Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT 2013 Owners - did the Recalls fix the issues?

I just bought a 2013 RT Limited from a dealer with very low miles and all recalls done. I have since read nothing but horror stories. Did the recalls actually fix the issues. Are there any current 2013 owners out there who can tell me their experience? I have put around 300 miles on in the week since I bought it with absolutely no issues but then again it is fall time...not summer. Any insights or advice?

Spyder Garage

I've only had mine a shot time.
    As I understand it, the recalls fixed the problems.
    I've not seen more that the usual horror stories.
    Ride on brother!

Spyder Garage

I don't have a 2013, but read many of the relevant threads. It does very much sound like the 2013's that had the retrofit done (they basically added an air scoop to the front) have been doing fine since, and that the lower resale value that resulted from the issue may have been to your benefit. The period between the release and the retrofit was a difficult time for many, but to my knowledge there hasn't been anything like that before or since, and people stopped posting about ongoing issues after the recalls were done.

Welcome to the family, and you'll love your Spyder.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The first recall was a Band Aid and really did nothing. My 13 went up in flames in August of 13 and the first recall was issued in October of 13. Sometime in 14 a 13 that had the recall work done also went up in flames, this prompted an investigation by NHTSA into all years of the Spyders and then the second recall was issued. I believe that this recall took care of the problems.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Last year I bought a beautiful, like new, 2012 RT LTD with less than 4,000 original miles. after about 200 miles it started throwing the P0714 code, which is related to a lean condition. I took it to the shop and they replaced the battery, thinking it was due to low voltage. 200 or so miles later the check engine light and flashing red display returned. I took it back to the shop and they replaced the evap. canister. 200 miles later, same result. Returned it to the shop to have vacuum lines replaced. When I went to pick it up, they could not even get it started. At that point, the wife and I had lost all confidence in the bike, so we traded it for a new 2018 RTL. Had we not bought the original Spyder to replace our GL1800 Goldwing for talking trips out of state, I might have continued trying to sort out the problem with the 2012. So far, with almost 9,000 miles, the 2018 has been trouble free, with the exception of the parking brake becoming stuck on. The parking brake motor and cable were replaced under warranty and so far, no further problems.
    I really liked the 2012, and if not for the problems I experienced, I would still be riding it. Some on this forum knock the 998 v-twins, but I found mine to be a good performer, even 2-up.

Spyder Garage

I am the original owner of a 2013 RTL with almost 10,000 miles on it and while the first couple of years were rough while they worked through the heat issues, once the scoops were installed my heat issues were largely mitigated.

Spyder Garage

Horror stories?! Nope, not getting it? But maybe I'm one of the (silent majority??) Lucky Ones?!

Why, you may well ask?! Let me just explain....

Well, right up front I probably should make it clear that 1). I'm in Aust where EVERYTHING is sorta hot for a good part of the year, so 'engine/bike heat problems' aren't quite the issue here that they may be elsewhere - 'heat' is only relevent when the ambient temp is lower than the engine heat; and 2). I bought my 2013 RT Ltd fairly late in 2013, once I realised that was gonna be the end of the 998 RT's, cos there was no bleedin' way I was gonna get suckered inta being a 'beta tester' for any first model Spyder sporting a brand new engine, nor settle for that sooo lazy 1330 motor either, despite the great low down torque & the (slightly...) improved touring range - especially after ryding the much more sprightly & excitingly responsive V-Twin!! Still, I've never experienced any of the heat issues others complain about (but I did let BRP fit the scoops for the recall ); I got all the same Brembo brakes, frame, & the suspension alignment & upgrades that the 2014's got in my 2013; and it's a lighter and peppier bike too - especially after you toss that dirty great restrictive lump of a 'primary muffler/cat converter' & get the ECU upgraded to remove at least some of the 'detuned by BRP to keep the lowest common denominator ryders safe' flat spots & restrictions!! However, getting that ECU out to get the upgrade done properly was no mean feat, cos the 'frame already prepared for the 1330 engine' didn't quite handle the reversion to stuff the longer V-Twin back in the wider & shorter hole all that wonderfully; but I still don't think that was enough of an issue to swing the decision towards a 1330....

And now, over 60,000km of mainly bloody enjoyable ryding later, I'm still having a blast!! Sure, running the hi-beam lights all day at slow speeds on a 50° C plus day with a LOT of heat reflecting back from the (already melting) asphalt road surface did burn 'focus spot' holes in the poly 'glass' lenses (replaced under warranty & followed by LED globe replacements) but you won't be likely to experience too much of that over there; and I have fitted a skid plate, a sway bar upgrade, proper tires all round, and the BajaRon Front Shock Adjusters in addition to the ECU Upgrade; but this 2013 RT Ltd of mine is still an Absobloodylutely exciting Spyder to ryde in the twisties (even with my speed freak rev-head missus on the back!) while still being a bloody great & relaxed tourer (which btw, has almost the same touring range as the 1330's, after the ECU upgrade improved things & lets me hold 5th a lot longer - IF you can just resist twisting the throttle too hard! )

And yeah, a 2020 RT Ltd might look pretty interesting right now (what with not actually having seen it 'in the flesh' yet... or even likely all that soon here Down Under!) but unless all the BRP Connect issues, the DESS's random tendency to fail, and all those other 'Ship Stoppers' & niggles like the parking brake lock-ups, the random VSS activation issues, and the lack of a good & easy to use stereo &/or stereo volume, etc, etc get resolved, then I really think my 2013 RT Ltd is still likely to be good for another 60,000 or more kms! And I'm still feelin' it!

