Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Will this fit with no hassle? Terminals etc?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2024 at 02:51 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tekslk View Post
    Will this fit with no hassle? Terminals etc?
    What battery in which post are you referring to? It helps a lot if you quote the post you are specifically responding to. (You can use the Reply with Quote button down the bottom of the applicable post to do this.)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2024 at 02:51 PM. Reason: added Reply with Quote info ;-)

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I was told by some experienced people that I trust, not to go with a lithium. Granted, there have been some issues with them. But being the kind of guy I am, I didn't listen to them. This is the battery I got and I am EXTREMELY pleased with it. I think it is awesome!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is much smaller than the OEM battery so I don't have to wedge it into the very tight space allowed. It weighs almost nothing and delivers more power than the OEM battery. Lithium is supposed to last longer too. Have only had it for 6 months so can't say there.

There isn't anything special you need to do for it except you'll need a good Lithium battery charger. Do not use a charger that is not designed for lithium batteries.
    My wife has the MMG Lithium battery in her 2018 F3L. Going on 5 yrs old still working strong
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2024 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Removed Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Out of curiosity, Besides Mikey, Dunkin and Idaho, everyone that has posted lives in warmer areas and doesn’t hibernate their spyders very long if at all. Living in the the snow belts and receiving 140-170 plus inches a year ( not this year of course) but colder on the average of 25 degrees all January 30’s in February, how does the Lithium hold up if put into hibernation in cold environment that long and not used? ( I’m talking November to mid late April) I have buddies who can’t leave their electric lawnmowers and chainsaws in the shed but need to have it heated all winter because the batteries are toast come spring even tendered. Heck, Dewalt suggests not leaving them out unused all winter in an unheated environment . I know these are a bit different as in size and battery packs but Just curious on your thoughts. I know this is an old thread but sort of relevant. How does Litho hold up over long winter hibernation, I’m talking 6 months worth not used and in or below 30’s most of the time? Yes electric cars do work all winter but they are being used not hibernating. If that is the case are we to take the battery out every winter and store inside? Seems to be a lot of fires on the news from lithium inside houses causing the fire.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 02-13-2023 at 12:18 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Always maintaining a Li-ion battery in a fully charged condition will shorten its lifespan.
    So how your mmg battery have done all this Years?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Out of curiosity, Besides Mikey, Dunkin and Idaho, everyone that has posted lives in warmer areas and doesn’t hibernate their spyders very long if at all. Living in the the snow belts and receiving 140-170 plus inches a year ( not this year of course) but colder on the average of 25 degrees all January 30’s in February, how does the Lithium hold up if put into hibernation in cold environment that long and not used? ( I’m talking November to mid late April) I have buddies who can’t leave their electric lawnmowers and chainsaws in the shed but need to have it heated all winter because the batteries are toast come spring even tendered. Heck, Dewalt suggests not leaving them out unused all winter in an unheated environment . I know these are a bit different as in size and battery packs but Just curious on your thoughts. I know this is an old thread but sort of relevant. How does Litho hold up over long winter hibernation, I’m talking 6 months worth not used and in or below 30’s most of the time? Yes electric cars do work all winter but they are being used not hibernating. If that is the case are we to take the battery out every winter and store inside? Seems to be a lot of fires on the news from lithium inside houses causing the fire.
    Old post, but maybe this will help some people. From OH and stationed in CA. I have litium in most of my bikes. This includes two stored in OH for when I am home on leave. They get started when my daughter remembers to go to the storage unit and do so. Guess how often that is. Well after a year in cold temps and no starts my 2005 Sportster 1200R (carb'd so long start cycle) started right up this last Feb without issue after letting the key sit in the one position for 2 minutes. The lights got brighter to let me know the battery had warmed up. My daughter's little CBR250 did the same at the same time despite being put away in Sept. Hope that helps.

Now the the factory battery in my wifey's 2013 ST-L is going, I stumbled across this researching putting one in her Yike as well.
    I ride to feel free
    I vote to stay free
    I serve to be free

