Spyder Garage

Default And so it begins (998's beware)

I stopped by a big dealer in these parts with my RS Sm5 2012 today and spoke with their top can am tech. As I now have over 40,000 miles and 950 hours engine time thought I would see about a valve check as I do not have shims for these engines. Basically was told they are not taking on any of the older model spyders for engine work. They are not stocking parts and having to order them takes a long time as BRP also does not have much making the jobs take too long. Sad but it looks like the end is near.... not to mention our gas is now over $4.00 and going up
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

still ain’t found out why mine won’t start

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Well Gene this is one post from you I didn't want to read!!! I hope that some aftermarket company's will not let us down, and make what parts we need to keep them going. I fid it hard to believe like shim kits, and other items could be a standard item from one company to another or go so far as from one motor to another!!My dad had a Toyota Landcruiser years ago, some of the parts on that could be put on or bought from chevy. Well we will have to see where this train will end!! Thanks for the heads up!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Does the Aprillia use the same engine (BRP detuned)?
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

I'm guessing this is just that dealer.
    I wouldn't imagine that all will go that route this early.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haikanko View Post
    Not any more, but there was a time when they did.... and I'm pretty sure that there are still quite a few Light/Ultra Light Aircraft powered by Rotax engines flying around out there too, and I can't really see them just being abandoned by the engine manufacturer while there's still a reasonably sized market/demand for mainenance & parts.... so maybe it's just that (some??) Can-Am Dealers aren't going to keep on supporting the V-twins cos BRP aren't selling those Spyder models now.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I stopped by a big dealer in these parts with my RS Sm5 2012 today and spoke with their top can am tech. As I now have over 40,000 miles and 950 hours engine time thought I would see about a valve check as I do not have shims for these engines. Basically was told they are not taking on any of the older model spyders for engine work. They are not stocking parts and having to order them takes a long time as BRP also does not have much making the jobs take too long. Sad but it looks like the end is near.... not to mention our gas is now over $4.00 and going up
    I can see not keeping parts onsite but to refuse to service is unacceptable- why should service care what they work on as long as they have vehicles that need service. Granted the vehicle owner may have to “special order” parts (pay in advance) and when parts arrive they work on it. I would contact the owner of the dealership to confirm he has the view as his Service Dept. Contacting the BRP mothership would be next on the contact list for me. A vehicle only 7 years old should not be refused service.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

It is not uncommon for Harley dealers to not work on bikes that are 10 years or older so I’m not surprised that others do that too.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Ford stopped stocking many common parts for their vehicles that were more than 10 years old.This started happening like 10 years ago.Also chyrsler stopped carrying OEM brakes for many of their vehicles years ago,instead they stocked what they called their Value Line which were aftermarket brakes and rotors just put in a Mopar box.You could still get the OEM stuff but it had to be ordered.GM has been selling their Delco line forever and Ford has been pushing Motorcraft,neither of those are Oem products.Maybe cheap cycle parts can get you those parts.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think most can am dealers carry very few repair parts anyway. One of my buddies had to drive his truck to the spyder rally in Maggie Valley last week because a brake light switch went bad on his 2014 RT. No dealership within about 100 miles had the part. When he got back to the dealership this past Tuesday, the part had finally arrived, and they were able to fix the bike.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Gene I would PM or E-mail " Spyderjockey " and find out when He had His first looked at …. I think He was about 75,000 mi. and didn't need them adjusted ….. worth a shot ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haikanko View Post
    They do....but far from detuned they are up to 140 HP and may still be a source as the engines are made in Austria I beleive...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhartjr View Post
    I'm guessing this is just that dealer.
    I wouldn't imagine that all will go that route this early.
    Most likely as being a big dealer does not make you a good one...Some of the others around here have dropped the line completely and we have an excelent independent shop Pirate Motosports up in Riverside who will undoubtedly continue servicing these models....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I think most can am dealers carry very few repair parts anyway. One of my buddies had to drive his truck to the spyder rally in Maggie Valley last week because a brake light switch went bad on his 2014 RT. No dealership within about 100 miles had the part. When he got back to the dealership this past Tuesday, the part had finally arrived, and they were able to fix the bike.
    Let him know in the future if not a warranty item to go to cheapcycleparts.com as they carry all oem parts and have much better stock...somehow...��
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Gene I would PM or E-mail " Spyderjockey " and find out when He had His first looked at …. I think He was about 75,000 mi. and didn't need them adjusted ….. worth a shot ….. Mike
    Thanks mike.... I don't think I need them done but was curious. I always listen to the valves with a mechanics stethscope and as yet hear no difference between them or significant change. Have not seen the shims on the Rotax and in all the ones I have from the years wrenching for Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki etc I have collected a variety.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

As the owner of a 998 (2011) the subject has also been on my mind for awhile now. The AK dealer stopped selling the brand entirely a year ago. They were going to service them...but that remains to be seen. They had no parts in stock, and everything had to be ordered. I bailed from there at the right time.

One good thing...there are a LOT of 998's around. There will be those who will service them.

RE: 40K valve check. I am coming up on 33K on the 2011. If I don't have any problems, I am going to let that valve check slide by also. I did one at 14K on the 08, and one at 28K on the 2010....(call me the valve check beta tester)...and neither one was needed. The dealer got $3K total for the jobs. They messed up the 28K one and had to re-do it because they "forgot" to put the gasket in.

If BRP refuses to service over half the fleet (a guess....but think I am pretty close), the brand will be at risk...IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hi Gene, You made me nervous I only have 14k on my 12 but I thought I would check. My service manager said Bring it in we will do anything you need done. She said that a few parts for 12 are not OEM available but they are parts not usually asked for Trailer hitch parts was what she mentioned. I asked if she had heard about maybe BRP announcing an end of life for a certain part she said no.. I live 12 miles from where the engine is cast and we ryde with some BRP employees maybe I will ask them if I can remember to....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    They do....but far from detuned they are up to 140 HP and may still be a source as the engines are made in Austria I beleive...
    No BRP detunes it - duuuhhhhhh!
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Default Good oportunity...

Independents have a good oprotunity to get into this area. There is the issue of the size of the spyder and getting it around tight quarters. I have always recommended getting an appointment and only taking it in then. Better sitting in my garage that some parking lot.

Guess it will be how much BRP can expect dealers to do as they do have the right to refuse service regardless of the brand or issue. Multi-dealers will have to weigh the issue if forced by manufacturer on if they will remain a dealer or get out. This dealer had loads of 4 wheelers and water craft but only 4 Rykers one F3 and one RT.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Not particularly unusual - the Honda dealer here won't touch anything over 10 years old. Even if the model hasn't changed in 10 years.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ewdav18 View Post
    Hi Gene, You made me nervous I only have 14k on my 12 but I thought I would check. My service manager said Bring it in we will do anything you need done. She said that a few parts for 12 are not OEM available but they are parts not usually asked for Trailer hitch parts was what she mentioned. I asked if she had heard about maybe BRP announcing an end of life for a certain part she said no.. I live 12 miles from where the engine is cast and we ryde with some BRP employees maybe I will ask them if I can remember to....
    You are lucky and should not worry. Hang on to this dealer and aftermarket parts will still be around for some time....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

I don't know that it is all that bad. I don't think there are many, if any, Can-Am dealers that carry much in the way of Spyder parts. I really don't think that is a change, to any real degree. I get OEM Spyder parts for customers on a fairly regular basis. Plus parts for my 2008 GS. I haven't gotten every part, of course. But a fair spectrum. They almost always need to be ordered in. But that usually takes about a week. And I've yet to have a part that I could not get.

Eventually, I'm sure these older Spyder parts will be rare. But I don't think we are there just yet.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...