So what horror stories are you talking about?! I got nothing but WHOO WHEE, YAHOO, & Miles of Smiles keepin' on coming!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2019 at 03:05 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We put 62000 completely trouble free miles on out 2013 RTL. We drove it from California to Valcourt Quebec Canada, without one single issue. Get on it, ryde it and don't look back. You will love the ryde! If not for a killer deal on a 2018 RTL we wouls still be ryding it!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

My 2013 RT-S has 51k miles. Once air scoops were installed and melted evaporator canister was replaced all has been good. Enjoy the ride!

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaskat View Post
    I just bought a 2013 RT Limited from a dealer with very low miles and all recalls done. I have since read nothing but horror stories. Did the recalls actually fix the issues. Are there any current 2013 owners out there who can tell me their experience? I have put around 300 miles on in the week since I bought it with absolutely no issues but then again it is fall time...not summer. Any insights or advice?
    There were horror stories about the 2013 for a couple years. I waited until 2014 and became a "beta tester" for the new 1330 three engine. So far, so good. I am also the owner of a 2011 998 RT. No problems or issues with that one either.

That said...most on here are now posting that they are very happy with their 2013's once the BRP scoops were installed. Previous heat issues, in most cases, were solved by the scoops.

The problem behind the heat issue...2013 was supposed to be the introduction year of the 1330. Issues with the 1330 caused that not to happen. 998's were retrofitted into the new 1330 frame and ended up causing heat issues. A couple fires, and the rest is history.

Most that have purchased 1330's are very happy with them. My 14 RT-S had 35K and still running well.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaskat View Post
    The 2013 RT was a bit of a cobbled together product. Not that it isn't a good machine. BRP intended to put the 1330 in the 2013 RT. But they didn't get there. So they made some quick modifications and put the 998 V-Twin in that model. They cut some corners that they should not have. Simple things actually. Then they tried to cut corners again on the 1st recall. That didn't go well at all. BRP finally stepped up to the plate with the 2nd recall. And, as far as I know, the minor issues which created major problems were finally corrected.

You should get great service from your 2013 RT as long as the 2nd recall was done. I would ride, enjoy and not worry. Because of all the bad press the 2013 models received, they tend to be a real bargain. Yet they have been very reliable since the fix was implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Insyder View Post
    Last year I bought a beautiful, like new, 2012 RT LTD with less than 4,000 original miles. after about 200 miles it started throwing the P0714 code, which is related to a lean condition. I took it to the shop and they replaced the battery, thinking it was due to low voltage. 200 or so miles later the check engine light and flashing red display returned. I took it back to the shop and they replaced the evap. canister. 200 miles later, same result. Returned it to the shop to have vacuum lines replaced. When I went to pick it up, they could not even get it started. At that point, the wife and I had lost all confidence in the bike, so we traded it for a new 2018 RTL. Had we not bought the original Spyder to replace our GL1800 Goldwing for talking trips out of state, I might have continued trying to sort out the problem with the 2012. So far, with almost 9,000 miles, the 2018 has been trouble free, with the exception of the parking brake becoming stuck on. The parking brake motor and cable were replaced under warranty and so far, no further problems.
    I really liked the 2012, and if not for the problems I experienced, I would still be riding it. Some on this forum knock the 998 v-twins, but I found mine to be a good performer, even 2-up.
    Your problem with the 2012 was the dealership, not the vehicle. They wasted their time with their shotgun approach to the problem. It is a shame and not your fault. Sad...
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-21-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

We owned 2 2013RTs. Mine was a heat and fumes nightmare from the day I brought it home. BRP spent the better part of 2 years denying there was a problem. I spent a great deal of time, money and aggravation trying to alleviate some of its shortcomings...and then test rode the brand new F3 in 2015. The RT was gone that day. This was before the 2nd recall and during the time of the various fires.

Louise owned the second one, same fixes and it finally got the recall. Things went from bad (uncomfortable and stinky) to worse (dead on the side of the road) Multiple failures, multiple long tows back to the dealer, multiple failed attempts to fix. Then when we wanted to trade it in and be over it, dealer told us "we don't want your piece of crap at any price". Yeah it was a great experience. The bike did finally get fixed, dealer had messed up the main wiring harness as part of the recall revisions. They were significant and the harness chaffed. Once replace the bike ran ok and we traded it in at the Ford dealer after trying to sell it well below market value for over 6 months.

Every 2013 out there has be significantly modified by a dealer tech from the way it was built. The bike had significant design defects when new. I tell any customer that will listen to avoid 2013 models at all cost. If price is a real concern, 2011 and 2012s are far more reliable bikes. The 2013s deserve every ounce of bad reputation they have earned. Been there and lived through it. Have the 5 figure loss to prove it.

Love my F3 but doubt I will ever really forgive BRP for the awful way they treated 2013 owners and the losses they suffered.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default There you have it....

The frame mods for the 1330 that did not become available did make for a hasty patch job to re-fit the 998 engine. The reports on the fires were blasted all over and so many time that yes it would seem that everyone was or would catch fire. Many reports and pictures came from different sources but were the same units. In fact if you check there were very few that did and though pokey at best they did fix the problem and they are out there and doiing well till today. If all the mods were done you will have a great ryde.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

have a ‘13 rt-s I picked up used with low miles..... The air scoop mod was done and haven’t had any heat related problems..... If you want heat related, try a H-D Electra glide....bumper to bumper on I-95 in Miami in August......

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We bought our 2013 with barely 6000 miles on it in 2016. Read all the comments about the heat issues and the admonishments not to get one. We made sure that all recalls had been done and decided to get it.

Well, we now have over 24000 miles on it and the heat issues have never materialized. The only problem was a shorted stator that was replaced under warranty. My wife and I love our Spyder and would do it all over again, given the chance.

One thing that I feel that has caused some of the comments about the heat is the fact that folks are straddling an internal combustion engine that is pretty much totally covered. It is going to be hot in the summer! My wife and I always wear our jackets and helmets when we ride.......no exceptions. That means no flip flops and no shorts.

Ride yours and enjoy it! Don't worry about what could or may happen! If you do life will pass you by while you worry about something that will probably never affect you.

Did I say we love our 2013?
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Was it only the RTs that had the heat issues? What did they actually do to fix the heat problems? Was it only the vents near the mirrors? Was it an official recall worldwide as I have had people say it was only if you requested it out here? Have seen a few 2013s while looking and would like to know what to look for. Thanks.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RT-S with around 9000 miles. Put 3300 of those miles on this last summer traveling through Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota. I have not experienced any reliability issues with my bike. The 998 engine is known to use oil (my biggest complaint) so you may want to keep some on hand if you take a long trip.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

Love my 2013 RS!
    Love my 2018 Ducati Panigale V4 and my Harleys too, The Ducati and Harleys are very hot on your legs and bottom in the summer until you give them some fuel and timing.

Spyder Garage

well, you should have read the "horror stories" maybe before you pulled the trigger ?
    But also,,, the whiners are the one's that make the most noise, Enjoy the ryde, and welcome to the club .
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2013 RT last June and have put over 10K miles on it. No issues other than having to add brake fluid when I got the common brake failure error message.
    Gary

US Army Vietnam era vet

2023 Can Am F3
    2020 Can Am Ryker 900 ACE (traded)
    2013 Can Am Spyder RT SE5 (traded)
    2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (sold)
    2012 Honda NC700X (sold)
    2012 Honda CBR250 (sold)

States visited on 2 or 3

2020 900 Ace , Black on black

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2013 RTL new and have put 40k miles on it including a trip to Alaska, I have had only one small problem with it. It has been an excellent machine. My wife is now riding it and I have bought a 2018 RTL, now over 11k miles with only on minor problem that was fixed quickly.
    Love my Spyders and am having a ball riding them.

Spyder Garage

I purchased a 2013 with 7700 kms on it. All recalls had been done, including the addition of air scoops to deal with heat issues. I have put on over 3500 kms since then, including riding it in very hot temperatures in the Okanagan of BC. No concerns or problems....touch wood. I hear all these horror stories on this forum, but in all honestly, I am not too worried. Just my 2 cents worth. From what I can tell, every model year has people complaining about something.
    2013 RT , Aluminum Spyder Brake Pedal Magnesium

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

OK, me too.
    We have a 13 ST SE5 bought brand new. Currently have 46k miles on it. Like others, once the heat issue and the brake switch was fixed, all was well. Well almost. The '13s had a terrible suspension. I replaced with Elka stage 2 and have never looked back. No intentions of replacing this bike as it just runs fine. I just finished a week on the Ohio Windy 9, mostly in 3rd gear and had a blast. The bike and engine is basically sound. Just go out and ryde.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I bought a 2013 Spyder RT Limited with 16K miles on it. The scoops are there so it appears all recalls had been done. We did the AZ Teams training for 3 wheel motorcycle in August so it go a little hot here in Phoenix. Hot enough that the engine threw an over heating code. But it continued to perform well and we got thru the course just fine. I picked up a lot of good tips since my 2 wheel motorcycle days. And my wife got her 3 wheel endorsement so she can drive and I can ride in the B seat. The only real problem has been the dreaded 50MPH vibration with the stock tires. I just purchased 3 new tires and hope to have them put on in a couple weeks. Otherwise no problems, just great riding.
    2013 RT , Copper