Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default What experiences have you had with Lithium Batteries?

What experience have owners had with Lithium Batteries? Are they better? do you need a battery maintainer for them? Does it need to be a special maintainer?

Spyder Garage

I was told by some experienced people that I trust, not to go with a lithium. Granted, there have been some issues with them. But being the kind of guy I am, I didn't listen to them. This is the battery I got and I am EXTREMELY pleased with it. I think it is awesome!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is much smaller than the OEM battery so I don't have to wedge it into the very tight space allowed. It weighs almost nothing and delivers more power than the OEM battery. Lithium is supposed to last longer too. Have only had it for 6 months so can't say there.

There isn't anything special you need to do for it except you'll need a good Lithium battery charger. Do not use a charger that is not designed for lithium batteries.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-19-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I was told by some experienced people that I trust, not to go with a lithium. Granted, there have been some issues with them. But being the kind of guy I am, I didn't listen to them. This is the battery I got and I am EXTREMELY pleased with it. I think it is awesome!

It is much smaller than the OEM battery so I don't have to wedge it into the very tight space allowed. It weighs almost nothing and delivers more power than the OEM battery. Lithium is supposed to last longer too. Have only had it for 6 months so can't say there.

There isn't anything special you need to do for it except you'll need a good Lithium battery charger. Do not use a charger that is not designed for lithium batteries.
    Ron, How long have you been using this battery in your ride, had any issues??
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    re-read?

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I've been running this battery since March of this year. About 6 months. Zero issues. Though I had zero issues with my previous AGM battery until it gave up. The lithium has a number of advantages over the AGM. Weight, (substantial difference. (I think it was 17lbx down to 3), CCA is much higher, (Don't remember the difference there). Smaller so it isn't such a tight squeeze. Previous AGM batteries swelled a bit when they went bad and were difficult to remove. I really like it.

Spyder Garage

Will this fit with no hassle? Terminals etc?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2024 at 02:51 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tekslk View Post
    Will this fit with no hassle? Terminals etc?
    What battery in which post are you referring to? It helps a lot if you quote the post you are specifically responding to. (You can use the Reply with Quote button down the bottom of the applicable post to do this.)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2024 at 02:51 PM. Reason: added Reply with Quote info ;-)

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

My wife has the MMG Lithium battery in her 2018 F3L. Going on 5 yrs old still working strong
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2024 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Removed Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

I've had a LiPo battery in my old, slow V-Max for 7 or 8 years. Weighs nothing, works every time. I do have the proper charger though. I had thought about one for my but got a regular battery instead as previous discussion on this site was not too positive.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I don't understand. If the LiPo battery needs a special charger, how does the vehicle charging system designed for a conventional battery work ?
    If the battery is dead, can you jumo it using a conventional jump pack or jumper cables to another vehicle ??
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I don't understand. If the LiPo battery needs a special charger, how does the vehicle charging system designed for a conventional battery work ?
    If the battery is dead, can you jumo it using a conventional jump pack or jumper cables to another vehicle ??
    This explains some of the questions. I think it's just a matter of time until vehicles switch to lithium batteries. The cordless tool industry has made the switch and they seem to be a huge improvement.

https://enerdrive.com.au/2017/11/29/...-acid-charger/
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-19-2019 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Fixed unneccessary URL attempt that garbaged the link! :/
    2018 Spyder RT Limited
    Asphalt Gray
    Can Am Passenger Armrests
    Can Am Comfort Seat
    Spyder Accessories Floating Footpegs
    Utopia Driver Backrest
    Bajaron Sway Bar
    Sena 20s Bluetooth
    Lidlocks Helmet Holders
    F4 Tall and Wide Tinted Windshield
    Fobo Tire Monitor
    Lamonster Spyderdock Cell Phone Holder
    Sheepskin Seat Cover
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    Magic Mirror
    Can Am Trailer Hitch
    Missing Belt Guard

Wish List - LED Headlights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tenic View Post
    This explains some of the questions. I think it's just a matter of time until vehicles switch to lithium batteries. The cordless tool industry has made the switch and they seem to be a huge improvement.

https://enerdrive.com.au/2017/11/29/...-acid-charger/
    Thanks for fixing the link, I now understand.
    So if I read this correctly, NO, you cannot use a LiPO battery with a charger designed for lead acid batteries.
    Since most common vehicles (maybe airplanes are excluded) use lead acid batteries, switching to LiPO will require changes to the alternator/voltage regulator.
    Am I correct ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A conventional charger won't charge above 13 volts typically and usually less, like 12.6. A Lithium charger will go to about 14.2v, which is what it takes to fully charge a lithium battery. Your onboard charging system will take it to about 12.8, which is enough to keep the electronics lit and replace the energy lost to the starter motor.

