Thread: speed

Spyder Garage

Default speed

we are the new owners of a 2013 Spyder Roadster, forma goldwing owner,haveing trouble with top speeds.This i a different beast,any help would help and yes i know it winter,plus i need to find some type of storage,have no garage.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

Welcome to the spyder world and this all so helpful site.... but we would need your help in letting us know what model you have... manual, semi-auto. RS, ST, RT so we can get you the information.

As to speed...?? what are we looking for...top speed..?? I have some that have done over 120 mph and I have come close but usually run out of road,
    As to storage...?? there are many temp types out there depending on if you have room for it ( you know sheds from Home Depot or online Pipe and canvas etc). Then there are storage locations charging monthly. Last event a good full cover in a secure location.

Welcome once again.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yep, that is the main problem with a Spyder......... they too dang wide to go through the front door, otherwise you could park it in the living room in the winter just like you did your old 750.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

A loose grip on the bars helps. Tighten your arm / hand muscles and the bike will be skittery.
    Re storage: If you have no other options, get a waterproof full cover made for your model. At the last fill up, put a fuel stabilizer in the tank. That way, it will be all through the system by the time you get home. Hook up the battery to an automatic trickle charger, such as a Battery Tender. Never, never, never start the engine unless you are going out for at least a 30 minute ride.
    If there are critters around, place lots of mothballs in and under the bike and replenish often. Critters can to great damage to wiring, seats, and make nests in air filters.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

keep your torso more upright, let your elbows, shoulders flex with the road rocking motion. But generally just need more seat time to get used to it
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

2013 Spyder Rt mostley high way speed .

Spyder Garage

BajaRon sway bar, laser alignment . tire balance all around would be best way to get er under control at speed

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Please explain what you mean by trouble with top speed.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

What i mean is at highway speeds it seams to dip and rock to left and right ,ive owed 4 bikes before this one,due to knees etc .I know time will make a difference ,its rained sence we bought it lol its very nice bike just hope to get time on it but winter is here .Any help would be great .Spyder RT2013.what does every one use on your windshield etc not like my wing.ThanksI check every few days.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABBADABBA View Post
    What i mean is at highway speeds it seams to dip and rock to left and right ,ive owed 4 bikes before this one,due to knees etc .I know time will make a difference ,its rained sence we bought it lol its very nice bike just hope to get time on it but winter is here .Any help would be great .Spyder RT2013.what does every one use on your windshield etc not like my wing.ThanksI check every few days.
    Thanks, that's better. Suggestions, in order of priority, is make sure front wheels are aligned properly using a laser alignment system. This is essential. Then consider installing a BajaRon anti-sway bar. Sorry I don't recall what to look for to see if it already has one or not. Third would be to install front shock adjusters to stiffen the shocks. I used the ones from Baja Ron.

If the front wheel toe-in is not correct it can cause exactly what you're experiencing. Also, keep in mind the Spyder will feel like it's being pushed around if you're riding in strong cross winds. You just have to hold on loosely, let your body get pushed side to side, and the Spyder will stay tracking true.

Others will have to suggest care for the stock windshield. I have an F4 aftermarket windshield that is scratch proof.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have pictures of my GoldWing in a motel room in Las Angeles I rode it through the breeze way around to the sliding glass door
    that was facing the pool and rode it right into the room.... the maid sure had a funny look on her face when she came in to see
    if I needed anything,
    AHHHHH the good ole days

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Yep, that is the main problem with a Spyder......... they too dang wide to go through the front door, otherwise you could park it in the living room in the winter just like you did your old 750.

Spyder Garage

Your stock windshield is very much like your Goldwing and will respond well to whatever you were using on it. I have a 2012 RT and I use Yamalube Spray Polish and Instant Detailer. I works really well on my windshield removing bugs and dirt and leaving it clean and streak free with no scratches. It is the original windshield and still clear. It costs about $7.95 a can at any Yamaha dealer. Of course there are many others including the old GWRRA standby Pledge. I used to use that but can no longer find the unscented, only the lemon which draws bees. LP Spray Cleaner Polish is about the same price as the Yamaha's some shops carry it. I am sure Honda has something, Nexus works pretty but I think is expensive. So there is more then you ever wanted to know. Keep it shiny.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I use plexus on my windshields - my 2006 gold wing still had the O.E on it with over 40k till I sold it for the spyder. Still looked like new.....
    https://www.amazon.com/Plexus-20207-...62212771&psc=1
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

For the darting, a very loose grip and loose arms. Laser alignment is good advice and I need to get one.
    For the windshield, Plexus or any good detailer. I have never been a fan of using a product designed for wood furniture on vehicles - no UV protection for one thing. And use only up and down strokes, no rounder, rounder stuff.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I just made the switch in early September from a Yamaha Venture, and all the suggestions were the same ones that helped me. Looking at the sway bar over the winter, but just adjusting my grip to be looser, relaxing and practice has seemed to do the trick. It was learning to ryde after many years of riding

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABBADABBA View Post
    When I bought my 1st Spyder in 2018 mine devceloped the same problem. Min would almost change lanes of its own accord. At the time one of the ball joints was defective but took the dealership a month to identify it.

They are also very sensitive to wheel alignment - if its not properly done or completed in full, the RT's will wander all over the place. Some dealers seem to struggle with this.

Welcome to a different way of touring friend.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

thanks for the help ,with the money we just spend we will have to do things 1 at a time . We just put a bran new one on ower wing thats for sale ,go figure.

Spyder Garage

Check the date on the front tire, might be too old. Are they Kenda tires? if yes get them off ASAP because they CRAP. I use Federal Formosa AZ01 and I love them, and they are about $87.00 at Walmart. I'm quite certain that if you're running Kenda tires this will solve the majority of the steering problems.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I have pictures of my GoldWing in a motel room in Las Angeles I rode it through the breeze way around to the sliding glass door
    that was facing the pool and rode it right into the room.... the maid sure had a funny look on her face when she came in to see
    if I needed anything,
    AHHHHH the good ole days
    Where there is a will … there is a way ………….. And this reminds me of something I did " back in the Day " …… My last year as a Mounted Officer ( horse type cop )…. On St Paddy's day in NYC, after Leading the big Parade, and after doing crowd control, I /we were on our way back to the barn, and as luck would have it, we were passing a church that had a large Irish following ( at least it was on Mar 17th ) …. They were having a St.Paddy's Day bash on the ground floor under the church...…. the large double doors were open - great loud music being played.... lots of Bag Pipes … and a lot of Cops and Fireman having a great time with the large contingent of Nurses from the nearby Medical Center … So me being young and really DUMB, I decide to join the Party …… However I didn't get off my Horse - I just rode him in ...… …. Nobody even flinched …… I did ride out with a wee Lassie on the back .... that part of this story is not going to be detailed tho …….. a bunch of people took pics - of course I didn't get any of them ...… Mike

Spyder Garage

I too came from a Goldwing and Its a culture shock when you change over.... I was gonna sell mine the day after I bought it as I hated it.. but after a couple of thousand miles ive got used to it .. as they all say above loose grip as they all wander a bit and arnt as planted as a motorcycle.. So before any mods get used to the darn thing and how they ride, as you will probably think there is summat up with it until you get used to it... awful at first but good later on!