Thread: Checking oil

Spyder Garage

Default Checking oil

Does anyone have a good reason why we are supposed to run our Spyders at idle for 1/2 hr before checking the oil? Yes, I know it is a dry sump, but when you shut the engine off, the oil will drain back to the sump in just a few minutes. You don't have to run the engine for 30 minutes before shutting down.

Spyder Garage

The recommendation on Page 125 in the manual says ride 9 miles, and and let idle 10 minutes, check within 2 minutes and gives Reliable oil level for your 1330 engine. I've tried other ways and the oil always varies...... this way has always worked with no surprises, 5 years and 3 1330's running for me....IMG_0500.jpg
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    The recommendation on Page 125 in the manual says ride 9 miles, and and let idle 10 minutes, check within 2 minutes and gives Reliable oil level for your 1330 engine. I've tried other ways and the oil always varies...... this way has always worked with no surprises, 5 years and 3 1330's running for me....IMG_0500.jpg
    Your right. I knew that. Why did I suddenly think it was 25 minutes? Now to figure out a way to see the oil on the dipstick when you have fresh, clean oil in the sump. Easy when the oil is nice and dirty, not so easy when clean.

Spyder Garage

I think a lot of idling is worse for an engine than being off by a 1/16" of an inch on the dipstick. The best time to do an oil level check is at the end of a ride or during a ride at a gas station. You only need to let it idle for 30 seconds or so to get the oil level balanced out between the dry sump and the reservoir. And you don't have to wait that long to check unless you're using BRP or similar oils that tend to foam a lot. If there is any foam at the top of your dip stick, you need to wait until it's gone.

Yes, the oil will drain back into the dry sump somewhat. But it doesn't happen all that fast as I believe there is valving that is designed to prevent this from happening. But you have at least 2 minutes. And I would say you could do a fair amount longer without issue. All of the parameters surrounding the BRP check recommendations are probably far into the safe zone with a good deal of safe space provided.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The dry sump system is a pain, its to bad they couldn't use a sight glass some how!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

There are three scavenge pumps in the engine that return oil in the dry sump system to the oil tank. That's why the operator's guide says to run the engine at idle for 10 min after bringing it to normal operating temperature; to let the scavenge pumps do their work. That's normal operating temperature of the oil too, not the coolant which registers on the Temp gauge. The scavenge pumps are simple gear pumps and the guide says to check the oil level within two minutes because once the engine is turned off, the weight of the oil in the tank and gravity begins to force oil back through the scavenge pumps into the crankcase. If you wait more than 10 minutes you have no idea how much oil has flowed back into the crankcase. The two minutes has been determined to be an adequate time for the oil level in the tank to have dropped to a level that will still give you an accurate reading of the level relative to the Min mark on the dipstick. Since after two minutes, say 10 minutes for the sake of argument, if you attempt to measure the amount of oil on the dipstick there is no way you can accurately know how much oil has drained back into the crankcase and therefore what the total volume of oil is in the engine. That's why you are not supposed to check the level in a cold engine because of the risk of overfilling it if you take the level shown on the dipstick as accurate and add oil to what you think is a low oil level.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Wow Jaybros that was a quite in depth answer....3 scavenger pumps in these motors? What is the point of that? because BRP didn't want to put oil channels to the crankcase?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mavrik View Post
    Wow Jaybros that was a quite in depth answer....3 scavenger pumps in these motors? What is the point of that? because BRP didn't want to put oil channels to the oil pan?
    What oil pan?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have a 1330, put 5qts in it and ride it like you stole it. You don't have to check the oil because it doesn't use any. At least mine doesn't and that's what other people on this site have said. Well, maybe check it every now and then just incase you get a small leak you didn't know you had. Besides, you've got and idiot light on the dash that will tell you that you are low on oil if you lose any.

Spyder Garage

I agree with 2dogs that five qts and riding off in whatever manner one chooses will be fine because the 1330 ACE engine just does not use oil. It is also wise to check the level periodically because, IMO, betting on the idiot light is not wise because when it comes on it's time to stop the engine immediately. If you're in East Arm Pit on the far side of beyond replenishment oil might be hard to find.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

When I change my oil I always add 5 quarts and then another 8 ounces. Then I check every 2000 to 3000 miles. Has always worked for me.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Shawn Smoaks...shows that in his video also (if you don't know who he is check out youtube, he is a very accomplished mechanic at a spyder/bmw dealer and video individual) that he fills his machine up with 5 quarts and goes for a ride, he knows that level will be totally fine but checks it anyway after driving it quite some time only to add about 8oz.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I agree with 2dogs that five qts and riding off in whatever manner one chooses will be fine because the 1330 ACE engine just does not use oil. It is also wise to check the level periodically because, IMO, betting on the idiot light is not wise because when it comes on it's time to stop the engine immediately. If you're in East Arm Pit on the far side of beyond replenishment oil might be hard to find.
    If you do find yourself stuck in East Arm Pit in need of oil, any diesel grade oil will be ok. It should not contain the additives and slickeners that normal car oils have in them now days which will harm our wet clutches. It will mix ok and get you home in good shape.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-23-2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    That's why you are not supposed to check the level in a cold engine because of the risk of overfilling it if you take the level shown on the dipstick as accurate and add oil to what you think is a low oil level.
    I can attest to that! Last spring I decided to check the oil level after my RT had sat without starting all winter. The dipstick was totally dry. I did not add any oil but headed right out for a ride and checked the oil after. Right on the full mark!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

No, you have an Idiot lite that tells you don't have oil pressure. By that time it may be too late!!!!

Spyder Garage

The dry sump engine system is used on motorcycles and many other recreational vehicles because it allows for a compact engine design that can sit low in the frame. That lets the engine mount a lot lower to the frame and give you a lower center of gravity because you don't have another 4 or 5 inches of oil pan on the bottom of the engine. The oil reservoir can be located any place in the frame that is convenient. It is not real problem checking the oil like it is supposed to be checked. The same reasoning goes into having the cylinders slanted forward. That allows for a long stroke without increasing the height of the engine or raising the center of gravity. A sight glass would not do any good at all. It would not be any more accurate than the dipstick unless to ran the engine for several miles and then checked the oil. You don't have to stop at exactly 9 miles and check the oil. You can just get in the habit of checking your oil when you stop for gas or when you get home and shut it off in the garage. The reading will be accurate.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcoats1 View Post
    No, you have an Idiot lite that tells you don't have oil pressure. By that time it may be too late!!!!
    In court testimonies during a previous incarnation I watched more than one judge toss out a plaintiff's claim when he/she responded that they did not turn off the engine immediately when the no oil pressure light came on.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Level

All very helpful Options and TIPS. BRP has this oil check on the MONEY. I have a 2016 RTL and Always check the Oil after a run. My 2.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue