Spyder Garage

Default Help needed please

Hello Spyder community. I am in need of some help. I have a 2017 F3T and recently my left saddlebag would not open. It feels like nothing is engaging the latch. I have tried everything. Finally took it to dealer and after their tech had to call into BRP they finally got it. I picked it up, it worked, so I headed home. Got home and went to open it up and nothing. UGH! Back to the dealer and after a bit they give me the ol we cant get it open so sorry for your luck bit. They said they created a “case” with BRP. Well, BRP said there is nothing they can do either... since I am 1 month out of my warranty. So all of that to ask if anyone knows a way to get it open? They are the factory saddlebags that come on the F3T. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Have you taken it to a locksmith? That's the first thing I would do.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I have not tried that approach. The locking mechanism is working fine. It’s when it is unlocked it doesn’t release the door when opened which makes me think it is internal with the latch itself.

Spyder Garage

Look at the hinges and see if there is a way to maybe cut the hinge pin end off with something like a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel. If you can cut the pins and get them out of the hinges, you will be able to open it from the hinge side and not damage the latch any more than it already is. Once you get it open and repair or replace the latch, the hinge pins will be simple enough to replace.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

My 2014 RT had similar issues early on. It required an adjusting of the cable and that fixed it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking

If the proper adjustment does not help you may need a new latch system. I am not familiar with this but from the parts list on cheapcycleparts.com the latch system is $104.99 and the control unit is $32.99 and it could be one or both.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I will look into this idea. I did think about this earlier but if I could pop the hinges out of the bottom that I could pull the cover from the bottom out enough that I could possibly get my hand up in there and release the latch.

Spyder Garage

I would be perfectly fine with this as an option as well. My problem is the dealer is telling me all they can do is break it open, which leaves me buying a new saddlebag for that side. It just amazes me that the dealer has no idea how to solve this. Ugh! Customer service these days is out the window and piss poor at best.

Spyder Garage

Chupaca, any idea where I can find instructions for an F3T on how to adjust the cable myself?

Spyder Garage

There is no cable on the F3T.
    Remove the rear seat. Remove the 2 pushpins, remove the fender cover. Use a small punch, and remove the latch pin. Remove the latch. Use needlenose pliers to tug the arm to open the bag. Call me if you want me to walk you thru it. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Thanks Joe. I will try this out in the next day or so and let you know how it goes. Do you think i need to have the latch replaced or is there some other type adjustment that can be made to prevent it from happening again?

Spyder Garage

Once you get it open, see if it is broken, or just slipped apart. If so, put it back together and test it. You can push the two catches in and test it by pulling on the lever. If they pop open, close it and try the lever. I’m in Texas today. Houston area; Pearland. If you are nearby, bring it over!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydrdan View Post
    Hello Spyder community. I am in need of some help. I have a 2017 F3T and recently my left saddlebag would not open. It feels like nothing is engaging the latch. I have tried everything. Finally took it to dealer and after their tech had to call into BRP they finally got it. I picked it up, it worked, so I headed home. Got home and went to open it up and nothing. UGH! Back to the dealer and after a bit they give me the ol we cant get it open so sorry for your luck bit. They said they created a “case” with BRP. Well, BRP said there is nothing they can do either... since I am 1 month out of my warranty. So all of that to ask if anyone knows a way to get it open? They are the factory saddlebags that come on the F3T. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    You said your Spyder is one (1) month out of warranty. It sounds like you may have brought this problem to the dealer BEFORE the warranty expired and they didn't get it fixed. If so, you are still covered until they DO get it fixed. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) says: "if you reported a defect to the company during the warranty period and the product wasn't fixed properly, the company must correct the problem, even if your warranty expires before the product is fixed." See https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0252-warranties
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately Johnsimion I did not notify the dealer before the warranty expired. It actually happened after. My biggest complaint is how they handled it, the dealership and BRP. I am more than willing to pay someone to fix the problem but what I was told was they needed to break the saddle bag in order to get it open. Not “hey here is a problem I haven’t come across before. Let’s figure it out”, because there is never a one time only problem. I cannot imagine that is truly the case after receiving the helpful information from some of the guys above on how to get it open. Joe’s response seems to be extremely detailed and I have no reason to doubt him. After all he did create the wedgies, which I have purchased, I just have not had the chance to follow his instructions as of yet. Thanks for the suggestion though. Finding out everyone is super helpful in this Spyder community.