For best results from a lithium battery, keep it on a maintainer designed for lithium.

You can 'jump' it with anything that will power the starter motor (12 volts), but remember to charge it up properly with a lithium charger first chance you get, or you're going to lose the benefit of having a lithium battery.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-26-2022 at 12:20 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    A conventional charger won't charge above 13 volts typically and usually less, like 12.6. A Lithium charger will go to about 14.2v, which is what it takes to fully charge a lithium battery. Your onboard charging system will take it to about 12.8, which is enough to keep the electronics lit and replace the energy lost to the starter motor.

For best results from a lithium battery, keep it on a maintainer designed for lithium.

You can 'jump' it with anything that will power the starter motor (12 volts), but remember to charge it up properly with a lithium charger first chance you get, or you're going to lose the benefit of having a lithium battery.
    Always maintaining a Li-ion battery in a fully charged condition will shorten its lifespan.

Spyder Garage

Always maintaining a Li-ion battery in a fully charged condition will shorten its lifespan.
    So how your mmg battery have done all this Years?

Spyder Garage

Here you go...https://www.optimabatteries.com/expe...pecial-charger

Spyder Garage

This inquiring mind wants to know. If a Lithium-Ion battery can be put in a Spyder and the alternator keeps it charged, why can’t an alternator be put into an all electric car such as a Tesla rather than having to plug into an electric outlet?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    This inquiring mind wants to know. If a Lithium-Ion battery can be put in a Spyder and the alternator keeps it charged, why can’t an alternator be put into an all electric car such as a Tesla rather than having to plug into an electric outlet?
    Tesla and just about any fairly new Electric golf carts have had regenerative braking, which is where when the car goes downhill they use the momentum to generate electric which is then fed back into the main battery. An alternator used to charge the battery while driving would have to be the size of a doghouse to keep up with those batteries, it actually would be like creating a perpetual motion machine which is not possible yet.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-29-2022 at 06:54 PM. Reason: spaces after punctuation... ;-)
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Something has to turn the alternator in order to generate electricity. In a gas engine vehicle it's the engine that does that. An all electric like the Tesla has no engine to turn the alternator.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Something has to turn the alternator in order to generate electricity. In a gas engine vehicle it's the engine that does that. An all electric like the Tesla has no engine to turn the alternator.
    Umm, I'm pretty sure the tesla motor turns the drive wheels so it could probably turn an alternator! Turning an alternator is the least of the problems!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade66 View Post
    Umm, I'm pretty sure the tesla motor turns the drive wheels so it could probably turn an alternator! Turning an alternator is the least of the problems!
    You could, but why would you? You'd simply be using electricity from one on-board source, the battery, to generate electricity to be used in some other on-board device.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Tesla's do not have alternators. Here's why. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np1Ixd7FWzI It's a 20 minute watch, but it's your time if you choose to learn. Jeremy Fielding is an excellent teacher!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Tesla's do not have alternators. Here's why. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np1Ixd7FWzI It's a 20 minute watch, but it's your time if you choose to learn. Jeremy Fielding is an excellent teacher!
    He has another one that deals with airplane tires. He does a bit of comparison between a car, truck and airplane as far as construction and the need for different tire pressures. Some Spyder riders might benefit from watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af5_QCafS8o
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. So using a Lithium-Ion battery in a Spyder would be constantly charged by the 1330 alternator? And the alternator would not over charge or harm the battery? Also, I guess a Lithium-Ion charger would not be needed as long as the Spyder was ridden year round?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

This subject has been around for sometime. I know that on the Twins those batteries did not fare well and they were not recommended by many. Now on the newer engines like the 1330, 900 and 600 they may work well as they are easier to start with less of a load. On the Rykers there is the added advantage of not having the DPS that is a heavy drain on the battery. Have not heard much on thier use on the newer engines but would imagine they will perform well. Just need to support them with some spacers in the battery box area....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black