Spyder Garage

Default Parasitic battery drain?

I have a 2013 ST-L. The battery has drained down several times after only 3 days of non-use. I checked the "switch off" current and it is about 150 mA. This is after the bike has been off for at least an hour. Any suggestions on where this drain might be coming from or how to track it down?lo
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2019 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Title stutter

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The cause has been searched for many, many times. …. I don't remember anyone ever finding it. putting a battery dis-connect in the system would work ….. however there are parts of the system that need some juice so the Memory won't be lost …… good luck …. Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Play it safe, go to Auto Zone or ..... and buy a battery tender and when you come home and park it
    plug it in to the battery tender you battery will last for years
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by scubadown View Post
    I have a 2013 ST-L. The battery has drained down several times after only 3 days of non-use. I checked the "switch off" current and it is about 150 mA. This is after the bike has been off for at least an hour. Any suggestions on where this drain might be coming from or how to track it down?

Spyder Garage

I do have a battery tender but it still shouldn't have a 150mA current draw when off.

Spyder Garage

You have a running clock in there for one thing! Some may have some sort of security system with that key system right? those are just two things that I could think about that may draw power,
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

It is suppose to be less then 20 ma. So yes you do have a problem. So the procedure is to pull 1 fuse at a time until you find the circuit. I would start with the radio fuse. The radio was a problem with older spyder but not the 13s normally.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Just guessing here, but it might pay to check the drain after a bit more of a wait time than just an hour before you go too far..... IIRC the V-Twins scored a 'fix' to keep the throttle bodies closed for (supposedly) 40 mins after shut down (to stop run-on??) but on some Spyders that 40 mins seems to be an awfully long time & on others, it's barely 30 mins, if that!! You should be able to hear the stepper motor humming for a while after you shut down, but that should stop in about 40 mins. However, on my 2013 RT it goes off much closer to 30 mins, and yet I've heard others still going 2 hours later.... & that's gotta be tough on the battery! Still, maybe yours is set for a looonger period than just an hour, or maybe it just doesn't turn off fully at all?!

Worth checking maybe? See how long that load stays at/above 150mA, and maybe you could do the fuse pulling thing at the same time?! Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have the same issue on our 2012. I have never found the cause - so on the Battery Tender it goes. I can go about a week off the Tender before the cranking gets weak. I believe someone mentioned that some Spyders of this era had drain from of the radio units but do not recall specifics. Being out of warranty, we are living with it.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

When I got my 13 RTL one of the key's was missing. after reading about key programming, I seem to remember a caution about a battery drain if the programming wasn't closed out correctly.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 ST-L. The battery has drained down several times after only 3 days of non-use. I checked the "switch off" current and it is about 150 mA. This is after the bike has been off for at least an hour. Any suggestions on where this drain might be coming from or how to track it down?lo
    On my ST 2013, I identified that the USB adapter that is in the cigarette lighter adapter that I installed directly on the battery posts (above the frunk lip on the driver side, and yes there is a fuse) is draining my battery in about 2weeks to the point of not cranking the engine over. Removing the USB adapter and all is fine. Used another one, same senario.....

.....so removing it when not using it..... ��

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

On the 2010 to.2012 you can pull a relay and the timer will shut off. I can not remember which one. Its location is the bottom left relay. Also I leave my battery out of my Spyder all winter. I only loose the clock. Some may differ. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you have added any electrical accessories start there. A USB charger on an unswitched circuit will cause a drain.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. I'm getting a new VOM tomorrow with a better amp meter. I will pull fuses when I get it, with the radio being the first to try.

Spyder Garage

Just an update. With the new meter, my drain is under 20mA so everything is good. My old battery was just under 1.5 years old but I think it was the problem as it is slowly dropping voltage just sitting on the bench. Trying a MotoBatt MBTX24U this time.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just an update. With the new meter, my drain is under 20mA so everything is good. My old battery was just under 1.5 years old but I think it was the problem as it is slowly dropping voltage just sitting on the bench. Trying a MotoBatt MBTX24U this time.
    No need to give up on Yuasa. They have proven to be one of the best overall values for a m/c battery. They do need to be initially charged properly or you risk having them die early. I think that may be what happened to you.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The lifespan of a powersports battery is 1 day to 10 years. Sorry yours did not last as long as most. For the most part Yuasa is a good quality battery at a reasonable price. I hope the Motobatt works well for you.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    If you have added any electrical accessories start there. A USB charger on an unswitched circuit will cause a drain.
    I used to have LEDS wired directly to the batt with an off on switch but disc it this time. The only thing I have left extra is a usb charger for my phone directly to the batt but I only plug it in when I'm riding sometimes. That should only use power when it is plugged in right. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default Is that a question????

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    I used to have LEDS wired directly to the batt with an off on switch but disc it this time. The only thing I have left extra is a usb charger for my phone directly to the batt but I only plug it in when I'm riding sometimes. That should only use power when it is plugged in right. Thanks, Mike
    The bold red highlighted word-------- did you mean to ask a question????

Many USB ports DO cause a slow drain to the electrical system as stated above. Put that port on a switched circuit. AND use a relay and proper gauge wire for a higher amp draw.

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 10-19-2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: clarification
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I had exactly the same scenario happen to me, Scuba. 1 year old battery. I went with another Yuasa and it’s been great for 3 years. I didn’t mention a possible bad battery as a cause as you were getting a 150ma draw reading. Mine was only 20 or so. It did catch me out though, as I was using a battery tender which was hiding the fact that the battery on the way out, and it finally gave up the ghost on an overnight ride.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    The bold red highlighted word-------- did you mean to ask a question????

Many USB ports DO cause a slow drain to the electrical system as stated above. Put that port on a switched circuit. AND use a relay and proper gauge wire for a higher amp draw.

Lew L
    I used a Battery Tender cable directly to the battery then to a Battery Tender to USB cable when I needed it. I left the cable plugged in most of the time but not the phone. Does that matter? Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO