEAL the seat foam from water, and just let it drain thru a hole in the Pan ….. Maybe ?????? ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From your comments, I see the merit in what you suggest ….. Over the years I have tried some things that even I questioned my logic on ….. Your Idea is great …. the problem is - is it doable by me ???? …. I would like something that looks decent, besides being useful ….. I will give this a lot of thought over the winter ….. Thanks for your suggestion … ...PS, If I remove the " Hose " from this equation it becomes simpler, there are lots of products I can use to SEAL the seat foam from water, and just let it drain thru a hole in the Pan ….. Maybe ?????? ….. Mike
    The problem possibly with that it now may pool up under the seat as the RT have that plastic covers around the frame. That is if it was just done as suggested with the seat hole opening. Think it could be done the same way with a hose running out and down to the bottom on the bike? But would need to be sealed up around the openings.

Spyder Garage

I purchased seat beads from Value Accessories at one of his Ohio rides.. They not only resolve the cold puddle in the crotch area but also provide added comfort for long distance riding. A great solution.
    2012 RT-S and 2013 STL

Spyder Garage

The problem possibly with that it now may pool up under the seat as the RT have that plastic covers around the frame. That is if it was just done as suggested with the seat hole opening. Think it could be done the same way with a hose running out and down to the bottom on the bike? But would need to be sealed up around the openings.
    I think if there is a hole in the seat cover, and the foam in the seat can be sealed, cutting a hole in the pan would let the water drain down..… everything under the pan is already waterproof …. so gravity will get it out ….JMHO …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tjsox View Post
    I purchased seat beads from Value Accessories at one of his Ohio rides.. They not only resolve the cold puddle in the crotch area but also provide added comfort for long distance riding. A great solution.
    Interesting that the BEADS worked for you, but not for hOgr1der !!!! …. may be His beads are smaller !!! …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Interesting that the BEADS worked for you, but not for hOgr1der !!!! …. may be His beads are smaller !!! …. Mike
    Maybe I'm more rotund!
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Maybe I'm more rotund!
    .... I'm not going there ……. ...… Mike