2013 Spyder ST-L 15k miles
    2013 ST-L , White

Spyder Garage

One advantage of non-lithium batteries over lithium is that you will see signs of a weakening battery so that it can be replaced before it is a problem leaving you stranded. With a lithium battery, as I understand it, if it fails it happens without warning and that could be a problem if far from your garage. Also, lithium batteries are more likely to explode and burn than non-lithium batteries. And less expensive. For now, I will just stick with the type of battery that the vehicle comes with from the factory, replacing it when needed with a like battery.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What I found doing a Google search about storing lithium batteries in temperatures below 32°F is that will shorten their life significantly. Recommendation is don't do it. 32°F is cited as a specific number, not an approximation. Of course storing, IMO, doesn't mean letting it sit for days or maybe a few weeks and then using it every once in awhile.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    One advantage of non-lithium batteries over lithium is that you will see signs of a weakening battery so that it can be replaced before it is a problem leaving you stranded. With a lithium battery, as I understand it, if it fails it happens without warning and that could be a problem if far from your garage. Also, lithium batteries are more likely to explode and burn than non-lithium batteries. And less expensive. For now, I will just stick with the type of battery that the vehicle comes with from the factory, replacing it when needed with a like battery.
    Over the years, I had a couple lead acid batteries fail without warning, but only one AGM type.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

2014 RTS, replaced the failed Yuasa battery with a Shorai LiFePo4 type lithium battery. No changes to the charging system.

Accomplished all verifications per the Shorai instructions. Spyders charging output was well within the Shorai required voltage range. When new, the Shorai battery was fully charged using the Shorai brand charger. Static voltage was monitored over several days for the installed resting battery. No issues of battery drain or voltage falling off below specified values.

After the initial full charge with the Shorai charger, I have not utilized a maintainer at all.

Engine starting is superb with excellent cranking rpm, and fires up more quickly than the Yuasa, any of them that had been installed.

The economics of purchasing another Yuasa vs buying the Shorai battery and Shorai charger was more expensive outright. However, even with the purchase of the Shorai charger, the expected Shorai battery life is expected to be the equivalent of several Yuasa batteries, and is about 30% less expensive over the 10 year expected life of the Shorai battery.

Spyder Garage

My wife called me because her car would not start. My son had just put a new battery in it. I had bought a lithium-ion jump starter for her car only the week before. I connected the jump starter and the car fired right up, but stopped as soon as I disconnected it. So because she had to get to work and I needed the other vehicle, I left the jump starter connected and drove it to her work a few miles, she followed in the other vehicle. Once there I jumped her car several times while diagnosing her car. It turned out it needed a new cable and terminals. After all that the jump starter still had a 60% charge remaining! And it still works fine! The short of this is that if the extra cost of a lithium battery is not an issue, I would prefer them to lead acid batteries. William
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-22-2023 at 12:03 AM.

Spyder Garage

OK. I'm taking the plunge.
    I have a 2020 RT Limited. The original YUASA battery failed and left me stranded after I owned the bike for 18 months.
    I installed a non OEM Super Start that I've had for another 18 months. I don't trust it.
    They don't make them like they used to.
    I bought the lithium battery from Lamonster and a new battery tender from Walmart that is designed for Lithium and Lead/Acid batteries.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I just recently attended a class on lithium ion batteries that was put on by our state fire academy and our state haz mat team.
    After seeing what fire departments are going to have to do to try and extinguish these batteries when they ignite I have a total
    distain for lithium batteries. With all the push for EV vehicles, they have created an enviromental nightmare.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do not use a Lithium-Ion traction battery!

For your Spyder use a LiFePo4 (LFX) starter battery (eg Shorai and several others). If damaged the LFX chemistry is safer than a FLA/SLA battery (won't spill acid, won't catch on fire) although it has higher internal resistance than the Lithium-Ion battery. Apparently Tesla uses LFX in its cheapest car where performance is less important than cost. And using a charger designed for LFX batteries will extend their lives.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Thinking about getting a lithium battery for my 2018 Spyder RTL. Has anyone had experience storing it in a cold climate? I contacted NOCO (the battery jetfixer bought) and they said: The storage and operating recommended temperatures for our batteries are -4F to 140F/-20C to 60C. I find it hard to believe it can be stored that cold since I lost a few lithium power tool batteries by forgetting to bring them in from the garage over winter. Please let me know good or bad if you have used or stored these in cold weather - I live in Wisconsin, so even though I keep it in a garage it still gets cold!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-04-2024 at 03:09 PM. Reason: batter ... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Re: Experience with Lithium batteries. I had one in my Triumph Trophy. Spent the night in Fairplay, Co and woke to 26F. Attempted to start the bike and got nada, zip, nogots! Plugged in my heated jacket (direct wired to battery) for 2 minutes and the bike started with no problem after that. I haven't used a Lithium in any of my rides since.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Re: Experience with Lithium batteries. I had one in my Triumph Trophy. Spent the night in Fairplay, Co and woke to 26F. Attempted to start the bike and got nada, zip, nogots! Plugged in my heated jacket (direct wired to battery) for 2 minutes and the bike started with no problem after that. I haven't used a Lithium in any of my rides since.
    I wouldn't be riding it in the cold weather, just storing it. Or will that still do damage?

