Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of getting Spyder RT

Hi all I am thinking of getting Spyder RT. Little back ground. I have been riding 2 wheels over 30 years. Yes I have crashed several times it comes with territory I guess. I now have Ryker Rally, I love that thing. Not only I love my Ryker, my better half loves it as well. She never rode 2 wheels not even with me, but she always gave her blessing, so I can enjoy my freedom on 2 wheels now 3 wheels. I am thinking of getting RT and hand over the Ryker to my wife or just buy one more Ryker. She is getting her motorcycle endorsement soon. I have never rode the RT so not sure if I would like it or not. Reason behind the RT, is I want get little camping trailer so my wife and I can go camping. With the trailer don't have to worried about setting up a tent. I like standing up when I get dress in the morning, therefor tent is out of the question. What are you thoughts????? Am I crazy????

Spyder Garage

hahaha when you get the r-t you realize you can carry quite a lot of stuff with you ! and stay at nice hotels -------> this will come in handy at spyder meets !

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IMHO the Ryker is like a mini-spyder, it's lots of fun, but very limited. I have a 14 RT ( basic ) which I have diy'ed all the nice things to improve ride, handling, radio / sirius XM, towing and trailer ( plus about 60 other things ) …. If you get one come up to Vermont and I can put on a Hitch , wire it, and sell you an 18 cu. ft. lightweight trailer ( 135lbs ) …. feed you dinner, and put you up for the night ( or longer ) …… Mike …..PS my sister lives in Spotswood NJ ….

Spyder Garage

There is a big difference between Ryker and RT. Best advice is to test drive one and see what you think after the experience.

What will come out is the RT is bigger and offers a much more plush ride. Me, I like the RT's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback12 View Post
    Hi all I am thinking of getting Spyder RT. Little back ground. I have been riding 2 wheels over 30 years. Yes I have crashed several times it comes with territory I guess. I now have Ryker Rally, I love that thing. Not only I love my Ryker, my better half loves it as well. She never rode 2 wheels not even with me, but she always gave her blessing, so I can enjoy my freedom on 2 wheels now 3 wheels. I am thinking of getting RT and hand over the Ryker to my wife or just buy one more Ryker. She is getting her motorcycle endorsement soon. I have never rode the RT so not sure if I would like it or not. Reason behind the RT, is I want get little camping trailer so my wife and I can go camping. With the trailer don't have to worried about setting up a tent. I like standing up when I get dress in the morning, therefor tent is out of the question. What are you thoughts????? Am I crazy????
    Whatever you do, do NOT test ride an RT.……unless you want your bank account to be $30k less, LOL.

We absolutely LOVE our RT. There’s a reason why it’s the “flagship” of the Spyder line.

You’ve been warned !!
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Test Ride

I recommend getting a dealer to work with you. Test Ride before you BUY.
    Ride the RT and also ride the F3. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR DECISION.
    Ride and be Safe....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Find a place where you can rent one for a day/weekend and put some miles on one!!! You will love it, the Rykers a nice what I like to call, crouch rocket, fun to jet around on and rip up the tar, the RT, or the F3L, they are built for comfort and cruising!! Good luck and don't let the wife drive one of them or you may loose your new ride and be back on the Ryker!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    Whatever you do, do NOT test ride an RT.……unless you want your bank account to be $30k less, LOL.

We absolutely LOVE our RT. There’s a reason why it’s the “flagship” of the Spyder line.

You’ve been warned !!
    Been there done that. Knowing what I know now I would follow this site and buy a nice low millage spyder for a very sweet price. There are many of them on here. Do your D&D's and test ride and figure out what's best for your needs, then look for a well kept 2nd hand spyder. You'll save several thousands of dollars.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you love the way the ryker handles and rides, but just want something a little bigger to pull a trailer, I strongly suggest that you give the F3L and try. The RT is very nice, and made for touring. But the F3 series of spyders is more closely related to the ryker ride and handling characteristics. I say give them both a try. Good luck shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Hey there Peacekeeper 6, I like your comments about the RT's. AND MORE IMPORTANT, it's nice to hear from a fellow 101st Airborne "Screaming Eagle"! what years did you serve?
    BIG F
    (2018 RT Limited)

Spyder Garage

Morning everyone... if all goes as planned, I will be driving my new 2019 F3LTD home this afternoon! I’ve got an hours ride home from the dealership and have a buddy riding home with me? I’ll have a helmet, jacket and gloves, no boots yet. Any last minute words of wisdom? I am sooooooo ��

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Proper farkeling

You'll love it. LOTS of good advice on this forum that will help you out. Prepare to FARKEL.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for taking time to respond, I appreciated. I will take one out tomorrow Thursday 10-24-2019. I will let you all know how I feel about it after the test ride.

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for taking time to respond, I appreciated. I will take one out tomorrow Thursday 10-24-2019. I will let you all know how I feel about it after the test ride.
    Remember, you have two options. Leave the check book at home or bring it with you if you want to save time. Enjoy the test drive.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Remember, you have two options. Leave the check book at home or bring it with you if you want to save time. Enjoy the test drive.
    I always bring my check book with me, but I don't get easily sway no matter what the temptation is.

Spyder Garage

Strongly suggest you ride both an RT and an F3L before making up your mind. They have VERY different riding positions and dynamics. Lots of folks sell RTs to move on to F3 but very few go the other way. Just be sure you are buying the right bike for YOU.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    You’ve been warned !!
    Actually, the test ride is what turned me OFF the RT, Peacekeeper, and on to the F3 Limited, which was far closer to the 2 wheel ride I was leaving behind. Sure, the RT is the Flagship, but many of us prefer a Destroyer to a Flagship Aircraft Carrier. I guess that’s why BRP have incorporated so many of the F3 features in the 2020 RT. I will certainly be taking the 2020 RT for a test ride for that reason alone
    Someone moving to Spyders really does need to ride both models

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I always bring my check book with me, but I don't get easily sway no matter what the temptation is.
    I like a person with principles.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Test rode both RT and F3 Limited decided to buy new Ryker when the time comes. Both the RT and F3 is more of convertible car that you ride on. Ryker on the other hand feel bit more motorcycle. If I have change of heart by the end of the year, it will be RT. RT only wins on the seating position with commanding view of the road vs F3 and Ryker.

Spyder Garage

Test rode both RT and F3 Limited decided to buy new Ryker when the time comes. Both the RT and F3 is more of convertible car that you ride on. Ryker on the other hand feel bit more motorcycle. If I have change of heart by the end of the year, it will be RT. RT only wins on the seating position with commanding view of the road vs F3 and Ryker.
    The "Ryker" is a 'Fun factor, and a commuter.

The RT is more for riding long distance ( going cross country etc.) and you can tow a trailer behind it, plus you can ride 2 -up on a RT,and still have plenty of power( 1330 Ace Engine on the 2014 Spyders models and up).

The RT is comfortable and has all the bells and whistles on the RT.

7 years ago i bought a (at the time) a 2012 RTS-SE5 ( traded-up for my current spyder which is a 2014 RTS-SE6). My current spyder is a 2014 RTS-SE6. I was a passenger on 2 wheeled motorcycles for 16 years.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD