Spyder Garage

Question 2018 RT Limited SE-6 throttle up gives high revs with no forward motion

Hi

It's been a couple of weeks since I got my first oil change and maintenance, I noticed the last three or four rides that
    The Spyder will rev like crazy and no accompanying acceleration. I have to drop the throttle a bit to get traction again

Has anyone else had this issue?

I have 4200 miles on it so far.
    2018 RT , PEARL WHITE/CHROME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Clutch slipping?

Spyder Garage

Hi.

Not sure since it is a semi auto so no traditional shifting

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First Check the engine oil level...

Spyder Garage

First up...the (SE) is actually a manual transmission that has computer controlled shifting and a computer controlled WET clutch....

Who did the oil change ?....

As all Spyders have a WET clutch and need motorcycle oil...(motorcycle oils do not have friction modifiers)
    If by chance car oil has been used..(car oils DO have friction modifiers).. witch can destroy a motorcycle clutch..(causers the clutch to slip)...
    2017 F3s-Daytona...After market top-box,- Diy Sports rack,- Diy Windshield & brackets - Sena 20s,- Shad side cases,- Drivers backrest,- 660 Garmin,- Altimate floor boards, - Diy Belt Guard, - Sinister Exhaust,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When shifting are you letting off the gas? You shouldn't, just punch the shift paddles. It could be the front sprocket not catching due to a problem?
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

You need to get it to the dealer. I would say if it has BRP correct factory oil you ethier have an auto clutch problem or the front pulley stripped out. Ethier one is warranted. If different oil was used other than motorcycle oil that could be a problem.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Semi or no semi auto it still has a clutch.

Take it to the dealer and have it checked out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    You need to get it to the dealer. I would say if it has BRP correct factory oil you ethier have an auto clutch problem or the front pulley stripped out. Ethier one is warranted. If different oil was used other than motorcycle oil that could be a problem.
    Hi,

I brought in to the dealer for service as they did the oil change less than a month ago. It is still under warranty and they suspect a burnt clutch. I don't let off the throttle when shifting as I prefer a steady acceleration or at most punch it and cycle up to 6th on open roads or highways.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....for sure.

It does look like a clutch problem and if it is due to the oil or other malfuction they need to take care of it. Let us know what they say the problem is and what may have caused it. On the older twins clutches could go out from running to low on the RPM's but modifications were made going to a hydraulic system...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Had the same problem earlier this season just before my first oil change. Very sporadic, took it to the dealer they couldn't make it happen. Changed the oil twice since it started it now has 8000 miles on it. Left it at the dealer a month ago and gave up fall riding to have it fixed for the spring. They haven't even ridden it yet and we have had some really great days! I'm going to get on their case before the snow flies. I don't care if they keep it for the winter I just want it fixed for the spring! Mine "slips" while riding happens very quickly don't usually lose much speed because it only happens form 1 to 5 seconds at a time. Definitely strange but I have gone 5k since it started with many long trips. Does seem to becoming more consistent that is why I finally took it back to the dealer. 2018 F3L

Spyder Garage

I got an update from the dealer as they are able to recreate the issue, they mentioned it was a solenoid problem and they are waiting on BRP to tell them if they will replace the parts or whatever. I just want my ride back in good working order and soon so my wife and I could enjoy our rides to coffee shops and bagel runs.

Spyder Garage

The spyder is still at the shop and they are telling me the O Rings failed and that later wrecked the selenoids. Sounds like a major repair to the transmission components as per the dealer they are following BRP guidelines but I miss my ride, its been almost a month and still waiting

Spyder Garage

Hope you get it back soon, in good working order!!!! Good Luck!!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The infamous reliability spyder bites again. No wonder some folks are nervous and worried when leaving home on their trike.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.