Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slingshot

Spyder Garage

Default Slingshot

I’ve owned 2 RT’s, an 11, and a 17. Loved both very much. Traded 11 for 17. Never had an ounce of trouble with 11. 17 has been nothing but trouble. Had it for a year and a half, been in shop half that time. Park brake acted up first week or so I had it, then straightened up for 6 months, then problem came back, had trouble with reverse button, computer went out, right cluster on handle bar had to be replaced. After getting all that fixed, thought and hoped everything and all my troubles were fixed and over. Went to Maggie Valley last week, noticed it was making an unusual noise, had rear tire put on, they said, uhoh, you have red dust on front pully. I was 500 miles fro home with a front pully problem. Didn’t even get to ride in mountains. They said it might get you back home, maybe not. Wife and I rented a slingshot there to ride in mountains, and see how it rode. Both of us liked it, RT did make it back home. Went to dealer that sold Canams and Slingshots. Wound up trading for one, my trust in Canams wasn’t there anymore. The 11, was flawless, the 17 was a never ending problem. I’m sure it’s not all, just that I got a bad one, we like to travel on it, and couldn’t trust taking it very far anymore. Maybe a Slingshots not going to be the right answer, maybe they aren’t anymore reliable, I’ll find out I guess. Sorry so long and windy. We liked the RT, just couldn’t trust it anymore

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....for sure.

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience with your second spyder RT. Understandably you can no longer ryde worry free along the highway and hope the slingshot will be mechanically better but it is a different ryde. Maybe after a time and some changes in the upcoming models you will give it another try. Good luck with your new ryde ....I do wave at slingshots...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The trust issue can be a real problem. Many are spooked by it. The slingshot is an interesting vehicle. We have not heard anything bad about them...so wishing you the best with yours.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Well, that sucks, sorry the '17 didn't work out for you. My '14 has had an issue or two, but since I bought it used, I've no idea if it's Can-Am or PO caused. I looked at the Slingshot, but the wife wasn't sure she'd be able to climb in and out, and there's NO storage on those things. On the other hand, they're really big on power/torque, and have less of a nanny system.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not that many spyers in my neck of the woods, yet. Use to be that folks would come up to me when I was parked somewhere and say, "that sure looks like fun, how do you like it?" I'd respond with, "yea it's great," and the conversation would go on from there. Now it seems, just about half of my contacts come up and say, "I've been seeing a few of these around, how do you like yours? Having any troubles with yours?" So; the reputation is clearly out there and it's not doing any good for the mother company. By the way, BRP is not the only company gaining a bad rap. My friend along with along with another local Harley owner recently finished a court settlement where they sued HD under California's "Lemon Law." As a result, my friend kept his trike along with the conditions agreed upon in court. The other gentleman turned his trike back over to HD and took the money and ran with it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As someone mentioned, lose trust in the machine, and you're done. Much of the problem is with BRP, they refuse to take control of problems and dealers. A great product with very little customer support. Sadly, it won't change.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like to hear more how you like the Slingshot.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    As someone mentioned, lose trust in the machine, and you're done. Much of the problem is with BRP, they refuse to take control of problems and dealers. A great product with very little customer support. Sadly, it won't change.
    Its' tough enough to get customers, but when you loose one it's near impossible to get them back.

Spyder Garage

On my second Slingshot, with a Vanderhall in between. Current Sling is an 18 purchased early last year and never been to dealer for warranty or any issues. Seems they've got the bugs worked out. I wouldn't hesitate to get a Can Am, having had a '11 and '14, both of which had some relatively minor issues which were well taken care of by dealer. Back pain is what put me in a car like seat.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

sorry to hear about 17 problems. never thought to buy a slingshot, only like the look of them. cool.

I wouldn't buy one cause I don't like to be so low to ground in an open air thing. if it rains, might get splashed by other vehicles. or any accidents, your down real low
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry but wouldn't you get wet and splashed on when riding on a Spyder.

Have a accident on a Spyder would be more damaging than the Slingshot IMO

Spyder Garage

i'm talking about the "down low splash" would be worse sitting so low. more grit flying out from a nearby tire. Oh, maybe you just don't ride them in rain!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I went on a Slingshot forum today to lurk about. The SS forum is full of people complaining about body panels not fitting, poor hood latches, cockpit heat, very poor radio reception, belt noise, clunking and vibration in driveline, and lack of support from Polaris and dealers. Looked awfully familiar..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

We looked at the Slingshot but tooo low to the ground, like a gocart, The are sharp looking but takes up as much or more in my garage (19x20) with 2 cars and my Spyder. Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Saw the Vanderhaul in Hawaii, sharp--different
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Before I would go to a slingshot, I would put my butt in a nice little convertible sports car!!! They cost the same and you don't have to turn yourself inside out to get into it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Before I would go to a slingshot, I would put my butt in a nice little convertible sports car!!! They cost the same and you don't have to turn yourself inside out to get into it!!
    ThinKing the same- a nice vintage convertible

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cute little Miatta sort of fits that description.

Spyder Garage

Looked at both, rode/drove both and actually sold both a few years ago. I found the Slingshot to be a crude machine. Creaks/rattles/poor fit/unpolished. For the $$ though, it seemed like more of a no brainer over the Spyder. That said, the Slingshot takes up as much space as a automobile in the garage. As said above, find a good deal on a Miata. The Spyder has a more open air, motorcycle feel. When you ride with your two wheel buddies, you can actually park in a motorcycle spot, albeit just a touch more space. You don't have to look around for a auto stall. If physical limitations require a Slingshot, hell, go for it. I still prefer the airiness feel of the Spyder. As far as service issues, I don't feel like theirs a heck of a lot of differences between BRP/Polaris. My store was able to get support equally between the two.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never understood the appeal of a Slingshot.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agree, if I just got out of the three wheel business, I'd find a nice rag top Miata to get the outside exposure. Those new one's are a sight to behold, but I reckon it would be a bit harsh on the budget.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Looked at both, rode/drove both and actually sold both a few years ago. I found the Slingshot to be a crude machine. Creaks/rattles/poor fit/unpolished. For the $$ though, it seemed like more of a no brainer over the Spyder. That said, the Slingshot takes up as much space as a automobile in the garage. As said above, find a good deal on a Miata. The Spyder has a more open air, motorcycle feel. When you ride with your two wheel buddies, you can actually park in a motorcycle spot, albeit just a touch more space. You don't have to look around for a auto stall. If physical limitations require a Slingshot, hell, go for it. I still prefer the airiness feel of the Spyder. As far as service issues, I don't feel like theirs a heck of a lot of differences between BRP/Polaris. My store was able to get support equally between the two.
    There are numerous accommodations that can be made to the Spyder for those that have limitations, no reason not to enjoy if you can are are able. Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Slingshot cost more than a nice used convertible i.e Miata, less fuel efficient, twice as much on insurance depending where you live, less safety features and the list goes on, it never appealed to me. At least with spyder im not losing the open air feeling.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

i had a 96 miata, it was fun but hot and crowded, no air gets down in there and you burn up in the summer, and its so crowded you can't move around at all so a long trip got very uncomfortable, speaking of the slingshot i have never even sat in one but i had a victory crossroads from 2011 till 2017 and the parts and service was exactly the same as a spyder, i had to wait for weeks for the backrest i bought with it and i had to go down almost to atlanta to get a stage 1 tune done, then when sales weren't up to snuff they just dis-continued the brand all together, they said parts would be available for 10 years but they were hard to get before they stopped making them, the bike was great but i sold it for peanuts when they were dis-continued before parts and service went away.
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Post deleted
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver