Thread: Sticking brake

Spyder Garage

Default Sticking brake

Anyone have an issue with a front brake sticking? It is my understanding the electric parking brakes have been a huge issue on 2018 RT Limited models which is what we have, 2 of them. But I also believe the parking brake only impacts the back tire? Mine sadly has on 3-4 occasions had the nanny kick on for no apparent reason. Yesterday we took a short ride for lunch of about 40 miles and came home around a local lake for a scenic ride back. Stopped to check the map, and upon pulling back out on the road, the nanny kicked in with a vengeance. After about 10 seconds I could smell burnt brakes, and the right front brake was smoking a bit. Pulled over, shut it down for a couple of minutes, started it back up and other than the knowledge of screwing up my front right brake, everything remained fine the rest of the way home, probably 20+ miles.

I never thought about the brakes being the reason for the nanny kicking in previously, but that makes perfect sense to me now. The previous incidents were not on curves etc. Couple of times it happened on slow turns onto a road, so I just kind of chalked it up to over active nanny. I suspect now it was the brake sticking and just never got to that point it did yesterday.

Anyone else, or any other ideas?

Spyder Garage

The manuals say nothing about periodic lubrication of cables or linkage. I have been riding motorcycles all my life and if you don't occasionally put some cable lube down the cables and lube the linkages, the cables do not last very long. It might be a maintenance procedure that Can Am overlooked. On the open road and low mileage it may not matter, but in dusty or dirty conditions and conditions that cause crud to stick to some of the surfaces, cleaning around the cable ends and using a non-sticky silicone cable lube might extend the life of the cables.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Where to start....

seeing as the pressure is even to both fronts I would start with the caliper. Check the piston for grim or such that would keep it from retracting when pressure is released. Check the pin/pins the pads slide on for any grooves the pads can get hung up on. Slip a similar diameter metal plate between the pads and apply the brakes and see if the piston retracts when wiggling the plate. You may also flush the caliper out in case of any blockage....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    seeing as the pressure is even to both fronts I would start with the caliper. Check the piston for grim or such that would keep it from retracting when pressure is released. Check the pin/pins the pads slide on for any grooves the pads can get hung up on. Slip a similar diameter metal plate between the pads and apply the brakes and see if the piston retracts when wiggling the plate. You may also flush the caliper out in case of any blockage....
    X3 Also check if for codes. Whatever it is logged in the history & need BUDS to see it. For it to only be the one side something else is wonky nanny doesn’t kick for nothing

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Brembos are post mount, and have no floating pins or ways for the caliper to guide on. Caliper is rigidly mounted to the upright.

At a guess, sounds like a failed brake caliper. Possibly a bad hose or pinched hose. Unlikely it is the ABS anti skid controller, but anything is possible.

Spyder Garage

Are not the front brakes on separate hydraulic circuits from the ABS/VSS/nanny unit?

There have been issues reported here of similar erratic behaviour
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.