Spyder Garage

Ok here is my 2ct's.
    Lithium batteries weigh less, have higher CCA ratings and are smaller.
    No argument.
    Years ago Motorcyclist magazine fried the electrical system on a brand new Ducti during testing a lithium battery
    From what I have be told, when you hit the starter on one, they crank until the bike starts.( didn't start)
    A shop near me catered to motorcycle road racers and sold many because of the light weight.
    He had a bunch of guys complain about starting issues on cold mornings.
    A friend who lived in the southern US had a built Harley XR 1200.
    He had the battery do a melt down while riding. almost lost the bike.
    Do I really need one, probably not.
    Would I like more CCA's yes. But as long as my bike starts in the morning I am OK.
    Would I like less weight. The Ryker weighs over 650 lb's, what is saving 10lb's.
    If I would lay off the bacon cheese burgers and fries, I can lose that much.
    I have a Delton Battery Tender Jr that I have used for 18 years without any trouble, The Ryker will be the fourth bike it has been on. ( KTM, Buell. Harley XR1200)
    I am NOT saying don't buy one If you have and it works for you, great.
    If you really want one, it's your choice. Sorry about the long post.
    Bruce

Spyder Garage

Still enjoying the Shorai lithium battery installed in the Spyder.

Does not get truly cold here in SoFlo, so warming the battery as stated in the Shorai instructions, by turning on the headlights has not been done and could not happen until the engine starts.

So far, very pleased with the battery and no issues. 50 miles or so of riding yesterday, running errands and visiting my wife's mom.

Spyder Garage

No problems with my Noco NLP20. I've had for only a little over a year.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Thanks for the info. So using a Lithium-Ion battery in a Spyder would be constantly charged by the 1330 alternator? And the alternator would not over charge or harm the battery? Also, I guess a Lithium-Ion charger would not be needed as long as the Spyder was ridden year round?
    I ride my bike year around, and I do not use a tender, conditioner, etc. And My bike might sit for 3 weeks as well. Always starts right up. Now, if I ride it to work and it is really cold out, say 25F, when i get on to leave to go home, it is slightly more sluggish to start. But it has always started.
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I just installed the npl20 in my 2015 RT, I believe this is the way to go.

Spyder Garage

The second to last paragraph from the link says it all to me:

"You can use a lead acid charger on a lithium battery if you want, HOWEVER, you must NOT use a lead-acid charger if it has an automatic “equalisation mode” which cannot be permanently turned off. A lead-acid charger that can be set to charge no higher than 14.6v can be used for regular charging and then MUST be disconnected after the battery is fully charged. DO NOT leave the lead-acid charger connected to maintain or store the battery, because most will NOT maintain the proper voltage charge algorithm for lithium batteries and damage will occur to the battery that is not covered under battery warranty."
    Sounds like most healthy charging systems (I have not measured my Spyder's charging voltage yet) can charge a LiPo. My concern is the voltage must be removed once the battery is full. I'm not aware of any vehicles where the charging system stops charging the battery with the exception of maybe an EV. This would imply that unless the battery itself has a shut off feature it is very possible to overcharge. It would also need to be able to activate this same circuit and allow vehicle voltage to charge only when needed to minimize charging cycles and maximize battery life.

Unless the battery has built in charging control, a 3rd party circuit exists or can be added, I'm not sold on trying it. Which is a shame because I was interested in this to shed a few easy pounds in the front of my F3S when the time came to replace the OEM battery.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2024 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2023 Spyder F3-S, Manta Green
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE, Black on Black (The wife's toy )
    2020 Kawasaki Z900, Candy Plasma Blue

Spyder Garage

I haven't bought a liFePO4 yet but when I do it will be from a US manufacturer like EarthX or Antigravity who have built batteries for colder temperatures and are used in sleds etc. If looking to buy one look at site specific info not generic internet info. If it was built for your application the vehicle charging system should be fine but not necessarily the plug in charger/maintainers that many have at home. FWIW.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I don't understand. If the LiPo battery needs a special charger, how does the vehicle charging system designed for a conventional battery work ?
    If the battery is dead, can you jumo it using a conventional jump pack or jumper cables to another vehicle ??
    Here you go...https://www.optimabatteries.com/expe...pecial-charger