Spyder Garage

Default How do you Jack up the rear tire to check for road debris in treads?

HELLO Everyone. I have a 2022 F3T. I like to periodically spin the rear tire and check for glass, nails, or any debris caught in the treads that I think may cause a flat tire on a long ride. Sometimes, what appears to be harmless road debris will puncture the tire after a few hundred miles. I can't get on my back anymore, so I like to sit on a shop roller chair and inspect the tire. The trouble is that I need to get the rear tire jacked up and off the ground in order to do my inspection. Anyone have the same habit; and if so, how do you jack up the rear tire on this bike? TIA.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2024 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is not a HowTo: DIY thread... & expanded title to briefly state the reason for the thread! ;-)

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Make sure the parking brake is off and just place a jack on the center frame right in front of the catalytic converter and lift with having your front wheels chocked. You should be able to get the rear off the ground enough to do the inspection and spin the back wheel.

I lift mine using an atv/motorcycle jack so I don't need to do any modifications. Some people use wood and other items if they are using a bottle or scissor jack to spread the load out.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I use an aluminum floor jack to raise the rear wheel. The rubber pad on the jack won't scratch the metal under carriage.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You want to get the jack as close to the rear tire as possible ..... I place a piece of wood under the metal tabs that secure the secure the rear shock . .... the wood has to be a bit wider than those tabs .... put the jack under the wood and raise the rear tire off the ground..... this jack placement keeps the Spyder stable ..... and do the chock the front tires .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once the back end is up, off the ground, one can use an inspection mirror to view the tire faces. Less bending and you won't have to lift the tire so high. The plastic fender inhibits access to the tire face.

I use a motorcycle lift/jack, originally sold by Sears, with a 1500 lb capacity ( but looks a lot like this one from Northern Tool https://www.northerntool.com/product...-t64415-148722.

The trick with any jack is to get the load centered so the F3-T (or any other bike) will lift evenly. Biasing the load to lift the back-only will introduce twist and stress into the jack. If you are mobility impaired, a bottle jack of any sort is really not an option.

For those unfamiliar with the process, inspection of the tires is parts of the T-CLOCS process for looking over your motorcycle before a ride or general maintenance. https://msf-usa.org/documents/librar...ion-checklist/ For a Spyder, the last "S" is silent as there isn't a side or main stand. Rather, in the "T" section, add Parking Brake function.

Wayne
    Last edited by pauly1; 01-17-2024 at 09:51 AM.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

I have purchased a Pittsburgh Automotive Motorcycle/ATV Lift from Harbor Freight Tools (SKU 63397) and modified it by removing the extensions and making a wider platform from 3/4" plywood and this will raise the entire Spyder a little over 17 inches off the ground. I then place 3 jackstands with rubber caps under the three shock mounting points for safety. This allows you to sit on your rolling shop chair and inspect all tires and the drive belt, as all wheels turn freely. If only I was smart enough to figure out how to post pictures here. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

If I lift it at all, I just slip a scissor jack under, just in front of the tire, with a couple short pieces of 2x4 to make it lift on the frame and not contact anything that would bend. Most the time I don't set the parking brake inside the shop, and can just roll the whole bike to see the tire. You can see the front half of the tire on mine without taking anything off.

My scissor jack got a 7/8 nut welded to the screw to use the 1/2 electric impact.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    If I lift it at all, I just slip a scissor jack under, just in front of the tire, with a couple short pieces of 2x4 to make it lift on the frame and not contact anything that would bend. Most the time I don't set the parking brake inside the shop, and can just roll the whole bike to see the tire. You can see the front half of the tire on mine without taking anything off.

My scissor jack got a 7/8 nut welded to the screw to use the 1/2 electric impact.
    , sort of. Although I usually keep my parking brake engaged, I occasionally release it to roll the bike forward or backward to inspect the tires or position the valve stem for checking/adding air.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]