Spyder Garage

Default Increased MPG on Ryker Rally.

I've realized recently that my MPG has increased about 2 to 3 MPG. I've seen 37.1 to 40.1 at the widest margin. I most often use 87 octane and use ECO mode 90% of the time. I haven't changed my driving habits. I enjoy just cruising out on county roads at about 40mph. I'm wondering if the cooler weather here in Northern Illinois has anything to do with it. I have never heard that fuel pump? whine in the warmer temps. either. Has anyone else seen an increase in your MPG sense the cool temps. moved in.

Spyder Garage

I have seen gains in mileage similar to what you are writing about, canamryder. I don't think that it is primarily temperature related but more just the motor "loosening up" a bit. It seems like from about the 2k mile mark, the motor just revs a little more freely and my MPG has increased about 10%.
    Riding in Southern Oklahoma, I am sure enjoying the cooler temps though! I never had the fuel pump whine either. No problems AT ALL so far.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LandSurveyor View Post
    I have seen gains in mileage similar to what you are writing about, canamryder. I don't think that it is primarily temperature related but more just the motor "loosening up" a bit. It seems like from about the 2k mile mark, the motor just revs a little more freely and my MPG has increased about 10%.
    Riding in Southern Oklahoma, I am sure enjoying the cooler temps though! I never had the fuel pump whine either. No problems AT ALL so far.
    You're probably correct! I have 2700 miles on my Rally now. She's been one sweet machine also. (build date 10/18. Purchase date 7/19)

Spyder Garage

I have just about 2500 miles on mine. I have always seen 29-35 mpg on the first 2000 miles but my last few fill ups has been 40-42 mpg. So far its been great experience owning my Ryker Rally. I am in NJ ride year around as long as temperatures are above 15*F and no snow on the roads.

Spyder Garage

Mine also improves a little depending on weather, but I gave up using eco mode. In some cases it seemed to use more gas than normal mode. I have hills and curves at highway speeds every time I ride. While I do see decreased power in eco mode the gas savings don't seem to be there. It is also true on my Honda civic. Maybe on long stretches on straight roads it might work better. Have fun on it!

Spyder Garage

Scientifically Cold Weather decreases vehicle mileage- Google it? Must be the additional miles and engine break-in.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Scientifically Cold Weather decreases vehicle mileage- Google it? Must be the additional miles and engine break-in.
    I don't use G%$#)e, but I may search engine it.

Spyder Garage

I know with a new snowmobile they have the computer on board mess with carburation for the first 500 -800 miles, after that the computer will lean her out to a different level and you do see a change in performance and mileage!! Maybe that's what's going on.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    That may be based on the additives used to keep gas from freezing up in the colder locales which tend to knock the performance down some.

Typically though, cooler air does give a denser air/fuel mixture for cars. Would it be the same for other engines?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    That may be based on the additives used to keep gas from freezing up in the colder locales which tend to knock the performance down some.

Typically though, cooler air does give a denser air/fuel mixture for cars. Would it be the same for other engines?
    I know that my 15 different jetskies All ran about 40-60 rpm higher in the early summer temps and cold water than when the air is thin in the summer heat . Higher air density increases power BUT decreases mileage and the amount is modified by the computer.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!