Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker canister-ectomy???

Ok Folks, I’m tired of getting the run around about the howling noise that my Rally sometimes makes, usually when temperatures are hot and fuel gauge around half, that some dealerships are replacing fuel pumps and other dealerships saying they can’t fix the problem if they can’t duplicate it while at their shop, even though I have videos of it howling. So I figured I’d study the situation and came up with an idea. I don’t think it’s a fuel pump because when I turn the power on I can hear the pump run for a few seconds then stop as it should and it runs fine and never seems like it is starving for fuel. I think the fuel vapor canister and the line leaving it that runs through a pressure valve may be the issue. After all, it is a mono tone sound that could be produced from the emissions system. If we got rid of the emissions system maybe we would get rid of the problem that some of the dealerships deny or can’t figure a fix for. It’s a shame that we have to deal with this situation and possibly have to eliminate the emissions system. IMHO, BRP should get this situation resolved so we can keep our emissions systems as required by law. Just a thought but what do you think?

Spyder Garage

My Dealer replaced my fuel pump.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did that fix the issue? Or has the weather turned cooler and maybe won’t know until next summer when temperatures heat up again? I’m just not sure. Thanks, cueman

Spyder Garage

I highly dought the problem is in the Emission System. The object you are calling a pressure valve is actually called a purge valve. It is opened by the ECU and thru the engine, the vacuum sucks the gas fumes into the throttle body. You cannot remove the purge valve because it will give you an error code. The only reason for canister-ectomy was to stop oil from being sucked into the airbox on the 998 V-Twin engines.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Doc, yes the purge valve is correct. In an article that I read about the 998 it referenced that by blocking the line just before the purge valve that the valve would still open and close and only the fuel vapor canister was to be removed and the line going to it be disconnected and run to the rear with a simple fuel filter higher than where the line comes off the gas tank. Hope this makes sense. cueman. Also, I just don’t understand how the fuel pump could make the noise I’m hearing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From what I've been told it has something to do with the fuel pump vent design. I've also been told that BRP now has a redesigned pump that solves the issue. I have no idea when those pumps might be available or if its even true. Once temps dropped I have had no fuel pump whine at all. When I did have the whine it was only with low fuel (below half) and higher temps.

Not something I'm worried about unless the pump fails. If it fails then its replaced under warranty (this is why the extended BEST warranty is worth it). No big deal. There was a person on this forum that replaced his failed pump himself. Replacement pump was $80. Unfortunately when you buy the OEM pump you are buying a whole assembly (not just the pump) so the cost is like $400 for parts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Rob, I hope BRP does have a new design fuel pump for the Ryker but where mine was checked never heard of this issue and other dealers that I called had no idea either. Yet some have replaced the fuel pump on others. Either way BRP and the dealerships need to get their stuff together. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy my Rally and if there are a few 1st year bugs in it not a big deal. Just get on the ball and resolve the issues and inform the dealerships and the people that bought them. IMO they need to all get on the same page. cueman

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    I highly dought the problem is in the Emission System. The object you are calling a pressure valve is actually called a purge valve. It is opened by the ECU and thru the engine, the vacuum sucks the gas fumes into the throttle body. You cannot remove the purge valve because it will give you an error code. The only reason for canister-ectomy was to stop oil from being sucked into the airbox on the 998 V-Twin engines.
    ….. But to the best of my knowledge the " canister-ectomy " had to do with " FUEL SMELL ". Baja-Ron has recently re-posted what He finally did to His V-twin ( added a gas filter ) to prevent oil from going up into the air-box..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Hi Rob, I hope BRP does have a new design fuel pump for the Ryker but where mine was checked never heard of this issue and other dealers that I called had no idea either. Yet some have replaced the fuel pump on others. Either way BRP and the dealerships need to get their stuff together. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy my Rally and if there are a few 1st year bugs in it not a big deal. Just get on the ball and resolve the issues and inform the dealerships and the people that bought them. IMO they need to all get on the same page. cueman
    I agree that we should all have the same info (customers and dealers). I believe BRP has not given customers info about the pump (or anything really, wheel nuts, brake leak, coolant leak, etc) because...Only some customers have the issue. If a customer doesn't have an issue there is no problem. If the customer has a problem then BRP diagnosis and decides what to do from there. That's pretty typical for all manufacturers unless there is a recall of some sort. Dealers are dealers. Some are great, "on the ball" dealers that care about customer service. Others are not. If a dealer wants info about a fuel pump issue (or any issue on a Ryker or Spyder, etc) I'm sure its available to them from BRP. The dealer is going to have to do a bit of research though and for some that just doesn't happen. Dealers pay big $ to be part of the BRP parts and service web and that gives them access to lots of info.

I think sometimes lack of info is the dealers fault and others times its on BRP. It would be great if BRP could somehow hold all their dealers to the same standard of service, info, etc but that will never happen. Having owned many BRP products and powersports products from other manufacturer's I have come to learn some things.

It's good to know how to do a little wrenching yourself

The quality of your dealer plays a LARGE part in your overall experience with the product.

Ride the damn thing, don't worry about little stuff until it becomes big stuff and then let the dealer handle it. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands

Extended factory warranties (which I never buy expect on powersports products... lots of times they are free if you pre-order) are worth every bit of the $650 they charge for them.

I'm not trying to downplay your feelings or issues. I've had my fair share over the years and it can be frustrating. You pay $ for a product and you want to (and should) feel like you got your monies worth. Nothing wrong with that.

Best advice I can give someone I guess is find the best dealer you can in the amount of miles you are willing to travel. It's probably worth it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Did that fix the issue? Or has the weather turned cooler and maybe won’t know until next summer when temperatures heat up again? I’m just not sure. Thanks, cueman
    I think that will be the case.

Spyder Garage

I had the fuel pump whining at least once a week when it was hot--a couple of times when there was still close to a full tank. Now that temps have dropped, the sound has gone away. I won't be surprised if it comes back next summer--but my ride has never felt starved for fuel so I'm just happy to keep riding.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

It does seem to be the fuel pump. I have a video clip I made when I went to start the Ryker after sitting in the sun all day long. In the video, when I press the Engine Start Button then flip the Engine Stop Switch to on, the pump starts to whine before I twist the throttle forward to activate the starting system.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think we are talking about two different noises. Yes, when I hit the button the first time I can hear the fuel pump run for just a few seconds and once pressure is built up it stops as it should. The howling mono tone noise sounds to me like the fuel fumes canister that has a hose going to a purge valve that may be leaking making this noise. This on my Rally usually happens on hot days with about half tank of gas. I’ve also had it happen with full tank. I’ve even had it happen before the engine was warmed up. I guess I don’t know for sure but I don’t feel so bad because it seems many dealerships don’t know either. cueman